Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/Constantine_City_of_Demons.png

Constantine: City of Demons - The Movie - (2018)

I'm not a huge fan of this kind of animation, but I thought I'd give Constantine a go. I've heard a few good things about the 2005 Keanu Reeves adaptation, so I thought it might give me some idea as to how much I'd enjoy it. I found this mildly entertaining and a 90 minute diversion but it's not going to stick in my memory for long - I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff (Paprika, Akira etc) so John Constantine and his magic demon fighting seemed fairly tame. Interesting ending though, with a character having to make a huge sacrifice to save his daughter.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

RRR (S. S. Rajamouli, 2022)

holy shit this is a masterpiece. i don't think i've ever seen a film where i've so deeply felt all the intended emotions like i did watching this. there's a few moments where i'd think "wow, this is such an emotional high. seems risky to not make this the finale" and i was always met with an even higher high and no matter how over-the-top the action got it never took away from the emotion. if the film wasn't basically perfect i'd bitch about there not being more songs but, you know, the film is basically perfect. i cried at least three times.

holy shit this is a masterpiece. i don't think i've ever seen a film where i've so deeply felt all the intended emotions like i did watching this. there's a few moments where i'd think "wow, this is such an emotional high. seems risky to not make this the finale" and i was always met with an even higher high and no matter how over-the-top the action got it never took away from the emotion. if the film wasn't basically perfect i'd bitch about there not being more songs but, you know, the film is basically perfect. i cried at least three times.
I hope one of those times was during the suspenders dance.

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble!

This will of course be retitled Carbuncle overseas.
Hopefully it won't eat itself, though:

Did you watch this yet, by the way?:

29th Hall of Fame

Going Overboard (1989) -

I might as well briefly explain what I enjoyed about the film to get it out of the way. For one, I enjoyed the two terrorists who were sent to board the ship as they seemed to be having a lot of fun. Also, I'm generally a sucker for dreams, hallucinations, and other scenes which occur in a character's head and, while those scenes weren't great per se, I enjoyed a couple shots in them, like the overhead shot of Sandler in a straight jacket and the darkness surrounding the boxing ring. Finally, I suppose it was cool how the frame narrative was occurring at the same time as the seemingly present day cruise ship scenes. That's about all I can say about this film though as I disliked just about everything else. Bad comedy films usually have a few jokes here and there which I find clever, but virtually every single joke in this film missed the mark for me and made little to no sense. The few jokes which did make sense weren't particularly clever and were below average or competent at best. Given the opening scene, the film is clearly aware that it's a bad comedy film, but this scene actually does the film more harm than good. We're clearly asked to root for Shecky, but since his jokes are just as bad as Dickie's, it makes it hard to care about his outcome. In addition, virtually every single actor in this film (Adam Sandler, included) lacked charisma, minus the aforementioned two terrorists. I would've been fine if everyone gave hammy, over-the-top performances as this might've gotten a few laughs out of me, but virtually everyone here didn't seem to be having any fun, nor did they appear to be into the film. Finally, with the exception of a few shots I mentioned up above, the camerawork wasn't that good either. The (unintentional?) Dutch angles looked godawful, some of the camera angles were so poor it was difficult to follow scenes of characters simply moving around, and the chase scene at the end was overlong and humdrum (Sandler changing his shirt in the middle of it was nice though). So yeah, just a really awful movie which is a strong contender for the worst film I've ever seen.

[quote=Rockatansky;2311147]The bolded was deeply relatable.

I think my problem with Red Buttons is that he strongly resembles a former president who I am not a fan of, so anytime I see him onscreen I associate him with that former president. But I also find him really bland and lame. He's the worst part in The Longest Day, a movie I otherwise think is quite good. (I saw it pop up on the Criterion Channel recently, so am itching to give it a rewatch, even though I own it on Blu-ray.) I guess I wanted more Roddy McDowall and think they should have switched roles, or at least their relative screentime. We could have had more scenes of McDowall clutching his leg to remind us of his condition.

I can't recall how many times I've watched this movie, but it numbers well into the teens, so this discussion caught my eye. I really liked the Red Buttons character and Hackman's character. I loved that Hackman's character was introduced as a minister who has been questioning his faith, all of a sudden thrust into the role of hero. I would agree that Borgnine's Mike Rogo's anger was a little over the top and I HATED that both Roddy McDowell and Stella Stevens bought it...I think Linda Rogo was pure shock value, because a whole lot of time was spent making us fall in love with this character and then they just snatched her from us ten minutes before the end. They should have lost Carol Lynley instead...her character re-defined annoying.

Predator - 1987

I know that there are a lot of people who enjoy this movie, but I just really did not like this one very much. Some of the scenes of this movie I feel could have been cut out, and I was just bored for most of it. We did not see the ugly mother****er until one hour in, but that was what I liked about the movie. Once the boring first two acts were finished, the protagonist finally battles the titular monster that has been killing all of his allies. I liked that the allies were wiped out in order from useless to most useful. I found the characters to be rather bland and flat, since I did not really care for them. I never seen the Japanese art film House before, but I am pretty sure that the each character wiped out one-by-one thing applied for that one as well. After Predator, I felt rather an experience that was lukewarm(Did not like or hate this film). I just do not like action movies, I am not that kind of guy who is into them or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I prefer Bruce Willis over him, and Die Hard is a preferred action movie for me, and he kind of makes me laugh when I watch Moonlighting. As for Predator, I just do not need that movie in my life, again, I am not an action movie guy, and prefer comedies, dramas, surrealistic, and musicals as my genres.

Predator Rating -

Widows (2018)

The acting in this movie is so incredible, where I think an average cast would bring this rating down considerably. The script is still good, but its a little bit of a slow burn for a heist movie. Its more emotional than action-driven.

29th Hall of Fame

Goldfinger (1964) -

This is the second Bond film I've seen (the first one being Skyfall). While the Bond franchise hasn't been given much focus on my watchlist so far, this film made me more eager to check out a few others (I'll probably watch them in order). That's not to say I loved this film per se, but that I enjoyed the sum of its parts well enough. The goofy spy action vibes might not appeal to everyone, but I think the film found the right balance to make them work. As a result, the various spy gadgets on Bond's car, the hidden areas and trap doors in Goldfinger's stud farm, Oddjob's extreme strength, and even the occasional cheesy effects impressed me quite a bit. The action in the first half hour, particularly the car chase, was a lot of fun due to all the spy gadgets utilized throughout it (the smokescreen, the slippery gel (not sure what it's actually called), the ejector seat, the mounted machine guns). Unfortunately though, this charm dissipated after the first act as the remainder of the film did away with these gadgets. The rest of the action, by comparison, was more standard and less exciting. The final shootout, for instance, which mainly involved some sub-par gun and fistfights left me rather cold. I did, however, enjoy some of the violence surrounding Bond quite a lot due to how unexpectedly cruel those scenes were (the iconic gold paint scene, in particular, is terrific). I also love how ineffective Bond was. He spent most of the film being captured and had several failed escape attempts. This was an unexpected change from how I thought he was going to be portrayed. Though yeah, that whole rape scene was rather problematic, especially when you realize it set Bond's plan to save the day in motion. Issues aside, I enjoyed this film and I hope the other Bond films I watch will tap more into its potential.

Nice to see you back! Are you hanging around for a while?
Thank you. I have been watching movies for the first time in awhile so Ill try my best to contribute while Im still enjoying them

Thank you. I have been watching movies for the first time in awhile so Ill try my best to contribute while Im still enjoying them
Well, I'm glad you are back.. we used to talk some... I get fed up and leave and then come back a year later... lol but I got chewed out once for doing it.

I let stuff slide off my back nowadays.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.joebobbriggs.com/bmoviegu...repulsion.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7235753

Repulsion - (1965)

I watched Repulsion last night and thought it was absolutely incredible - how exciting it must have been to have lived in 1965 and been a film fan, enjoying Roman Polanski's first feature, Knife in the Water, and then seeing this and pretty much coming to the conclusion that we have a very special filmmaker here. It basically reflects on screen a woman who slowly slides into psychosis - it's somewhat alluded to that this is due to repressed sexuality, and a disgust with anything organic. The shots are so much fun to watch, and are so successful in getting us into the mind of Carol (Catherine Deneuve) that her fever-dreams become ours. This is horror of the highest order - and could actually be one of the best such films ever made. Gilbert Taylor shot the film, and Alastair McIntyre edited, but you can feel Polanski's steady hand behind all of the brilliant visual poetry that can only express itself through this medium. It's a rare, perfect film.

10/10

Nicolas Winding Refn's Pusher Trilogy

Had them in my Prime queue for some time but the first installment left Prime yesterday and the last two are set to leave July 4th so I figured I'd better get a move on.

Pusher (1996) focuses on Frank (Kim Bodnia) a mid level drug dealer in Copenhagen, Denmark. He and his manic sidekick Tonny (Mads Mikkelsen in his film debut) aimlessly while away their hours buying and reselling various types of illicit narcotics. It's weird because in the drug dealing milieu of movies like Superfly, New Jack City and Carlito's Way the dealer usually has an endgame in mind. But a goal is never even alluded to and the two don't really come off as partners. They don't even appear to like each other much so there are no bonds of loyalty that the script can topple in the second act. It's all just dark, violent and random acts. The films refusal to romanticize the drug trade is it's greatest strength and main draw.

Through a series of misfortunes, double crosses and his own careless actions, Frank eventually ends up in debt to a ruthless Serbian drug lord named Milo (Zlatko Burić). The rest of the film details his inexorable descent.

85/100

Pusher II: With Blood on My Hands (2004) - This one turns it's focus to Tonny (Mads Mikkelsen), Franks old sidekick. As the movie opens he's just been released from prison for some unspecified crime. The first place he goes to is his father Smeden's (Leif Sylvester) garage. His nickname is The Duke and he's a feared and respected gangster in his own right. He deals mostly in stolen cars and provides seed money for other criminal ventures. He's openly derisive of Tonny and has long considered him a screwup, focusing his attention on Tonny's ten year old half brother Valdemar. Tonny finds out that he may have fathered a child with a local woman and being a basically good hearted guy comes to care for the child.

Kurt, a friend of Tonny's, ropes him into coming along on a drug buy where Serbian crime boss Milo shows up. Through a paranoid fueled misunderstanding, Kurt ends up losing the product and is unable to repay his backer who happens to be The Duke. Kurt has manipulated Tonny so as to shield him from retaliation from his father. He in turn demands the money from his son and Tonny offers to rough up Valdemar's mother who runs a local brothel. She's been demanding full custody and The Duke agrees to let Tonny work off his debt but only if he gets rid of her permanently.

I found this to be the best of the three and that's mainly due to Mads Mikkelsen and his uncanny knack for delineating a character while employing very little dialogue. He often speaks volumes with a single look and the film's coda fills the viewer with equal parts hope and dread.

90/100

Pusher III: I'm the Angel of Death (2005) - The final chapter sort of brings it full circle and features the only character who appeared in all three films, Serbian crime lord Milo played by Zlatko Burić. He does a great job with the role and if he looks familiar it's because you saw him in 2012 where he played John Cusack's Russian oligarch boss Yuri Karpov. Here Milo is middle aged and he's living through an especially hectic day where he's volunteered to cook for the 50 guests at his demanding daughter Milena's (Marinela Dekić) 25th birthday celebration.

On top of that the five day sober Milo leaves a Narcotics Anonymous meeting to take delivery of a heroin shipment and finds that his Albanian suppliers have sent him 10,000 Ecstasy pills. Refn uses characters from the other two movies and one of these is Muhammed (Ilyas Agac) who was in part II. Milo has never sold Ecstasy so after he gives his crew food poisoning from one of his dishes he must depend on Muhammad to sell off the pills.

The storyline mirrors the one in the first Pusher movie with events conspiring to put Milo in debt to Albanian boss Luan and his dirtbag interpreter Rexho. It all leads to a visceral burst of violence followed by a gruesomely straightforward sequence that some might have trouble with. It closes on a quiet note with a subdued Milo lost in contemplation and starting to tune in to what the world has been trying to tell him.

90/100