The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I spent so much of my pre teen energy trying to track down History of the World: Part 2. One of the rare times having the quick answers afforded by the internet would have improved my youth.

Heh. I'm pretty sure I watched this as a young child on TV (I wonder how much they left in), and asking my father if we could get part 2 from the video store. Saved me a lot of searching.

Heh. I'm pretty sure I watched this as a young child on TV (I wonder how much they left in), and asking my father if we could get part 2 from the video store. Saved me a lot of searching.

I definitely asked adults about it. Even those who worked at video stores. And no one seemed to know what I was talking about. Told me it didn't exist and that I was delusional.

Thankfully, I never started to sing 'Jews in Space' to prove I knew what I was talking about

You made it all the way through Part 1, but it was the jokes during the ending credits that started to lose you?
That's an embarrassing mistake on my part but since this is a comedy thread I'll leave it unedited.

Victim of The Night
Mel Brooks ranked:

1) Blazing Saddles
2) Young Frankenstein
3) Silent Movie
4) History of the World
5) 12 Chairs
6) High Anxiety
7) The Producers
8) Space Balls
9) Robin Hood Men in Tights
10) Dracula: Dead and Loving It
This is pretty close to my ranking except that I have this great love of HotWP1 that is shared by few so it would be flipped with Silent Movie.

Victim of The Night
I spent so much of my pre teen energy trying to track down History of the World: Part 2. One of the rare times having the quick answers afforded by the internet would have improved my youth.
Same.

This is pretty close to my ranking except that I have this great love of HotWP1 that is shared by few so it would be flipped with Silent Movie.

I'm pretty sure my love of History is pure nostalgia, so I pushed it down a bit.

Nostalgia clearly didn't save Spaceballs though. Now it just reminds me of having Whooping Cough

Victim of The Night
I'm pretty sure my love of History is pure nostalgia, so I pushed it down a bit.

Nostalgia clearly didn't save Spaceballs though. Now it just reminds me of having Whooping Cough
In my 30s I thought it was just nostalgia. Now in my late 40s, I genuinely love the movie again.

In my 30s I thought it was just nostalgia. Now in my late 40s, I genuinely love the movie again.
I probably haven't seen it for at least 25 years. Although I probably remember it better than whatever I watched ****ing yesterday

I definitely asked adults about it. Even those who worked at video stores. And no one seemed to know what I was talking about. Told me it didn't exist and that I was delusional.

Thankfully, I never started to sing 'Jews in Space' to prove I knew what I was talking about

I guess since I had parent watching it with me on TV, that cut out the, "didn't know what I was talking about part." But I think they explained the whole, "Part 1 is part of the joke, you don't start putting 'Part number' on the movies until the sequels happen. We just retro-actively call the first one Part 1."
I guess parental supervision had some benefits.

I can't think of many movie stars who have as many corroborating stories of what a monstrously shit human being they are.

Never read a single good thing about Chase. It's exclusively bad.
For what it's worth, here is a bit of a retrospective on Chase's shenanigans, including the aforementioned Will Ferrell chiming in on him.

Difficult to Work With: Why Chevy Chase Has So Many Hollywood Haters

I guess since I had parent watching it with me on TV, that cut out the, "didn't know what I was talking about part." But I think they explained the whole, "Part 1 is part of the joke, you don't start putting 'Part number' on the movies until the sequels happen. We just retro-actively call the first one Part 1."
I guess parental supervision had some benefits.
Ha! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that went crazy either looking for it... or expecting it!

From what I can figure anybody who loves Robin Hood: Men in Tights was probably eight to fifteen years old during the mid and late '90s, pre-DVD era, when RH: MIT played seemingly on a loop on Comedy Central for many years. They watched it over and over and over again before they were old enough to appreciate how awful it is, especially compared to Brooks' early, better films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What makes "Silent Movie" great is:

WARNING: spoilers below
"The only word spoken in the film is by Marcel Marceau, the mime. Brilliant!"

Saw the cartoon The Mouse That Jack Built (1959) when I was, like, six, seven. That was my introduction and a happy road it is.
~Cool Points for remarking on Rich Little btw~
And yeah, full agreement on Jack Benny's style.
Thinking back, I don't think I've watched one of his shows since, maybe, the early thirties. Crap. That's not good. I should hunt that down.

Been a sh#tload longer since watching What's My Line, but yeah, you guys are Epic lol
Ha! I don't think I ever saw that cartoon. Have to look it up.

Rochester was a great duo with Benny. One of his funniest lines that I recall was, "I went to a New Year's Eve party, but we weren't allowed to leave until our birthday." I think I was at a few parties like that...

Totally forgot about the Vacation movies. Definitely among the best of what I've seen of this list so far.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Harry Met Sally

Jess: Marriages don't break up on account of infidelity. It's just a symptom that something else is wrong.
Harry Burns: Oh really? Well, that "symptom" is f@cking my wife.

I think some of the really enjoyable spots were the old couples saying how they got together. My favorite was the two who talked at the same time. He'd state something, she'd add more detail, and neither one talked over the other. There was a beautiful flow and harmony to them where you could hear each of them perfectly and not miss anything. That's so rare.
I really loved that. Such an adorable couple.
And then to end the film with Harry and Sally doing the same thing. VERY nice.

The Gold Rush

Reporter: Gee! This will make a wonderful story.

Which, in a way is the design of a Charlie Chaplin film. Making a wonderful story. One that touches the heart, makes it laugh, and cry - only a little bit.

Since I didn't cast my vote regarding Keaton or Chaplin. Raised on and forever adore and admire the Little Tramp. I've only just seen full Keaton films and the man is a master daredevil comedian of the highest order. So it's a tough call with all that history vs a new discovery. Keaton impresses but Chaplin endears. Ya know,

The Producers (Original)

Franz Liebkind: Not many people know it, but the Fuhrer was a terrific dancer.

Firstly, THANK YOU @Holden Pike for posting "I'm Wet" and @mark f for posting my blue blanket. The two hilarious scenes set the tone between Wilder and Mostell's characters, not to mention the film itself. A top-shelf Mel Brooks film that did not make my list. The one I chose I didn't think would make the Countdown originally but wanted to express some love for it.
Anyway, The Producers is a definite must for this Countdown.

Wayne's World
I CAN'T talk about this film. PLEASE don't make me! I won't gif. I won't quote. I JUST CAN'T.

Look, listen--

I mean yeah, when it came out, f@ckin laughed and laughed, but dammit, it f@ckin ruined Jimi Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" for me. For the longest time, I'd get that inane, agitating Dana Carvey fox impression. And dammit, I LOOVE "Foxy Lady" but I couldn't listen and NOT unsee that.
Oh, sure, I'm better now. Therapy was dicey and a bit felony-ish, but it's about talking things through, right? And yeah, sure, I see the point of "continuing" to take one's medication.
It's a continuing battle, sure. And I got a handle on it. Really.
Just, don't make me revisit that terrible icky place again --
PLEASE

Oh, OH NO! IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

You put a knive in heart, Mr. Dana Carvey, and all I can say to you, sir, is, F@CKIN OWWWIEEE

Have not, will not see Step Brothers. Saw a small portion, got up, told my roommate "Enjoy" and never looked back.
Though I have found an intriguing paradox. Comedic actors I care very little for, I do whole-heartedly enjoy as voice actors in various animations. Ferrell is an excellent example that for the most part, not a fan of. But I truly love him in Megamind as my One Pointer. Kooky.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Clark: Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?
Eddie: Naw, I'm doing just fine, Clark.

My preference is for the first Vacation film. I am glad to see it make it here as a very worthwhile addition.

Watched: 17 out of 22 (77.27%)
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Ha! I don't think I ever saw that cartoon. Have to look it up.

Rochester was a great duo with Benny. One of his funniest lines that I recall was, "I went to a New Year's Eve party, but we weren't allowed to leave until our birthday." I think I was at a few parties like that...
LOL me too.

I'm sure you'd get a kick out of it. Everything that made the Jack Benny Show in mouse form.