Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Moore is in the worst Bond movies. He's arguably the best Bond.
One could argue that it’s pleasurable to eat feces. It would hold about as much weight as Moore being the best.

I met George Lazenby when he was doing a tour promoting Becoming Bond - he still seemed pretty obsessed with his own virility, and he was pushing 80 at the time.

Considering this virility I hope you asked him the obvious question: "Do you masturbate more than Ernest Borgnine?"

Then I hope both of you burst into laughter at the thought of anyone masturbating more than Ernest Borgnine.

Coincidentally, I watched Connery tonight in METEOR (1979).
There's a meteor 5 miles wide heading for Earth within the next 5 days, and Connery is the NASA scientist in charge of formulating our plan to destroy it. So why is he spending so much time flirting with Russian translator Natalie Wood? FOCUS, big guy!
Does this film deserve four stars? Probably not but that's what I gave it. It was reasonably suspenseful and the blue-screen effects were surprisingly non-terrible.

This is from the same director as 1972's THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, which I watched the night before. This was kind of a big thing back in the day. All-star cast, hit Oscar-winning song, sequels, etc. So what a letdown to find that it's not very good. The moment the ship capsizes is pretty cool but the rest of it is just so shrill that it was not a fun time.

Sean Connery and Karl Malden working together =
Ernest Borgnine and Gene Hackman having a 2-hour pissing contest =
Awww man, I have a soft spot for The Poseidon Adventure, mostly because Gene Hackman all in on his peformance and some of the other cast members are fun too. Except Red Buttons. He suuuuuucks.

I liked almost everything in the film that wasn't Bond. If the movie was like 20 minutes shorter I probably would have liked it more. Or if it had been mostly Honor Blackman. She was great.

It just utterly failed to work its magic on me, and I am very much aware that I am in the minority there.
Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the "man talk" moment in Goldfinger? Can you believe they actually did that, even back in '64?

Awww man, I have a soft spot for The Poseidon Adventure, mostly because Gene Hackman all in on his peformance and some of the other cast members are fun too. Except Red Buttons. He suuuuuucks.
Red Buttons was the least shrill and therefore the character I most wanted to survive.

My Letterboxd rating is only a half-star lower than yours, so I didn't hate it. It was more a disappointment after having grown up thinking it was something better than it was. And its problems are the same as lots of other all-star disaster films of the era, but that doesn't mean they're not still problems. The nature of these ensemble casts means that every character gets their one-sentence personality. "I'm fat and I'm slowing everyone down." "I'm an ex-prostitute and no one respects me".
The Hackman vs Borgnine thing seemed to exist just because the writer felt like he needed Conflict. There was no reason for Borgnine to be so blindly antagonistic at all times, and Hackman gave nobody any reason to think he was worth following, beyond yelling louder than Borgnine. I didn't like either of them, so watching them argue for two hours wasn't fun. As long as Red Buttons and Carol Lynley survived, that's all I was concerned with.

But I was genuinely impressed with the shipwreck sequence. I assume that's responsible for most of its reputation when I was a youngster. Definitely felt like a step up from previous attempts at such incidents, in terms of realism. I bet it was quite a thing for audiences at the time.

(I've no doubt that I watched this on TV at some point as a child, but it's been so long that I've no memory of it)

Yeah I like Poseidon Adventure. It’s the best to come out of that disaster fad of the era but it’s still a very very ‘70s movie.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the "man talk" moment in Goldfinger? Can you believe they actually did that, even back in '64?
Honestly, it just confirmed what I already knew about Bond mentality and the joking-but-not-really thinly veiled contempt it has for women.

In a way it was like, "Oh, thank you for so quickly removing any pressure on me to actually like Connery or this character."

The Hidden (1987, Jack Sholder)

No idea how this movie went under my radar but I'm glad to have finally seen it. Very enjoyable sci-fi horror thriller (somewhat of a cross between The Thing and The Terminator but more light-hearted and fun) with some nice action scenes and a really good ending. Kyle MacLachlan at his deadpan best. An absolute gem imo.

No idea how this movie went under my radar but I'm glad to have finally seen it. Very enjoyable sci-fi horror thriller (somewhat of a cross between The Thing and The Terminator but more light-hearted and fun) with some nice action scenes and a really good ending. Kyle MacLachlan at his deadpan best. An absolute gem imo.
I absolutely LOVE The Hidden. It hits this amazing sweet spot between grungy sci-fi and telling a really lovely personal story. Brain Damage is the ultimate epitome of this combo for me, but The Hidden is a close second. I think that the ending is one of the best in the genre. The themes of family and belonging and sacrifice stand strong, comfortably shoulder-to-shoulder with sequences where an amazonian erotic dancer ruthlessly dispatches victims with a machine gun.

I would highly recommend not watching the sequel. Not only is it terrible, but it actively undoes a lot of the best relationship dynamics in the first film.

I absolutely LOVE The Hidden. It hits this amazing sweet spot between grungy sci-fi and telling a really lovely personal story. Brain Damage is the ultimate epitome of this combo for me, but The Hidden is a close second. I think that the ending is one of the best in the genre. The themes of family and belonging and sacrifice stand strong, comfortably shoulder-to-shoulder with sequences where an amazonian erotic dancer ruthlessly dispatches victims with a machine gun.

I would highly recommend not watching the sequel. Not only is it terrible, but it actively undoes a lot of the best relationship dynamics in the first film.
Agreed about the ending. It just manages to hit such a tender, humane note without coming off corny or too melodramatic. it's just perfect.

So so good. Saw it in the theater and many times since. It’s a perfectly realized B movie, and yeah, between this and his David Lynch work MacLachlan was an’80s-‘90s icon for me.

Agreed about the ending. It just manages to hit such a tender, humane note without coming off corny or too melodramatic. it's just perfect.
What's so smart is taking time for that sequence where he goes over to dinner at the house. It front loads the emotional connections that you need in order for the ending to work.

I also really like the change of pace in terms of having two male leads in an action context who are both already paternal. There are plenty of movies where the male lead discovers paternal feelings, and plenty of movies where male leads protect their kids/families. But it's really refreshing to have a character who just seems to like kids and like the idea of being a dad.

Glad to see this love for The Hidden. Very clever, energetic, and by the end, quite moving.

Add me to the list of The Hidden admirers. It's just so well made. Not big budget or anything but a great cast with two engaging protagonists. A thriller done right.

by the end, quite moving.

Huh? I just vaguely remember this from the 90s. Hookers with guns? Space cops?

I loved The Hidden the one time I saw it. Been wanting to rewatch but it’s so hard to find. Might have to suck it up and rent the DVD from Netflix.

Red Buttons was the least shrill and therefore the character I most wanted to survive.

My Letterboxd rating is only a half-star lower than yours, so I didn't hate it. It was more a disappointment after having grown up thinking it was something better than it was. And its problems are the same as lots of other all-star disaster films of the era, but that doesn't mean they're not still problems. The nature of these ensemble casts means that every character gets their one-sentence personality. "I'm fat and I'm slowing everyone down." "I'm an ex-prostitute and no one respects me".
The Hackman vs Borgnine thing seemed to exist just because the writer felt like he needed Conflict. There was no reason for Borgnine to be so blindly antagonistic at all times, and Hackman gave nobody any reason to think he was worth following, beyond yelling louder than Borgnine. I didn't like either of them, so watching them argue for two hours wasn't fun. As long as Red Buttons and Carol Lynley survived, that's all I was concerned with.

But I was genuinely impressed with the shipwreck sequence. I assume that's responsible for most of its reputation when I was a youngster. Definitely felt like a step up from previous attempts at such incidents, in terms of realism. I bet it was quite a thing for audiences at the time.

(I've no doubt that I watched this on TV at some point as a child, but it's been so long that I've no memory of it)
The bolded was deeply relatable.

I think my problem with Red Buttons is that he strongly resembles a former president who I am not a fan of, so anytime I see him onscreen I associate him with that former president. But I also find him really bland and lame. He's the worst part in The Longest Day, a movie I otherwise think is quite good. (I saw it pop up on the Criterion Channel recently, so am itching to give it a rewatch, even though I own it on Blu-ray.) I guess I wanted more Roddy McDowall and think they should have switched roles, or at least their relative screentime. We could have had more scenes of McDowall clutching his leg to remind us of his condition.

I dunno man, I automatically love Hackman anytime he shows up, and he's fully committed to this performance, even though he has less to work with than his best roles. You can pass on the shouty Hackman all you want, more for me.