The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Fargo is only #99??? That’s absurd, I actually re watched it after submitting my list, which is a bummer because I would’ve given it a couple more points. I would’ve expected top 25 of this list anyways. I have a much lesser known Coen Bros flick pretty high in my list but there’s no hope for it now.

Never even heard of Sullivans Travels but I think I’d like it. I’ll try to get to it sometime this week

My List:
25. Scary Movie IV (1 Pointer)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Oops, I made a rookie mistake. Fargo is supposed to be 97. Tomorrow Yoda and I will reveal 98 and 96
If Fargo is #97 then shouldn't tomorrow be #99 + #98 and the day after #96 + #95?

Oops, I made a rookie mistake. Fargo is supposed to be 97. Tomorrow Yoda and I will reveal 98 and 96
Surely you should be revealing the rightful #99 and #98 tomorrow - #96 should come the day after

I don't know if I think of Fargo as a comedy or not, but it is the first film I think of when I think about how easy it is for people to disagree about what is or isn't a comedy.

I think it is a dark comedy. William Macy's character is a total loser and cannot do anything right. The scene with the wood chipper was very funny in a twisted sort of way. The thing with dark comedies is that one has to decide if it is a drama with comic relief or if it is in fact a dark comedy. Giving that this was a Coen's brother movie and the fact that comic elements are throughout makes me want to see it as a dark comedy.

Fargo deserves to be much higher, not just as a comedy but as a movie in general. The problem here is that this top 100 is based on one genre, denoting that Fargo wouldn't even be top 100 of all-time.

Seen 1/2.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yea like others here I think of Fargo as more of a tragic biography of Mike Yanagita.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sullivan's Travels is one of seven Sturges' films from the '40s I give
or higher but this is probably his most perfect. It's got loads of laughs, cinematic artfulness up the ying-yang (long shots - many with no dialogue), powerful drama (with some prison/chain gang scenes so iconic that Woody Allen spoofed them in Take the Money and Run.)

Fargo is a wicked black comedy [the wood chipper, the sheriff's "hidden" quick mind, the car dealer's bizarre actions] with great performances and revelations all along the way.
Great start but neither made my ballot.

Victim of The Night
Never seen Sullivan's Travels, but Fargo being at #99 is a signal of how spread this vote is, specifically because of how fuzzy the definition of "comedy" is.
Seriously, if you gave me a ballot of 200 comedies, it would never have occurred to me to put Fargo on it despite it being a great film.

Fargo deserves to be much higher, not just as a comedy but as a movie in general. The problem here is that this top 100 is based on one genre, denoting that Fargo wouldn't even be top 100 of all-time.

Seen 1/2.
I don’t think this is necessarily true. Quite a few already saying they don’t consider it comedy in the purest sense.

Victim of The Night
Fargo is only #99??? That’s absurd, I actually re watched it after submitting my list, which is a bummer because I would’ve given it a couple more points. I would’ve expected top 25 of this list anyways. I have a much lesser known Coen Bros flick pretty high in my list but there’s no hope for it now.
No Country For Old Men?

Victim of The Night

Seen 1/2.
I don't think that's true, I think the point that people are making about differences of opinion on what is or isn't a comedy, at least for the purposes of this list, has a lot to do with its place here.
If you asked me if Fargo was a Top 100 film I would say, "I don't know because there are simply so many good movies since the beginning of film, we'd have to run the list and see what happens, but it deserves to be in the conversation."
But when asked if it would be in my Top 100 Comedies, the answer is, "No, because it just isn't a comedy to me, at least not in a strict enough sense to make a list of comedies, it is simply a great movie that has some funny in it."

To be clear, I have no issue with anyone else considering it a comedy and having it on their list. I'm not the Comedy Police. (I am actually the Horror Police.)

Victim of The Night
IMBD has Fargo listed as a crime/thriller, but I still stand by my belief that is a dark comedy.
It probably is. I think it's more than one thing.
But if I included every movie that could be considered comedy on my big list there is no way on Earth the list ever would have gotten down to 25, it wouldn't have gotten down to 50.

I guess it's possible the two points I gave Sullivan's Travels (as my #24) helped it make the list, which it definitely deserves to be on. I love Fargo and it has the Coens' typical dark comedy elements to it, but it didn't make my list.

My list:
24. Sullivan's Travels (#100)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Note: "mobile" means the mobile style. It doesn't mean someone who's on a mobile device but has overriden that style to use the desktop style.
I switched it to mobile view because I do actually normally use desktop but it does still show for me, FYI.