The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Note to self, list does not appear to show up on my phone (Android/Chrome), and the posts people were making weren't extended performance art.

I seem to recall people doing reveals on their ballots as their entries come up.
What's the usual format for it?
Say, Fargo was your #12, hypothetically speaking.

Trivia

The Coen's took the name of their film, "O Brother Where Art Thou" from a movie that Sullivan was supposedly making about the plight of the poor.
Doing, "the Coens' directly referenced," will probably end up in a lot of posts bogging down the thread, but the-trial with-a-concussion also got lifted directly into The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. I think they liked this movie.

Note to self, list does not appear to show up on my phone (Android/Chrome), and the posts people were making weren't extended performance art.
Thanks, I'll take a look at this this afternoon.

Thanks, I'll take a look at this this afternoon.

For additional info, it does show up on my tablet (ipad... old version, also chrome).
Unfortunately I don't know the screen size for either.

ETA:
By screen size, I think I should have said screen resolution, for all the people looking at this in the future (screen width, measured in pixels is usually how different formats get triggered).

Don't consider Fargo a comedy but it's the best laugh at stuff you shouldn't be laughing at movie I've ever seen ("WHOOPS!" "Be quiet or we'll have to, ya know, shoot ya"). I love that kind of humor. I remember telling my Ma about this when it was released and how funny it was in parts and when she finally saw it she didn't think it was funny at all. Then she starts to explain it to a friend of hers and as she's retelling the story she starts laughing and said "Maybe it is funny... I need to see it again."

And we’re off! ...I’ve never heard of Sullivan’s Travels.

Fargo is a light thriller with some humorous moments.

For additional info, it does show up on my tablet (ipad... old version, also chrome).
Unfortunately I don't know the screen size for either.
That's fine, I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be missing for everything on the mobile style.

I just watched Sullivan’s Travels recently. It’s got a very cool premise and was a good bit of fun. Never in danger of making my list though.

Fargo is one of my top ten movies of all time. I find it very funny, but ultimately I decided to go broader with my comedy list. I did have a Coen movie make my list, and it should show up a long way down the road.

S'not fair - sounds like mobile users are getting a twofer - a comedy countdown and a mystery one.

I'm a big fan of Veronica Lake and Joel McCrea too. I've seen a number of Lake's movies and Sullivan's Travels was on my list but had to be cut at the last minute. Very surprised and quite happy to see it make the countdown...gives me hope the countdown will have some decent films on it Don't know if I've seen Fargo or not.

The trick is not minding
For the longest time I kept trying to find the post with the reveals before seeing Little Ash’s post about not showing up on mobile.

What a nice little joke. Ha. Ha. Ha.

On a more serious note, I have seen both, and even when Fargo first rolled into theaters back in 1996, it was always referred to as a black comedy. I’ve mentioned this before, but I just can’t get into this film even after multiple viewings since that day I first rented it that same year.

Sullivan’s Travels was my #15.

For the record, I use mobile and it shows for me.

I guess state OS (iOS vs Android) and browser (safari vs chrome vs etc).
It might be useful to Yoda when he looks into it.

I'll try to look later to see if there's anyway to find screen resolution on my device. Though I noticed chrome has a, "desktop site" option in its browser, and it does render in desktop mode (fwiw, Yoda).

For the record, I use mobile and it shows for me.
Note: "mobile" means the mobile style. It doesn't mean someone who's on a mobile device but has overriden that style to use the desktop style.

I own both Sullivan's Travels and Fargo on blu ray.

I'm now trying to remember, is the narrated diner scene in Hudsucker from Sullivan's Travels or The Lady Eve?
I watched those two Sturge's close together. The exact seminal scene is less etched into my brain since I only saw it once, but it was another clear reference.

It is actually a nice coincidence we got both a Sturges and a Coens coming in together.

I am using the mobile site on Firefox and do not see the posts either.

I'm now trying to remember, is the narrated diner scene in Hudsucker from Sullivan's Travels or The Lady Eve?
I watched those two Sturge's close together. The exact seminal scene is less etched into my brain since I only saw it once, but it was another clear reference.

It is actually a nice coincidence we got both a Sturges and a Coens coming in together.
I don't remember. It's been a while since I watched Hudsucker or Sullivan's Travels.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I vaguely know Sullivan's Travels only as a title.

As for Fargo, saw it back then in the theatre and couple more times through the years.
It is a good film and I do agree that there are comic elements constructing the characters of William Macy with his awkwardness and Frances McDormand with her pregnancy but in my view all this is only to colorize the movie and to soften its darkness and not to make a comedy.

This way, I expect Indy Jones to occupy top positions.
---
Nice design of the reveals!