The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Loved Austin Powers a lot too, especially being a fan of Bond. The idea of the Scott character is absolutely brilliant and Dr. Evil’s monologue at group is hysterical.
Yup:

"Mr. Powers, my job is to acclimatize you to the nineties; you know, a lot's changed since 1967..."

"No doubt love, but as long as people are still having promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment, I'll be sound as a pound!"

Have seen and enjoyed both The 40 Year Old Virgin and Pee-wee's Big Adventure. T40YOV is fun mainly for Steve Carell in my book. He was so earnest and funny in the movie and I really liked Catherine Keener as his eventual "first." But I've only seen it once and didn't consider it for this countdown.

@mark f told my main reasons for liking Pee-wee's Big Adventure as much as I did. I never really watched the series that much but I knew enough of Reubens to give the movie a try and I wasn't sorry. Maybe I don't find it fall-down hilarious but it's really amusing and fun to watch. And it's visually great, thanks to Tim Burton. Not on my list.

I haven't seen The 40 Year Old Virgin because I don't think it's my type of humor, but I like Steve Carell, so I might give it a chance if I come across it on TV someday.
I think you would like it.

66 points, 4 lists
Stripes
Director

Ivan Reitman, 1981

Starring

Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Warren Oates, P.J. Soles

66 points, 4 lists
House
Director

Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977

Starring

Kimiko Ikegami, Miki Jinbo, Kumiko Ohba, Ai Matsubara

Yay, at least I've seen Stripes - not for a few decades though and I can't honestly say I remember much about it. Still not seen Hausu and still not convinced it would be for me anyway.

Seen: 4/12
My Ballot: what ballot?

Trivia: Stripes: According to Ivan Reitman, Bill Murray insisted that Harold Ramis be cast as his friend for two reasons: 1) They were long-term friends in real life. 2) So that Ramis could help Murray to re-write the script or to improvise.

Seen Stripes and House, voted for neither. Stripes was just okay, a couple good parts but not consistently funny or entertaining. House is fantastic, crazy, sexy, and fun. I own the Criterion blu ray.

Have seen so far: 7 - Stripes - Saw this movie for the comedy countdown and it was alright but I liked Bill Murray in this movie though. I found it funny when Murray (plays as John Winger in the movie) and his fellow solders were marching during basic training and they all started singing "Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Dum, Diddy Do." lol.

Have not seen so far: 5

I have not seen the movie House yet.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

mattiasflgrtll6
The truth is in here
Points and lists not showing for Stripes.

I watched Stripes for this countdown. Allaby used the word inconsistent, and I agree with that. Definitely has some chuckles, but overall well short of being anywhere near my list.

I watched House in my very first HOF here at Mofo, and I just don’t get it. Not a thing for me in this one. Consider it one of the worst movies I have seen.

Hadn't see 40 Year Old Virgin or Pee Wee. No interest in either (Pee Wee Herman wasn't a thing in the UK) but the former looks like I could at least make it to the end of it. If I really wanted to.

I've not seen Stripes since I was about 10 or 11 and I just don't get House.

I was 10 when I saw Stripes as part of a double feature with Neighbors and it's been a favorite ever since. Seen it many times with the last time being 3 or 4 years ago and it completely held up. John Winger is one of my favorite characters and it's my favorite Bill Murray performance. I think movies have a personality, and the personality of Stripes fits with my own. Stripes was my # 5

I watched House for the 70's countdown. I never realized it was supposed to be a comedy but it's plenty wacky. Maybe I'll watch it again if I pick up an LSD habit, which can't be completely ruled out.

While Stripes was not on any previous MoFo List Hausu was #76 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s List and #57 on the reboot of the MoFo Horror List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well, I have Stripes on my June watchlist so I should get to it soon.

House was in contention for my list but didn't quite make it. Glad to see it here though.

Iroquois
Welcome to the human race...
One vote. House was my #17, admittedly a bit of an acquired taste but there's no denying the charm to be found in its relentlessly inventive horror-comedy chaos. [i]Stripes[/i[ is a movie that I'm not sure I've ever seen from start to finish, though I do think I've seen at least a significant chunk of it - I barely remember it either way, so I guess I'll have to track it down and watch it properly.

Pee-Wee: I'm here to see Francis!
Butler: Francis is busy.
Pee-Wee: Busy doing what?
Butler: He's having his bath.
Pee-Wee: Oh, really? Where are they HOSING HIM DOWN?!

I am not a fan of Pee-Wee Herman but Pee-Wee's Big Adventure landed a spot on my list at number 19. I'll be the first to admit that the movie starts off pretty rough, it's almost too dumb, but once his bike is stolen and he hits the road, it hits it's stride. I just went back to watch a few clips and everyone of them still had me laughing. Some of those laughs are of the BIG variety. Large Marge and the "Where are those headlight glasses?" are two that really jump out.

I love what Tim Burton did with this. I think it looks great, a little darker than his usual fare but still good and he somehow manages to make one of the most annoying characters EVER, likeable. The music by Danny Elfman is also a perfect fit and how about them cameos? You have the obvious - Morgan Fairchild as Dottie and James Brolin as P.W (you're welcome Austin Powers) - but it's big, bad ass Dee Snider taking some time off from making US Senators look like clowns to looking like a clown himself as he's chased off the set of the "Burn in Hell" video by a man child on a one speed. And who can forget Elvira as Pee-Wees' would be torturer, Biker "I say you let me have him first" Mama.

Seen neither, voted for neither.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
It's been a while since I've seen Stripes - obviously Bill Murray gets most of the attention and plaudits, and Ivan Reitman was right on the precipice of becoming a potential legend when both put their talents together with Ghostbusters (gee - I wonder if Ghostbusters will show on the countdown somewhere? ) John Candy started attracting attention as well. But I'll be damned if I remember much besides that wacky march and rifle bit Murray conducts, and the mud wrestling. I'm pretty sure there's more to it - but it gets lost in a whole slew of basic training Police Academy/Private Benjamin/Biloxi Blues scenes and tropes. Do they all end up in Russia, and stop the next World War, or is that Spies Like Us? I saw far too many comedies as a kid.

I've never heard of House - so there's my happy little extra to find out about, and probably seek out.

Still no votes - they're comin' though.

Seen 10/12

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Reply to Topic