Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Never got around to this somehow.
It’s not bad. Never did feel the acclaim, but I like Tom.

Whatever, need to kill an evening.

God, this is really awful. I can tell immediately which is a rare one. ****ing hell. Incredibly corny.
I also think there’s something pretty deep and unhealthy about the immense multitude of films about kids/teenagers being “trapped” with overly controlling adults who answer questions on why they can’t have any freedom with “because you can’t”. That’s clearly some sort of fetish for middle-aged adults in creative industries who wish they could say that to their own kid. Disgusting.

What we would now call a rape scene does of course come off somewhat differently since I last saw this 15+ years ago. Seems a bit odd, but what I actively like is that that part is realistic, it’s exactly what would happen, a rape. We’re definitely losing the ability to show “what would really happen irl”, even for a moment. A fantastic film, anyway. Eastwood puts all the Brad Pitts out there to shame.

Love it. Shame I waited so long to watch it.
That section 59 minutes in is so delightfully bizarre, what with the upside-down house, the girl appearing in bed and everything.

Today is the official start of Sweden's Midsommar. It is Midsommar Eve so only appropriate to watch.

Amusing. Not as funny as The Thick of It, which was hilarious, but a good movie.

Exquisite film. Adore it.

Also great and subtle Dorian Gray reference.
Wow, ancient movie I’ve never heard of. Bogarde was always desperately trying to hide his homosexuality, but he made some good movies. His multi-part autobiographies are terrific reading too.

Amusing. Not as funny as The Thick of It, which was hilarious, but a good movie.
Also prefer The Thick of It.

Wow, ancient movie I’ve never heard of. Bogarde was always desperately trying to hide his homosexuality, but he made some good movies. His multi-part autobiographies are terrific reading too.
That’s exactly what the film is about. Quite explicit too for its time, not in the sense we use the word now, but rather in that the discussion around homosexuality is not at all coded. Great film noir on its own terms - imo anyway.

Will take a look at those autobiographies - sounds fascinating.