The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Stroszek
(1977)

A drunk, who spent time in jail, and a prostitute decide to move to America after having trouble with some criminals, and along with them, an older man. They think they will have a better life in America but things turn for the worst.

It was nice to watch a German film as I had a German Language class in high school and really didn't need to read the subs.

I haven't seen many of Herzog's films, however, I did enjoy this watch.

I know Werner Herzog was in The Mandalorian and one of the criminals was played by Wilhelm von Homburg, which was in Ghostbuster II.

Keep an eye out when watching Adam's Apples. The first link I used the subtitles were a couple seconds off. I quickly found a good link though.
The only thing I could find for Adam's Apples was no subs. I can use that link you found.

Stroszek
(1977)

A drunk, who spent time in jail, and a prostitute decide to move to America after having trouble with some criminals, and along with them, an older man. They think they will have a better life in America but things turn for the worst.

It was nice to watch a German film as I had a German Language class in high school and really didn't need to read the subs.

I haven't seen many of Herzog's films, however, I did enjoy this watch.

I know Werner Herzog was in The Mandalorian and one of the criminals was played by Wilhelm von Homburg, which was in Ghostbuster II.
I'm a little surprised that's your first Herzog. I take it you haven't seen his remake of Nosferatu then. I know you said 70's horror movies bore you and that one honestly leaves a number of people cold (at least on their first viewing), so I guess I can't say I'd recommend it to you. But he has made other movies. I personally always think Aguirre is the place to start (and then Even Dwarfs Started Small), but I also don't have the same appreciation for Fitzcarraldo that other people do.

I'm a little surprised that's your first Herzog. I take it you haven't seen his remake of Nosferatu then. I know you said 70's horror movies bore you and that one honestly leaves a number of people cold (at least on their first viewing), so I guess I can't say I'd recommend it to you. But he has made other movies. I personally always think Aguirre is the place to start (and then Even Dwarfs Started Small), but I also don't have the same appreciation for Fitzcarraldo that other people do.
It's not my first. I have seen Nosferatu and Rescue Dawn. If you read what I wrote, I have seen very little of his work. I didn't say this was my first.

Anomalisa
(Kaufman 2015)
Have you seen any other Charlie Kaufman movies (either written or directed)? For some reason I wouldn't have thought he would be your cup of tea.

Written:
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Directed:
Synecdoche; New York
(Anomalisa)
I'm Thinking of Ending Things

It's not my first. I have seen Nosferatu and Rescue Dawn. If you read what I wrote, I have seen very little of his work. I didn't say this was my first.
Sorry, I read that too quickly. Misread it.
Re-reading it, I wonder if my internal voice just dropped the 'm' on "many".

Have you seen any other Charlie Kaufman movies (either written or directed)? For some reason I wouldn't have thought he would be your cup of tea.

Written:
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Directed:
Synecdoche; New York
(Anomalisa)
I'm Thinking of Ending Things
I don't know if Kaufman is my cup of tea per se, I'm more plugged into older movies. My favorite current working director is Kelly Reichardt, I've been meaning to see her latest film I have seen the rest of her films.

Of Kafuman's film I've seen:
Being John Malkovich (loved this one)
Adaptation (really liked this until the ending, but I might need another watch)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (really liked this)

and now of course Anamolisa (very clever title and well done)

I don't know if Kaufman is my cup of tea per se, I'm more plugged into older movies. My favorite current working director is Kelly Reichardt, I've been meaning to see her latest film I have seen the rest of her films.

Of Kafuman's film I've seen:
Being John Malkovich (loved this one)
Adaptation (really liked this until the ending, but I might need another watch)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (really liked this)

and now of course Anamolisa (very clever title and well done)

I've been interested in seeing Synecdoche, New York, why wasn't in nominated
Well, as cups of teas go, the aged, curdled milk didn't cause you to spit it out.

To the credit of the nomination, you were already aware of and had an interest in Synecdoche, New York. You had not heard of Anomalisa, so it brought it to your attention.

For Reichardt, are you talking Showing Up (is this out yet?) or First Cow (from right before the pandemic started)?

I forgot the opening line.
So, just crunching the numbers there, every 2K of disc would be 6-7 bookcases (not an inconceivable number in a house). If Phoenix has been getting 2K/year for, let's say 5 years (and assuming they aren't getting rid of any), that's about 33 bookcases. Now, they said they just stack them in a room (it sounds like free standing, which I wasn't expecting), so that changes things a lot. But, um, 33 seems like a lot of book cases in my mind's eye.

I will admit, even with streaming and 4K blu-rays, I'm still a little surprised regular blu-rays are going for that cheap (the ones I end up buying sure aren't.) But I'm not really going to places that sell other things that might have a bargain bin for movies.
I am actually wondering just how many physical discs @PHOENIX74 has at this point.
I did a count, and I have 16 large bookshelves lining the walls of my place (and I have a plan for freestanding ones in strategic places, because wall space is nearly finished.) Roughly, 400-500 will fit in one, but many are double stacked. I have one of them dedicated to film literature. One bookshelf caters to television series, and another documentaries and other non-movie media.

The question of how many physical discs I have is one that has fascinated me for a while now. So many cases hold 2 discs, or more, and I really want to know how many I have. The task of counting them would take days - and so I've never taken it on. It's a hard thing to even estimate.

Well, I'll say for @MovieGal, since I'm also an apartment dweller and space is really limited for me, I picked up some of these recently to extend the storage area for my collection:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZMKLY...p_mob_ap_share

They're stackable. I've stacked four of them on top of each other on top of my 40" high bookshelf as spillover. They seem space efficient. I'm not sure how many you can stack before you'd have to worry about them tipping over.
I used to keep just discs in storage containers similar to those. To hold my DVDs, lets just say it's 10,000 - then I'd need 358 of those things. As it's $28 for one that holds 28, it would cost me $10,000, which isn't an attractive prospect. I'm imagining walls of them, my home looking like one of those rooms they store microfilm in at a big library.

To free-stack without tipping, you need to build at least 5 or 6 stacks next to each other so they give mutual support.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Well, as cups of teas go, the aged, curdled milk didn't cause you to spit it out.

To the credit of the nomination, you were already aware of and had an interest in Synecdoche, New York. You had not heard of Anomalisa, so it brought it to your attention.

For Reichardt, are you talking Showing Up (is this out yet?) or First Cow (from right before the pandemic started)?
First Cow. I've been meaning to watch it, well one of these day I hope too.

I did a count, and I have 16 large bookshelves lining the walls of my place (and I have a plan for freestanding ones in strategic places, because wall space is nearly finished.) Roughly, 400-500 will fit in one, but many are double stacked. I have one of them dedicated to film literature. One bookshelf caters to television series, and another documentaries and other non-movie media.

The question of how many physical discs I have is one that has fascinated me for a while now. So many cases hold 2 discs, or more, and I really want to know how many I have. The task of counting them would take days - and so I've never taken it on. It's a hard thing to even estimate.

I used to keep just discs in storage containers similar to those. To hold my DVDs, lets just say it's 10,000 - then I'd need 358 of those things. As it's $28 for one that holds 28, it would cost me $10,000, which isn't an attractive prospect. I'm imagining walls of them, my home looking like one of those rooms they store microfilm in at a big library.

To free-stack without tipping, you need to build at least 5 or 6 stacks next to each other so they give mutual support.
Yes. At $28/28 discs, that would drive up your average price of dvd from $1 to $2.

But more seriously, I'm in a city apartment sized dwelling, so I don't have an immediate reference point, but 16 bookshelves seems like a lot. However scattered across mutliple rooms, that seems... do-able? I don't know. Are you starting to run short on space? Do you foresee your purchasing habits slowing down due to lack of physical space? (I actually shifted towards buying what I could digitally* a number of years ago just because I hit my physical space limit quickly and have been doing what I can to expand what I can store in my limited space as there are still physical discs that I still want to be buying).

*: Fwiw for people who also do this, KinoNow sells their movies digitally that you can download without DRM, if such things matter to you. Their selection is, well, eclectic and it is only one label, but it's something (but I don't think you'll ever find something going for less than $4.99 on there).

I do feel like this whole conversation should have gone into its own separate thread in the Home Theater & DVD subforum, but it also always feels like we're only a couple posts short of wrapping up the conversation.
Apologies to everyone who's taking part of this HOF.

I do feel like this whole conversation should have gone into its own separate thread in the Home Theater & DVD subforum, but it also always feels like we're only a couple posts short of wrapping up the conversation.
Apologies to everyone who's taking part of this HOF.
You're fine Any convo is good for an HoF thread. So often these HoF threads are mostly movie reviews with little discussion and very quiet. I like to see more discussion, the more the merrier!

I forgot the opening line.
@PHOENIX74 OK so I gotta ask has any of your DVD/BluRay mega-stacks ever fell over? That would be a pain to pick back up
I have several memories of one tipping, which I tend to rescue, but not without a few falling from the top - usually right on my toes.

Yes. At $28/28 discs, that would drive up your average price of dvd from $1 to $2.

But more seriously, I'm in a city apartment sized dwelling, so I don't have an immediate reference point, but 16 bookshelves seems like a lot. However scattered across mutliple rooms, that seems... do-able? I don't know. Are you starting to run short on space? Do you foresee your purchasing habits slowing down due to lack of physical space? (I actually shifted towards buying what I could digitally* a number of years ago just because I hit my physical space limit quickly and have been doing what I can to expand what I can store in my limited space as there are still physical discs that I still want to be buying).

*: Fwiw for people who also do this, KinoNow sells their movies digitally that you can download without DRM, if such things matter to you. Their selection is, well, eclectic and it is only one label, but it's something (but I don't think you'll ever find something going for less than $4.99 on there).
Something I can tell you is I used to have movie posters, framed photographs, clocks etc etc etc on the walls of my place. This is a side to life that has disappeared to me, and now against walls there are only Bookshelves and free-standing stacks of DVDs - my life's obsession has arrived, and I'm somewhat detached from the kind of home I grew up in (which would perhaps have two bookshelves in it - on which books were on.) I still have the framed movie posters and other stuff - it's just stored in my outside storage room where various items go to gather cobwebs and dust.

Previously I lived in an inner-city apartment, and I actually did some home improvement which converted all the walls into shelving - so instead of bookshelves, all the walls themselves were shelves. I had way less back then, but what I did have still filled most of the walls of that smaller place.

Yeah - sorry guys for this long-winded conversation. Sometimes you simply don't realise how long one is going to develop into.

I have several memories of one tipping, which I tend to rescue, but not without a few falling from the top - usually right on my toes.

Something I can tell you is I used to have movie posters, framed photographs, clocks etc etc etc on the walls of my place. This is a side to life that has disappeared to me, and now against walls there are only Bookshelves and free-standing stacks of DVDs - my life's obsession has arrived, and I'm somewhat detached from the kind of home I grew up in (which would perhaps have two bookshelves in it - on which books were on.) I still have the framed movie posters and other stuff - it's just stored in my outside storage room where various items go to gather cobwebs and dust.

Previously I lived in an inner-city apartment, and I actually did some home improvement which converted all the walls into shelving - so instead of bookshelves, all the walls themselves were shelves. I had way less back then, but what I did have still filled most of the walls of that smaller place.

Yeah - sorry guys for this long-winded conversation. Sometimes you simply don't realise how long one is going to develop into.
I want to see pictures I don't know about anyone else but I'm fascinated by the description of all your movies.