The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I like both these films but I don't love them. Neither is on my list. My list has a lot of super old stuff.
I am sorry to hear Paul Reubens got into another scrap... scandal ... whatever. I have to look into that.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well that's my streak broken, I've never seen either of these. I like Steve Carrell in The Office, though, so I'll try to check out The 40 Year Old Virgin. I'm not sure the other one looks like something I'd enjoy.

I don’t really like 40 Year Old Virgin.

PWBA is wonderful though.

(did anyone else here see The Bubble? what a f*cking trash fire)
I didn't hate it, but yeah, the film is a bit of a mess and more importantly, way too long.

I'm not sure why, but I kind of had high hopes going into it, despite the first reviews I saw all being quite negative. Maybe because there were a handful of actors in it I like? Either way, I won't be making that mistake again*.

*-I most certainly will

I rewatched Pee-wee's Big Adventure today since it had been many years since I first saw it and I didn't remember most of it. Now, I see why I had forgotten it. I didn't find it very funny or entertaining. It dragged on at times and felt longer than it was.

Victim of The Night
I've seen 9/10 so far, none made my list but I ain't mad about it. I'll be pretty surprised if all 25 of mine don't make the list. At least 90%.

Evil Dead II is one of my favorite movies and I actually think I like it more every time I see it (which is about a dozen times now).
The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a favorite of mine, really, but it still didn't quite make my list, might have made a list of 50.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
That reveal was really painful and depressing.
Vaguely know only the titles of these films.
I don't know about Pee-wee's Big Adventure but come ooon... The 40-Year-Old Virgin?! wtf
I've never even think about seeing B-movies moreover featuring Steven Carell... meh.
---

Movies seen: 2/10
My ballot: 0/25

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The 40 Year Old Virgin is a solid romantic comedy which has as much sensitivity as it does gross-out moments. True, it's a little long, which is a slight problem with 2000s comedies, but it still delivers big laughs for all age groups.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure is wonderful. The character is such a wacko and some of the F/X are so intentionally awful they're hilarious. Many highlights (the opening, Large Marge, the swimming pool, the Alamo tour, the dinosaurs, "Tequila", E.G. Daily's sweetness, "I Know You Are, But What Am I?", etc.) Didn't vote for either.

you are my favorite. but the lack of votes for either takes that rank down by 1/8 of a point.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I enjoyed The 40 Year Old Virgin, although it didn't make my list. I've seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure when I was a kid, but barely remember it.
Yeah, exactly this for me. Been meaning to rewatch Pee Wee. I remember enjoying quite a bit, but then again, I was 10.

I do feel like this charm dissipates in the second half though once the other characters arrive at the cabin.

I think Evil Dead II is a seismically important movie. The notion of a director basically remaking his first movie, but with a completely different tone (completely laying bare the porous walls between horror and comedy when taken to their furthest limits) is brilliant stuff done by a director brilliant enough to pull it off

But I completely agree with your point about the second half. Maybe no movie could ever maintain that level of energy for it's full running time. But from the moment those other characters show up, I always check out. I'm just exhausted by that time, and none of the other cast members have the kind of on screen presence that allows Raimi to go full throttle the way Bruce Campbell does. It's a movie of diminishing returns by that point

Also, for those confused by the brilliance of Withnail and I (and it is, even though I didn't vote for it), Ebert explains it as good as I've seen in his online review.

There aren't jokes. It's about the characters and how they endure eachother and all the troubles of their own making. It's about their perfect and weird articulations of their surroundings and their place in life. It's about the sadness of growing apart and living a life unfulfilled. It's the promise of character based comedy fully realized

Nice to see Diehl listened to me, unlike that @Thief guy.
Take. my name. out of your f#@kin. mouth!

1. ??? (1971)
2. ??? (1999)
3. ??? (2009)
4. ??? (1985)
5. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
6. ??? (1998)
7. ??? (1975)
8. ??? (2013)
9. ??? (2010)
10. ??? (2006)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen The 40 Year Old Virgin because I don't think it's my type of humor, but I like Steve Carell, so I might give it a chance if I come across it on TV someday.

I saw Pee Wee's Big Adventure many years ago, and I hated it. All I remember about it was that the main character was very annoying.