The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Haven't seen Stripes. I've seen Hausu a few times though. It didn't make my ballot, but I love the comedy-horror-blend of the film. It's an acquired taste due to how crazy it gets, but it really appealed to me. Even though it probably won't ever be a personal favorite.

I know I started watching Stripes for the ill-fated original Comedy Hall of Fame, but I don't think I finished it and did not enjoy what I did see of it. I watched Hausu for the 70s countdown (and I think I even voted for it). It was.... an experience. It was certainly one of the weirdest movies I've seen, but it never even came to mind when I was making my ballot for this.

"Stripes" is comedy gold.and just missed out on being on my ballot. My favorite John Candy role.

"House" remember seeing at a drive-in around it's release date. Don't recall much about it at all. Sure it's a comedy?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No votes.

Stripes is a fun comedy that actually reminds me of The Dirty Dozen for some reason. Murray, Ramis, Candy and Oates are all amusing, and Sean Young and PJ Soles [who I just saw again last in Rock 'n' Roll High School] are sexy.

Hausu is a crazy fantasy with lots of creativity and not much budget. I think a little of it goes a long way but it's short, so I won't complain about its inclusion.

Stripes is a lot of fun. A standard fish out of water comedy elevated by Murray, Ramis and the rest of the cast. I don’t even mind the weird third act.

Haven’t seen House.

Victim of The Night
11/12

I like Stripes a good bit but it didn't make my long list (50 films).
I love Hausu but was never in consideration for my Comedy list.

"House" remember seeing at a drive-in around it's release date. Don't recall much about it at all. Sure it's a comedy?

House (1977) or House (1985)?

Because not recalling much about House (1977) doesn't sound right. Granted, I've gathered it was kind of unknown in the US until something like the mid to late 00's. So seeing it at a drive-in around the time of its release also doesn't sound right.

House (1977) or House (1985)?

Because not recalling much about House (1977) doesn't right. Granted, I've gathered it was kind of unknown in the US until something like the mid to late 00's. So seeing it at a drive-in around the time of its release also doesn't sound right.

It was the '77 film. That, I do know.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Hm, never heard neither #90 nor #89.
---

Movies seen: 2/12
My ballot: 0/25

I don't think I've ever seen Stripes, but if I did, it was a long time ago and don't remember it at all.

Haven't seen Hausu, but I was under the impression it was horror. Didn't know it was horror comedy.

#90 Stripes is the first one from my list to make it. I've loved this movie since seeing it at the cinema upon release. It still makes me laugh. Besides Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, John Candy, and the rest of the unit, Warren Oates is great as Sgt. Hulka. He would go on to be in a few more movies in good roles after this one before his death, including The Border, Blue Thunder, and Tough Enough, but Sgt. Hulka was a great character. I still quote lines from Stripes to this day. I have it at #8 on my list.

House is one I've never seen. I know it's popular among a lot of film fans and it looks kooky enough to be right up my alley but I've yet to see it.

#8. Stripes #90

Alright, a quick personal rundown of the list so far:

Rejected was my one-pointer, despite not having been aware of the Movie Forums tradition involving those. Of all the movies on my list, probably the closest to something I would make myself.

Glad to see Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve make the list, both nearly made mine. Preston Sturges deserves his proper representation.

Fargo is a great movie where I am kinda surprised its inclusion has been so controversial. I consider the movie very much to be a comedy, the first scenes that jump to mind are Marge interviewing the two hookers and Buscemi and Lundegaard disastrous effort at kidnapping Mrs. Lundegaard.

Home Alone is a movie I don't care much about but I understand it is a favorite for many.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is the first movie from my personal ballot to make it on here, also the most recent first time watch for me. I think it's hilarious in so many ways, I love it.

House I never expected to find on here but it is most definitely a comedy first and foremost. I think it's really promising to find a title like this make its way into the top 100, means we are hopefully getting some more inspired choices in the future.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And now, my first of many Catch Ups:

Home Alone

Harry: Why the hell did you take your shoes off?
Marv: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Tis the Season Fa la lalalaa la-- ow, sh#t, d@mmit, OWIE, OUCH!!

With a crowded house full of relatives all traveling to Europe in the morning and everyone waking up late, it's easy to forget something. Close the garage doors. Write a note to the paperboy. Turn the lights off. Forget a child. . .

During the Eighties and Nineties, it was pretty much hard NOT to see some kind of John Hughes comedy in the movie theaters. Some became classics, and some just sorta petered out into mediocrity.
I would put this in the former status with the premise and much of the film easily known by most folks. In particular, the final night of defending the family home to the "Wet Bandits". Played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. Easily the highlight of the entire film and, for me, everything builds up to their failed assault displayed in some rather harsh slapstick. And this is coming from someone who grew up and still loves The Three Stooges.

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

Dr. Evil: The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

While it's been quite a while since last seeing this, I remember laughing quite often through this James Bond/Sixties spoof which pretty much remains the best of the trilogy for me. There is sophomoric humor galore as Michael Myer's Austin Powers is frozen and wakes up in the Nineties to glorify the catchphrase "Yeah, baby!"

Withnail & I

AKA: The Belligerent Witticisms of the Perpetually Pissed

In A Day in the Life storyline we visit two unemployed actors who are deathly afraid of the stark possibility that, at any given moment, they may become sober. With this looming normality hanging over them like the symbolic albatross - they search out the next bottle.
Therein lies the adventure.
In Withnail & I, their inebriation merely is what it is and nothing more. No tragedy, no inner pain that is numbed by intoxication; they are drunk and adamantly wish to remain so.
With that freedom, this story is permitted to wander in blissful squalor from one misadventure to the next.
Filled with great and snarky dialogue that meanders like only the truly high can, Withnail & I is for anyone who lives life without a net and applauds excess.

Evil Dead II

Henrietta: I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul!
Ash: [aims shotgun at Henrietta's face] Swallow this.

After hitting Horror Gold with the first film, Sam Raimi does a surprise twist and reinvents it with comedic tones and I honestly am STILL on the fence on which version my preferred viewing. I DO know that Army of Darkness is by far my favorite of the group and most quoted of the bunch. One that I totally forgot about when making my List.

Have not seen The 40 Year Old Virgin and am not sure if I wish to. There is another Correl film that I do love and is on my list and sincerely doubt it will make the Countdown but, don't care. lol

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Simone: Do you have any dreams?
Pee-wee: Yeah, I'm all alone. I'm rolling a big doughnut and this snake wearing a vest...

It's been close to two decades since I last saw this but I got hooked with the original Stand Up on, I think, HBO featuring a more adult versioned of Pee Wee's Playhouse and smoked and enjoyed the TV Show when it used to air. Wasn't a huge fan of the movie but there were a number of great spots after his bike is stolen and he goes searching for it.

Stripes

Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?
John Winger: [John and Russell look at each other] You mean, like, flaming, or...
Recruiter: Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.
Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.
John Winger: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?

While not the Bill Murray film I went with this is in the top echelon of Comedies and very worthy of this Countdown. I had seen this one so many times I pretty much knew the lines by heart and still laugh at them. I recently found an Extended Cut but as of yet, watched it.

House is one I haven't even heard of and no idea if it would be a worthwhile endeavor or not.

Watched: 9 out of 12 (75%)
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The last reveals showed that to make top 100, it is most important a movie to be placed high in the the ballots, preferably top 10. Three films so far with four supporters. I guess, at the same time, there are movies with 7-8 supporters even more, that are far below top 100.

Stripes is the first on the list I've never seen. Bill Murray is very hit-or-miss with me--off the top of my head I expect at least three more of his movies to turn up.

House is a wild ride. I didn't love it personally but I love that it exists.

It's been a while since I've seen Stripes - obviously Bill Murray gets most of the attention and plaudits, and Ivan Reitman was right on the precipice of becoming a potential legend when both put their talents together with Ghostbusters (gee - I wonder if Ghostbusters will show on the countdown somewhere? ) John Candy started attracting attention as well. But I'll be damned if I remember much besides that wacky march and rifle bit Murray conducts, and the mud wrestling. I'm pretty sure there's more to it - but it gets lost in a whole slew of basic training Police Academy/Private Benjamin/Biloxi Blues scenes and tropes. Do they all end up in Russia, and stop the next World War, or is that Spies Like Us? I saw far too many comedies as a kid.

I've never heard of House - so there's my happy little extra to find out about, and probably seek out.

Still no votes - they're comin' though.

Seen 10/12
My situation with Stripes sounds fairly similar. When we saw the tallies by decade of what people said they were nominating and it was so heavily skewed towards the 80s and (I want to say the 90s), I suspected that means a fair number of comedies from my youth that I mostly watched on cable, that while formative in some way, I kind of wonder how much I'd actually laugh at them now (I can answer for Zapped! - not much). Stripes was weirdly one of the first ones that came to mind (completely forgot about Spies Like Us - but I think Spies Like Us was preventing WW3, Stripes was a training exercise where they took a wrong turn and get captured in a Soviet controlled area (could have been East Germany for all I remember). Bill Murray and, I think, Ramis were left behind and have to go save them). I do also remember the hitting on the MPs and the forcefield game.

I suspect if I were to watch it today, I'd probably smile, some chuckles, maybe even a laugh, and probably be at least somewhat pleased by the experience of watching it. But I suspect I wouldn't love it.