The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Fwiw, I think six of the films on my ballot ended up on that prediction list.

Honestly, I didn't participate in this since I didn't want to get into any discussions concerning what a comedy really is, since humor is easily the most divisive and diverse art film of all the major fiction genres, and I didn't want to look at the rules later and complain (I know I would've had a few things to say about Seven Samurai;s inclusion), especially since I just got a job and I'd rather keep watching whatever the hell I wanted. Besides, I genre tag the movies on my Letterboxd list of every movie I've ever seen. But I will say this. No matter what, if I had made the list then I have full faith my number 1 will make top fifteen at the most extreme bottom: Holy Grail.

Besides, I'm still waiting for the MoFo top 100 erotic thrillers.

Glad to see that A Day at the Races (1937) was on someone's list. Although it's a funny film it didn't make my top 25, but I definitely have another Marx Brothers film on my list...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The MoFo tradition is to mention the One Pointers. Those are films that received exactly one point, meaning that a single person had them in their last spot of the ballot (25th), with no votes from anyone else.It is common for people here to use that spot to put the spotlight on a rather obscure film, a "hidden gem", or just a bizarre nomination just for kicks
Be prepared, because we had 42 one-pointers
Here's the ones I've seen; 18 out of 42 (40.47%)
Paul
Club Dread
Freaked
The Toy
Mother, Jugs and Speed
A Day at the Races
Meet the Fockers
Pink Flamingos
I love You Phillip Morris
The Imposters
The Grass is Greener
Teen Beach Movie
Ruthless People
Weekend at Bernie's
The Whole Nine Yards
Seven Samurai
Austin Powers in Goldmember

My one-pointer is

Megamind

Good to see some people Faildicting as I won't be for this one.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
100. Father of the Bride (1991)
99. American Pie (1999)

(I guess but actually, I hope not to be these ones)

Victim of The Night
I'm curious whos one-pointer was Something's Gotta Give?
It is good that someone brought it here.
I enjoyed the film a good bit, much better and smarter than I thought it would be, but it landed in some odd place for me that wasn't exactly comedy (even though it's obviously a comedy).

None of these movies are not on my list either
None of these movies are on anybody else's list. Appearing as the twenty-fifty choice on only one ballot is why they are being revealed now.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Predictions:

100. Spaceballs
99. Top Secret!

Let's Goo..!

This is the post that's going to have the butterfly effect that's going to cause Yoda to step on that nail in his driveway, and well, let's just say we're not getting the list for another few months now.

Yoda, I hope you will one day be able to walk again. I believe in you.

61 points, 5 lists
Sullivan's Travels
Director

Preston Sturges, 1941

Starring

Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, Robert Warwick, William Demarest

63 points, 5 lists
Fargo
Director

Joel Coen, 1996

Starring

Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare