Iro's Top 100 Movies v3.0

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
#97. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
(Nicholas Meyer, 1982)

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up!"
Hell yeah.

Victim of The Night
#92. The Passion of Joan of Arc
(Carl Theodore Dreyer, 1928)

"You claim that I am sent by the Devil. It's not true. To make me suffer, the Devil has sent you...and you...and you...and you."

My first countdown featured one silent film, Un Chien Andalou. My second countdown had no silent films on it whatsoever. Now I circle back around and put this on, not merely out of a sense of tokenistic obligation like the one-film-per-director idea I floated earlier but because, well, it's undeniable. In crafting a dramatisation based on records taken from the religious rebel's trial, Dreyer paints a stark portrayal of the proceedings as Joan (Renée Falconetti) endures the disdain and accusations of the assorted clergy with a thousand-yard stare while pleading her case as an apparent messenger of God. Appreciable for its innovative technical aplomb (especially when it comes to close-ups) and its dense approach to matters of faith and how they affect (or are affected by) individuals and institutions alike, The Passion of Joan of Arc might end up being the only silent film on this countdown but even so it's certainly one of the best to represent the form.

2005 ranking: N/A
2013 ranking: N/A
I'm gonna try not to reaction-bomb your thread (which I think I just discovered) but I saw this movie for the first time about 2 years ago and it fairly blew me away. Can't believe I waited so long to see it and yet I'm glad I waited so long to see it so that there are still movies like this out there for me to see.
Aside from how good the film is in every other way, Falconetti just blew my mind. I didn't know there was screen-acting that good that early.

Victim of The Night
Funnily enough, during an opening scene in Dawn of the Dead where Wooley blows a tenant's head off with a shotgun (not to be confused with @Wooley, of course; I'm sure he's much nicer ), you'll see that the man is actually a mannequin if you pause the film.

Oh, I'll blow your g*ddamn head right off.

Victim of The Night
#74. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
(Robert Altman, 1971)

"If a man is fool enough to get into business with a woman, she ain't going to think much of him."

Would-be entrepreneur John McCabe (Warren Beatty) rides into a snowy mining outpost to the anachronistic tune of Leonard Cohen's "The Stranger Song", making a striking variation on the familiar Western trope of a drifter arriving in town that perfectly sets the stage for New Hollywood maverick Altman's own spin on the genre. The revisionist subversion kicks in when the blustering McCabe is made to realise that he is in over his head and must ultimately rely on the much more knowledgeable Mrs. Miller (Julie Christie) to help him run the only game in town, but it doesn't take long before their combined success starts drawing the wrong kind of attention not from lawless bandits but a monopolistic mining corporation. The most American of genres gets a crash course in ostensibly progressive cynicism - as much as the film deals in a sort of sex-positive feminism through Mrs. Miller's bordello philosophising (to say nothing of how she ultimately proves to be the brains behind the duo's operation), it soon becomes clear that even this small slice of independence isn't set to last as a capitalist version of manifest destiny bears down on its foolhardy hero. That its bittersweet fable is rendered in warm and wintry hues by the legendary Vilmos Zsigmond goes a long way in bolstering its already-powerful sense of tragic romance - not just between the eponymous duo, but for the dream of something better to the American myth than what ultimately transpired.

2013 ranking: #46
This is the movie that convinced me that Altman was an historically great director.
I already liked him a lot and saw him as a bigger deal than any contemporary director I could think of, but this was the one that pushed me over the edge on him.

Victim of The Night
#49. Paris, Texas
(Wim Wenders, 1984)

"I'm not afraid of heights. I'm afraid of falling."

Wenders' Palme-winning film begins with its haggard protagonist Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) wandering the Texas desert in a wordless fugue, running from a past he will soon be made to confront after his brother Walt (Dean Stockwell) finally tracks him down and brings him home. A decidedly calm and patient exercise in addressing the traumas that have happened to its characters (to say nothing of the ones who are indirectly affected by the aftermath of whatever happened in Travis's mysterious past) to the point where repeat viewings may call into question just how much that calmness is genuinely warranted, but that renowned third act in which Travis finally locates his lost love Jane (Nastassja Kinski) and works to resolve what has happened to make him and everyone else the way they are. The languid pacing and matter-of-fact approach to the characters' lives is granted a certain mundane beauty by its German creators' exercises in depicting America, especially Robby Müller once again delivering indelible imagery as he depicts dusty deserts and neon-tinged establishments. Ry Cooder's melancholy slide guitar is the real icing on the cake, amply complementing this particular tale of how to rebuild a life as best one can.

2013 ranking: #49
My personal No.2.
(And that only if you count The Rocky Horror Picture Show which is so its own thing I almost think it should be separate, making P, T No.1.)

Welcome to the human race...
#46. Big Trouble in Little China
(John Carpenter, 1986)

"This is Jack Burton and you're listening to the Pork Chop Express. It's like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see - and besides that, it's all in the reflexes.'"

It's become something of a cliché for critics and fans alike to point out how the thing that makes Big Trouble in Little China work so well is how it treats nominal all-American action hero protagonist Jack Burton (Kurt Russell) like a bumbling doofus while his ostensible sidekick Wang Chi (Dennis Dun) is the genuinely capable and knowledgable warrior whose search for his kidnapped fiancée (Suzee Pai) is the real driving force behind the film. At the same time, it's impossible to deny that it's a genius move that only helps to distinguish Carpenter's genre-bending kung-fu odyssey in the midst of a decade where American action cinema was largely defined by powerful, hypermasculine, and predominantly white leads. Even leaving that aside, the fact that it's one of his rare shots at doing a comparatively big picture means that he goes all-out in staging not just hyperkinetic scenes of mortal combat but also coming up with all manner of bizarre mythological creatures and designs to colour in the story's mystical adventure framework - there's a Bigfoot-esque monster and a creature covered in eyeballs, but the humanoid villains such as cursed sorcerer Lo Pan (James Hong) or the Raiden-esque Three Storms are themselves great texture for such a journey. Throughout it all, Russell makes for an endearingly naive buffoon that is far removed from the jaded badasses he played in other Carpenter films (and his snappy back-and-forth with Kim Cattrall's feisty activist Gracie Law is also a highlight), making this another peak in Carpenter's impeccable '76-'88 run.

2013 ranking: #43

#45. Chungking Express
(Wong Kar-wai, 1994)

" If memories could be canned, would they also have expiry dates? If so, I hope they last for centuries."

Wong is another director who has been on my radar for about as long as I've been making lists but it's taken me far too long to actually include. Chungking Express may not necessarily be his masterpiece, but it's not for a lack of trying with its bifurcated narrative involving two separate police officers (Takeshi Kaneshiro and Tony Leung) trying to navigate rough patches in their love lives at the same that they cross paths with potential new love interests (Brigitte Lin and Faye Wong respectively). Beyond that, the specifics vary wildly - Kaneshiro's Officer 223 struggles to move on and latches onto disinterested criminal Lin, while Leung's Officer 663 is oblivious to Wong's growing infatuation that spirals into such bizarre behaviour as sneaking into his apartment to redecorate. They are both different sides of the same coin, covering vast ground in depicting unconventional romance on the bright and smoky streets of Hong Kong (rendered with noirish grain and free-floating movement by Wong's mostly-regular cinematographer Christopher Doyle) and creating a film that you can feel in your heart and lungs. When a film manages to needle-drop the exact same song as many times as this one does with "California Dreamin'" and it never gets old, that's a classic.

#44. Do the Right Thing
(Spike Lee, 1989)

"Free country? I oughta f*ck you up for saying a thing like that."

For the longest time, Kevin Smith's Clerks was a major favourite for showing a young me how much could be done when a film was just a bunch of colourful characters hanging around in the same location for a single day. Of course, he does have a reputation for being the kind of filmmaker that cinephiles are meant to grow beyond and part of that is realising that a film like Do the Right Thing accomplishes so much more within the same loose format involving a single day revolving around a small business and the locals who can be found in and around its vicinity. That the business is an Italian-run pizzeria located in a predominantly Black neighbourhood creates an underlying tension that is only exacerbated as the summer heat builds up and people are pushed to their own boiling points as the day wears on. Lee works with a remarkable ensemble of actors to create a richly-observed microcosm in which to unfold his exercise on examining race relations in modern America, not settling for a simplistic polemic by emphasising that all his characters have their own significant flaws and therefore resisting any easy sense of moralising - but on the rare moment where it does go for the jugular, it's never without reason. Even leaving aside the ways in which it crafts such a nuanced narrative, one can't exactly find much fault in how Lee delivers in terms of an indelible experience from its rip-roaring opening credits blasting "Fight the Power" to its momentary digressions that toy with the reality of the film's world without breaking it apart.

Do The Right Thing is such a great and powerful film. My favourite of Lee's work (though I've not seen much) but this early Lee (She's Gotta Have It, Skool Daze) was the Lee that I saw and really liked. I saw Malcolm X and Jungle Fever but remember little of them. Both films I'd like to see again just to see what I'm sure I missed and have since learned. 4 Little Girls and Summer Of Sam is where I left Lee though. I've not seen any of his work since then. The former is a good, heartbreaking documentary, the latter not really what I was expecting and fairly hit and miss.

I'm all over the place when it comes to Lee - I did enjoy his recent one-two punch of Da 5 Bloods and David Byrne's American Utopia, but have also had to contend with the likes of She Hate Me and his Oldboy remake. Still have to see quite a few of his other big/early films, but I find even his duds to be at least a little interesting and worth watching.

#43. Sunset Blvd.
(Billy Wilder, 1950)

"I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

Hard not to be a little self-conscious about the comparative lack of significantly older films (read: pre-1960s) on this list, especially when one of the few I have included is a film that came out in 1950 and is already built on the idea that people don't give a damn about older films and especially not the people who made them. Wilder's noirish tale of burnt-out screenwriter Joe GIllis (William Holden) ending up in the employ of eccentric silent-era actress Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) makes for a sharp indictment of Hollywood's film industry and how it'll hang its older stars out to dry due to the mercurial nature of audience demands (to say nothing of how it treats writers, memorably mocking audiences for thinking that actors make up their lines as they go). At the same time, there's nuance to how it depicts Norma as a tragic figure who is prone to manic outbursts out of long-harboured delusions about a potential comeback. It's enough to ground what is otherwise a pitch-black show business satire, where even weird spectacles such as Norma holding a nighttime funeral for a deceased monkey in her own backyard don't come across as the laughable kind of absurd.

2005 ranking: #87

I'm all over the place when it comes to Lee - I did enjoy his recent one-two punch of Da 5 Bloods and David Byrne's American Utopia, but have also had to contend with the likes of She Hate Me and his Oldboy remake. Still have to see quite a few of his other big/early films, but I find even his duds to be at least a little interesting and worth watching.
BlacKKKlansman was good too.

I remember liking BlacKkKlansman when I saw it in theatres, but I haven't felt much urge to revisit it and I've read some critiques of it that question its approach to depicting police officers even in the name of thwarting the KKK. I figure I can keep working my way through the ones I haven't seen before I ever get back to it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I credit Lee with forcing Rosie Perez to occupy a large part of real estate in my young conscience. Decades before anyone had ever thought of living rent-free.

Looks like I've failed to visit this thread for the last 3 months. Whoops.
Unsurprisingly, there's very little overlap in our tastes, but I do really like the effort you've put into the presentation and the explanations of why you appreciate each movie.