The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Lawks-a-mercy, a rare event as I've seen both Happy enough to see The Kid wihich may have had a shot at getting on my ballot had I made one, Clueless is ok if memory serves but it's been a while since I've seen it and it wouldn't have been in with any chance.

Seen: 6/14

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. The Kid is probably my favourite Chaplin film, though that might be by virtue of being one of the only two I've seen more than once (the other one being City Lights, which may or may not be better). I've seen Clueless a couple of times - thought it was middling at first, but my opinion improved slightly a second time around.

Haven't seen nearly enough Chaplin. I need to get on The Kid, among other films.

Clueless was a fun film that's definitely smarter than you think. Sunny teen remake of Emma, I think.

I forgot the opening line.
I haven't seen The Kid yet (I'm also eager to see The Gold Rush to get closer to completion ala Mr. C. Chaplin) - his first full-length feature which nevertheless only runs for 53 minutes. I'm impressed that there are enough fans of very early cinema to vote it onto the countdown. Some great reveals so far.

I haven't seen Clueless either. It's based on Jane Austen's Emma I believe. I only know that because I recently watched Emma, and many people point out the similarities between that and the recent semi-adaptation. I did not know it was considered so good that it would show up in the 80s on this countdown - so I'll have to watch it one day. But I'm not in a great hurry to see it - so that might take a while.

Seen 10/14 - well, I was expecting many "haven't seen"s in the first 30 to 40 entries.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Clueless was my number 19. What a surprise that movie was. I find it extremely entertaining and funny. RIP Brittany Murphy who is fantastic in this and was pretty magnetic on screen. Another Rudd joint as well.

I have two Chaplains on my list but The Kid wasn’t one of them. I love it though. Super endearing movie. I may actually like it better than one of the Chaplains I picked, but it’s not as funny.

I haven’t seen The Kid.

I get Heathers, Valley Girl and Clueless mixed up so I don’t know if I’ve seen it or not.

The Kid was #10 on the MoFo Pre-1930s List and Clueless was #72 on the MoFo Directed by Women List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Kid is a pretty good movie. Wasn't the Chaplin I connected with most but probably second or third favorite.

Haven't seen Clueless.

I seen both of today's countdown inclusions in past HoFs that I had joined. I was duly impressed with The Kid as I am with all Chaplin's films that I've seen so far. It almost made my list but ultimately was cut like so many other fine comedy films.

I seen Clueless, this is what I wrote:

Clueless (Amy Heckerling, 1995)

Whiffed, with sporadic outburst of joviality. I was really out of the demographics here. Not much that I could connect to in this ode to ritzy teen girls living a rather affluent & pointless life in Southern Cal.

I did a ripping belly laugh...but only once and it was at something that turned out to be unintentionally funny, the opening title credits. The film starts off with the 1980s mega hit song, Kids In America, only it's sung so badly that when the jeep with the girls first appears I was totally sure the very next thing I would see was the hapless girls caterwauling and ruining a great song, which to me was damn funny!...But the joke was on me, as that was no joke song at all, but a cover by a Southern Cal. band The Muffs.

Holy Crap Citizen! Get to the point! OK, OK, I will...I liked Alicia Silvestone. I thought she was pretty good too, she was likable and personable. Her two girlfriends were lively as well. But the script had nothing for the soul, nothing for the heart, and certainly nothing for the mind. It was full of funny little fluffy stuff, but it felt unrewarding to me. Oh well at least I can say I seen it.

I haven’t seen The Kid.

I get Heathers, Valley Girl and Clueless mixed up so I don’t know if I’ve seen it or not.

Do you remember an attempt to blow up a school or something about teen suicide being a plot point?

Because, if so, that'd be Heathers.

If it's about a high school girl hooking up with her college-aged cousin, that'd be Clueless.

I've never actually seen Valley Girl.

Do you remember an attempt to blow up a school or something about teen suicide being a plot point?

Because, if so, that'd be Heathers.

If it's about a high school girl hooking up with her college-aged cousin, that'd be Clueless.

I've never actually seen Valley Girl.
I know Heathers has Christian Slater and someone brings a gun to school. I know Valley Girl has Nic Cage. I know Clueless stars Alicia Silverstone.

Victim of The Night
12/14

Haven't seen The Kid.
I like Clueless but I don't know if I would be likely to watch it again unless someone else called it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Kid is a very simple film, but it's also very honest and highly cinematic. Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester from "The Addams Family" TV show) was one of the most talented and adorable child stars ever. (He was six years old when he made this film.) The film is jam-packed with terrific comedy and at the end, Chaplin provides one of his greatest fantasy scenes which has to be seen to be believed, but this chase scene with Chaplin racing over rooftops and battling the state who "need" to take away "his kid" always resonates with me as the centerpiece of this sweet, enjoyable film. Didn't make my list.

Clueless is Jane Austin by way of Valley Girl speak, so that makes it a double period spoof since a Valley Girl was already passé when Clueless came out. It's still very funny, but not enough to make my list.