The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

@Diehl40 I believe there’s a typo in the countdown list, not showing gold rush but showing what I’m assuming to be one of tomorrows

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
When Harry Met Sally.... is one of my favorite movies. Many rom-coms that I considered for my list leaned more towards romance and not as much towards comedy, but When Harry Met Sally.... has a nice blend of both. It was #4 on my list.

The Gold Rush is another good Chaplin movie that didn't make my list.

I guess predictions for tomorrow:

In a twist, I don't think it's actually going to be The Producers.

Sid & Nancy (1986)
Alive (1993)

When Harry Met Sally is probably the top movie to introduce anyone to the rom-com genre. I've only seen it once, way back when but I remember enough of it to know that I loved it, and Meg Ryan's charm and Billy Crystal's humor were the main reasons for that. I truly need to see it again.

The Gold Rush is my all-time favorite Charlie Chaplin movie and on LB I believe I gave it a 5/5 stars. To me, it's perfect because it made me laugh all the way through, or just smile with delight at Chaplin's inventiveness. I really need to buy that sucker...if money weren't so tight right now! But, again, I didn't put Chaplin or Keaton on my list...mainly movies that I've seen more than once and that I can still watch, not matter what the era, and laugh like it's the first time I've seen it.

So far:
#8.My list Stripes #90. Countdown list

I'll say The Producers and The Waterboy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

70 points, 5 lists
The Producers
Director

Mel Brooks, 1967

Starring

Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder, Estelle Winwood, Christopher Hewett

71 points, 6 lists
Wayne's World
Director

Penelope Spheeris, 1992

Starring

Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Rob Lowe, Tia Carrere

Wayne's World was #34 on the MoFo Directed by Women List. This is the first appearance of the original The Producers.

Not seen The Producers. Wayne's World is another of those "amusing when I saw it as a youngster" but I didn't even contemplate it for the best comedies ever.

mattiasflgrtll6
The truth is in here
It's probably way too early for The Producers.
I guess I was wrong, but I'm kinda shocked!

Absolutely loved The Producers when I first watched it as a kid and whilst it may have lost a little of its lustre for me over the years it would still have been a lock for a ballot had I made one. Never seen Wayne's World, not even sure I've seen any snippets from it other than the Bohemian Rhapsody scene that was aways being trotted out, maybe one day I will but it's probably not that likely.

Seen: 10/20

The Producers is great, but didn't make my ballot. I have seen Wayne's World years ago and have it on dvd, but am not a big fan.

Seen: 20/20

Reply to Topic