The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

This comedy list sure is a tough one for me. I haven’t seen much and don’t really care for much.

I don’t think I’ll like Wayne’s World. Haven’t seen it as far as I know. But seen a few scenes. Don’t think Mike Myers is generally for me.

I’m actually a little bit interested in The Producers though. But yeah, haven’t seen that either.

I do like The Producers and that's surprising since it's a musical(ish), however it's not even in my top 5 Mel Brooks films
1. History of the World: Part 1
2.Young Frankenstien
3.High Anxiety
4.Spaceballs
5.Robin Hood: Men In Tights
6.Blazing Saddles
7.The Twelve Chairs
8.Silent Movie
9. The Producers
10. To Be or Not to Be

But that's more of a testament to how highly I regard Mel Brooks

I will second @Holden Pike shout out for the Curb Your Enthusiasm scene, which is also the greatest comedy show ever made

Haven't seen Wayne's World

Hmmm...I'd slot them as such:

1.Young Frankenstein
2.Blazing Saddles
3. The Producers
4.Silent Movie
5.High Anxiety
6.Spaceballs
7. History of the World: Part 1
8. To Be or Not to Be
9. Robin Hood: Men In Tights

Haven't seen "Twelve Chairs".

I love the Producer's. Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are great together. Dick Shawn is insane as Hitler "Vut are zees Baby's? the Fuhrer doesn't say Baby!"

I liked Wayne's World when it came out but never had an urge to see it again. I like Mike Myers especially "Sprockets" which is just a one joke skit. "Now is the time when we dance"
Neither of these is on my list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Happy to hear that you're a Jack Benny fan! I watched his show every week, and it was totally unique on TV. Even listened to some of his radio shows, but seeing him on video was much funnier, due to his facial expressions.

I found some of his old TV shows on Netflix or somewhere, and watched them. They're as funny now as they were then. No one could ever imitate Jack Benny's style. Rich Little could impersonate him, but Jack Benny as a performer could not really be copied by anyone else.

Nice clip of Arlene Francis. I loved her as a kid on What's My Line, but after getting older I was attracted by Dorothy Kilgallen. I think that Citizen Rules and I are the biggest What's My Line fans on Movie Forums!..
Saw the cartoon The Mouse That Jack Built (1959) when I was, like, six, seven. That was my introduction and a happy road it is.
~Cool Points for remarking on Rich Little btw~
And yeah, full agreement on Jack Benny's style.
Thinking back, I don't think I've watched one of his shows since, maybe, the early thirties. Crap. That's not good. I should hunt that down.

Been a sh#tload longer since watching What's My Line, but yeah, you guys are Epic lol

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Speaking of What's My Line, Pamela Tiffin was a guest panelist on that show several times at least in the 1960s.

Count me as a fan of Dorothy too...and Arlene as well
I said "Epic", right? Yeah, lol, Yeah, f@ckin Epic

Saw the cartoon The Mouse That Jack Built (1959) when I was, like, six, seven. That was my introduction and a happy road it is.
~Cool Points for remarking on Rich Little btw~
And yeah, full agreement on Jack Benny's style.
Thinking back, I don't think I've watched one of his shows since, maybe, the early thirties. Crap. That's not good. I should hunt that down.

Been a sh#tload longer since watching What's My Line, but yeah, you guys are Epic lol

You mean from your early thirties, right? Not "the thirties?"

Believe if or not, I've never seen Roger Rabbit before, but they're taking it off of Tubi in a few days so, there you go.

Twenty minutes in and I'm eagerly hoping this scores top 30 in this HoF. Gritty noir and skit cartoons are complete opposites, but Zemeckis combined the two seamlessly. Masterful stylism.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Second Pit Stop (20 movies) 📽️

I present here the rank of the films by the arithmetic average rating according to 13 world wide movie communities + one group of critics. 🎞️ In a few words, That's what the World thinks!

List of The Communities by Language:  

---
Rank List (scale made equal to 1-10)

1. 88. The Kid 8,38
2. 83. The Gold Rush 8,29
3. 86. To Be or Not To Be 8,23
4. 99. Fargo 8,07

5. 100. Sullivan’s Travels 7,86
6. 85. One, Two, Three 7,73
7. 98. The Lady Eve 7,66
8. 93. Evil Dead II 7,59
9. 94. Withnail and I 7,51

10. 84. When Harry Met Sally... 7,43
11. 89. House 7,36
12. 97. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut 7,28
13. 82. The Producers (1967) 7,27
14. 96. Home Alone 7,00

15. 81. Wayne's World 6,57
16. 91. Pee Wee's Big Adventure 6,53
17. 87. Clueless 6,53
18. 92. The 40 Year Old Virgin 6,30
19. 95. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery 6,28
20. 90. Stripes 6,16
---

P.S. If someone knows the main web site for the German language based film community, I will add it too.

Forgot about The Producers... my familiarity is with the remake though. Noteworthy, but not a Top 10 consideration for me.

If @Diehl40 allows me, I'd like to do one of my "pit-stops" for the first batch...

Decade Breakdown
  • 1900s = 0
  • 1910s = 0
  • 1920s = 2
  • 1930s = 0
  • 1940s = 3
  • 1950s = 0
  • 1960s = 2
  • 1970s = 1
  • 1980s = 5
  • 1990s = 6
  • 2000s = 1
  • 2010s = 0
  • 2020s = 0

The 90s and the 80s dominating which, when you consider what I think is the "average age" of the MoFos, it kinda figures.

Recurring Directors
  • Preston Sturges = 2
  • Charlie Chaplin = 2

Also, if I'm not mistaken, we only have two foreign films so far (Withnail & I and Hausu) and one animated film (South Park)
The 90's and 80's domination continues lol, I would like to see the 2000's to catch up that was a good year for comedies as well

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Mel Brooks has a few reveals to come, I expect, but since folks are playing Rank His Filmography, here is how I grade the eleven features he directed...

Young Frankenstein (A+)
The Producers (A)
Blazing Saddles (A-)
The Twelve Chairs (B+)
History of the World Part I (B)
Silent Movie (B-)
High Anxiety (C+)
Spaceballs (C-)
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (D)
Dracula: Dead & Loving It (D-)
Life Stinks (F)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I forgot the opening line.
The Producers was my #8 - and it opened my eyes when I was younger to the fact that films pre-1975ish could not only be funny, they could be hysterically, roll around in the aisle funny. Gene Wilder (a man who contended that when in private, he was a most unfunny person) just exploded onto that screen with a comedic talent that was unmatched at that time. Zero Mostel was no slouch either, but they were both set in motion by Mel Brooks and an idea that was ever so beautiful, which lampooned show business as much as it did Hitler and the Nazis. "Springtime for Hitler" (what the film was almost called) went down in history and was revived for a Broadway musical and a remake. The Producers shouldn't be this low on this list - so I hope all the subsequent entries blow my toes off. That first act is absolutely riotous, and the film can't keep that momentum up, but there are plenty of ultra-funny moments all the way through, and this remains one of my favourite comedies to this day. From the great opening credits to "Prisoners of Love" - I love love love love The Producers.

Wayne's World is okay - I have to admit I haven't seen it in a while. While the film has some very funny moments, I never really gelled with the main two characters. This was a handy one for Mike Myers, but Dana Carvey never really took off, and his abysmal The Master of Disguise made him a pariah (he also appeared in Jack and Jill, a bad penny for bad films.) The Bohemian Rhapsody scene was great, and lives on in popular culture, but this film is not a favourite.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 13
Films that have been on my radar : 5
Films I've never even heard of : 2

Films from my list : 2

#82 - My #8 - The Producers - (1967)
One pointer - Brewster McCloud (1970)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Brooks rankings, because why not:

The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Silent Movie
Young Frankenstein
Life Stinks
Spaceballs
High Anxiety
Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Haven't seen the rest.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Producers was one of the movies that I immediately put on my list when this countdown was announced, even though it's been years since I watched it. I rewatched it before completing my list, and that just guaranteed its place on my list. It was even funnier than I remembered. It was #8 on my list.

I haven't seen the whole movie of Wayne's World, but I've seen enough scenes of it on TV to know that it's not my type of humor.

It looks like the only Brooks I haven't seen is The Twelve Chairs.
As a child I really loved his stuff, and was apparently young enough to really enjoy Spaceballs, but was old enough that by the time Life Stinks or Robinhood: Men in Tights came out, I was no longer finding his new movies funny. I just stayed away from Dracula: Dead & Loving it at the time.

I hadn't really revisited his stuff for a decade or so when some friends wanted to do a Mel Brooks marathon probably more than a decade ago. Unfortunately they were also about a decade younger than me, so I guess RH-MiT and D-D&L were amongst the movies they included. Oddly they left out Blazing Saddles. I did finally get to see The Producers out of it. It had its moments, but in contrast to my childhood memory of his comedies, I found myself laughing a lot less, and I think I preferred Gene Wilder in, "I'm on the verge of breaking," not constantly hysterical, but that might have just been the acquired image I'd developed of him from my childhood years.

Young Frankenstein, I remember still laughing at, and in all fairness, maybe I should have revisited before submitting my ballot (but I'll get into why I cut my revisits short once we get Rob Reiner on this list). By HotWP1, I don't know if it was the repetition of jokes, being overly-familiar with the comedy*, and who knows what else, I found myself unfortunately laughing a lot less than when I was a kid.
(*: Despite not having seen it in decades, when a joke's set up happened, I'd then remember what the punchline was before it happened/was delivered. I think one of aspects of comedy is getting something that's unexpected, and can't help but wonder if the reason why some jokes burn out after enough repetition is just losing surprise. I also wonder why some comedy goes this way, and other comedy doesn't. The rake effect is the only type of joke that has an obvious reason why it might just gets more funny with each viewing. I suspect awkward, drawn-out deadpan comedy also goes the funnier route with subsequent viewings.)

With Spaceballs... well, people talk about reboots of franchises from their youth somehow ruining the experience of watching movies from their youth. In my case, re-watching the movie from my youth ruined the movie from my youth. It's still certainly meme-able, and I've wondered if it's a really bad idea rewatching too much Brooks (or maybe too much of the wrong Brooks) together. But my inklings are Holden's rating of it might not be off for adult-me.

My opinion of Robin Hood did not improve. Dracula... well, I think by that point, I might have actually liked it better than Robin Hood, which wasn't saying much.

All of this to say, Most of the ones worth rating, I haven't seen since I was way too young (I saw High Anxiety and Silent Movie growing up, but they weren't in the rotation a lot).

Outside of this countdown, I already had vague plans to rewatch Blazing Saddles at some non-committal point just to see what I think of it now. I know one of the film podcasts I listen to re-reviewed it in the past 10 years and they were still very positive on it. So that gives some hope. But maybe I've also just become one of those old curmudgeons who can no longer laugh at jokes with punchlines.

So, that's my pre-emptive thoughts (or lack of them) on Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles (and likely Spaceballs). I can't tell if History of the World Part I is likely to make it, and really just can't remember how funny I found it on that rewatch. I'd have assumed it was more of a favorite than The Producers, but that might just be over-projecting my viewing habits from my youth. I guess my only advice to myself is, don't binge Brooks too close together.

I've seen The Producers several times earlier in my life and I loved it. Not only were Mostel and Wilder hilarious, but so were Kenneth Mars and Dick Shawn. I really love Dick Shawn in most of the films he appeared in---even if I didn't care for the rest of the cast, I was sure to laugh at Shawn's antics. Haven't seen any of the other incarnations of The Producers and really have no wish to. Glad to see this film made it even if I cast my vote for other Mel movies.

Wayne's World is a movie I like but I've seen it twice and I think I'm good. I'm also one of the people who thinks it worked better in short form but the movie worked well enough. I'll have to disagree with @KeyserCorleone though...I couldn't stand Tia Carrere in it. Thought her singing sucked. She was fine eye-candy though, if that's what you meant, Keyser.
There will be an appearance of a Saturday Night Live skit-turned-movie on my list and an appearance in a few movies with some stars from SNL.

So, nothing for my list but there was a great choice and a decent choice, so the countdown continues to go well as far I'm concerned.

My list #8 Stripes THE List #90

72 points, 4 lists
Step Brothers
Director

Adam McKay, 2008

Starring

Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Mary Steenburgen, Richard Jenkins

Reply to Topic