The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'll go with
1) The Skeleton Dance (some people like the old school cartoons for laughs)
2) The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Evil Dead II is hilarious. I watched it recently at the Lightbox theatre in Toronto with a crowd that knew every beat. It was awesome. I love this trilogy and revisit it often.

In saying that...it was not on my list. I didn't want to put two films from one series on the list, taking up spots. So I left my spot to what I found the funnier film in the trilogy.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I tried watching Withnail & I when it was nominated in a HoF a while back, but I got bored after about a half hour and turned it off. I didn't even realize that it was supposed to be a comedy.

I watched the first Evil Dead movie for the horror countdown, but it's just not my type of movie, so I didn't watch Evil Dead 2.

Just now catching up (as usual, I have no excuse!). The movies so far are pretty great.
I've seen Sullivan's Travels but it's been quite a while. I remember loving it and I definitely need to see it again. I saw The Palm Beach Story not too long ago and loved it. Naturally, didn't include the former on my list.

Fargo is an all-time great yet I chose a couple of different Coen films that I'm pretty sure will be higher up.

The Lady Eve is another great Sturges film that I saw for the first time a couple of years ago. I'm glad I did. It's clearer in my memory than Sullivan's Travels but as I said, I intend to rectify that. No vote, though.

South Park I have never seen and will not see because I saw enough of the series to dislike it. Yet, strangely enough I saw and liked Team America: World Police by the same guys, so go figure. No vote.

Home Alone is one fine movie, but I watch it usually at Christmas, along with the sequel, which is fun also but not quite as much as the original. Yet, I do have a holiday-themed movie on my list, so...

Love the Austin Powers trilogy, and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is a fine start. But I'm guess I'm in the minority that loves Austin Powers in Goldmember the best. Michael Caine was hilarious, like when he sees Mini-Me for the first time ands says, "Blimey! I thought I smelled cabbage." and "There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch." Plus I think Seth Green has his finest hour as Scott Evil. Still, didn't vote for any of the trilogy.

Withnail and I is a film I've heard great things about for years but still have yet to see it. I really like Richard E. Grant in anything so I think I'll dig it for him at the very least.

Evil Dead II is a huge favorite of mine. I love all the Evil Dead movies and have only recently started to watch the series. I'm a huge Bruce Campbell fan so I try to watch anything he's in, even if he's only a "Fake Shemp" in a Sam Raimi film. Didn't vote for it and honestly, didn't think of it when compiling my list. Not because I don't consider it a comedy---I do, but I just plum forgot!

I do enjoy this comedy list. As others have said, comedy can be very polarizing when it comes to what is or isn't funny. But it makes it very interesting to see people's opinions on what constitutes comedy.

Great stuff going on here.

Haven't seen Evil Dead II or Withnail and I, added both to my watchlist. Will probably watch Evil Dead II before the countdown is over.

Seen 4/8

Ballot: 1/25

Today's faildictions:
92. Analyze This
91. Death Becomes Her

So far we've had a travelogue (Sullivan's Travels), a crime movie (Fargo), a biblical adaptation (The Lady Eve), an animated musical (South Park), a home-invasion thriller (Home Alone), a spy movie (Austin Powers), a carpentry tutorial (Withnail & I) and a horror film (Evil Dead 2). People really abusing that "anything goes" eligibility.

Judging from the responses, Withnail & I seems to be a love-or-hate type flick, and unfortunately you can add my tally to the "hate" side. I'm willing to give it another go someday to see if maybe I was just in the wrong mood to jive with it at the time. I typically like unpleasant characters and dialogue-heavy scripts, but I found Withnail & I dull and unfunny. I tend to struggle with a lot of British films for some reason, especially their comedies. They generally lack the sophistication of American comedies which expertly mine the existential hilarity stored within our flatulence and genitalia.

I've warmed up to Evil Dead II, but I'm still not a big fan. Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, I think I'd enjoy the film a lot more if it wasn't a comically exaggerated sequel to one of the greatest horror films of all-time. The Evil Dead has its share of humor, but the black comedy doesn't undermine the film's relentless onslaught of terror, whereas Evil Dead II is essentially a gory Looney Tunes cartoon that's too overwhelmingly silly to even attempt to be scary. It wouldn't make my ballot even if we were strictly voting for horror-comedies.

65 points, 6 lists
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Director

Judd Apatow, 2005

Starring

Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd, Romany Malco

65 points, 7 lists
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Director

Tim Burton, 1985

Starring

Paul Reubens, Elizabeth Daily, Mark Holton, Diane Salinger

I enjoyed The 40 Year Old Virgin, although it didn't make my list. I've seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure when I was a kid, but barely remember it.

Never seen either, never had any interest in seeing either. I reckon if I get to 50% seen by the end I will have outperformed expectations lol.

Seen: 3/10
My Ballot: what ballot?

Trivia: The 40 year old virgin: The Scene where Amdy had his chest hair removed required five cameras to be set up for the shot. Steve Carell's chest hair was actually ripped out in the scene. Carell told director Judd Apatow just before shooting the scene, "It has to be real. It won't be as funny if it's mocked up or done by special effects. You have to see that this is really happening." For obvious reasons the scene had to be done in one shot. imdb

Once again this is the first appearance for both The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure on any of the MoFo Lists.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Both are funny movies, and I'll probably see The 40 YO Virgin again.

Seen all so far, expecting that to end with something from Wes Anderson or the Coens.

Crap, how did I leave Pee-Wee's Big Adventure off of my list, especially since most of my sense of humor is based on it? I'm looking at my list-making self like Pee-Wee looks at the snakes in the pet store.

But anyway, it's a formative movie for me that I still quote - especially "I'm a loner, Dottie, a rebel," "I don't have to see it, I lived it," "Paging Mr. Herman" and "there's no basement in the Alamo," much to the chagrin of my friends and family - to this day. I was lucky enough to go to a Paul Reubens-hosted screening of it in early 2020 before the lockdown started.

The only sequence I don't love is the clown nightmare. Other than that, I think it's a masterpiece. Shame that Siskel and Ebert didn't think so. Maybe it was ahead of its time?

Not seen either. They don't strike me as classics but hey ho. Maybe they are.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
The 40 Year-Old Virgin is pretty funny. Really announced Steve Carell as a comic force to be reckoned with, although he'd been around for a while already. "Me so horny? Me so stupid!" He played the somewhat reserved, inexperienced shy guy with a winsome sense of someone who isn't lonely because he's a jerk or weird - just (terribly) unlucky in love, and not willing to put himself out there again. It was also the arrival of Judd Apatow, someone whose talents I'm less sure about - especially considering Carell probably helped shape his character to a large extent, and since Apatow hasn't really gone on to set the world on fire. I thought it was great when I first watched it, and haven't seen it in a decade or so, but I'm sure it would be just as funny now. I'm happy with it on this list.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure has gone done busted up my 100% record of having seen this stuff again man. Is everyone okay with Paul Reubens now? I mean, he has gone on and done things. I'm not all that clued into what's up with all that. I've never seen him in anything - and from what I've learned thought he was a pretty crap person. I'll stand corrected if that's wrong.

None from my list still.

Seen 9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Haven't seen either.

40 Year Old Virgin was my #20. Last time I watched it my score fell but this was undoubtedly one of the funniest theater watches I ever had. I watched it quite a few times in the couple years after it’s release. I became a huge Carrel fan later but at the time this movie got me into Paul Rudd, who I still find extremely watchable and likable. Wish this one was higher actually.

Never considered myself a Pee Wee fan but I was around the show and movie a ton because my cousin loved him. I remember my first viewing extremely well because my mom and aunt took us to the drive-in to see it and their house got robbed while we were gone. For a guy with no memory I remember the set pieces in this extremely well. I’m not a fan, so it wasn’t on my list. We will see how this shakes out, but I think it probably belongs in a 100.

Reply to Topic