Movies everyone seems to love that you do not get?

Tools    

So there are movies that are around that always get praised by everybody(Space Odyssey, Pulp Fiction, Godfather, etc). What are some movies such that you can not enjoy the love for yourself. Mine are:

Pulp Fiction - I really enjoy the movie and admire it for being something special(good writing, music, and events like the rape scene). However, I get so annoyed with how people keep quoting the one scene("Say what again") and overhyping it like it is the Mona Lisa of cinema. I certainly like this one, but certainly not the masterpiece everyone makes it out to be. Whiplash is my preferred movie for dialogue("Not quite my tempo"), and because I like jazz and the intensity of the movie, I have an interest in that one. Kill Bill is my preferred Tarantino movie. (4.5/5)

Royal Tenenbaums - This one too has a good soundtrack and is very colorful. However, it made me feel a bit uncomfortable, as it felt too arty for the pretentious sake of it. I also had a hard time following the story, but when I read about it on Wikipedia, I was finer with it. Not that I think Wes Anderson is a bad director(I loved the Isle of Dogs movie), I just did not like the Tenenbaums. My preferred movie for the bright colors is Jacques Demy movies(ex. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort) as they look great and make me happy to watch them. I have not seen all of Jaques and Wes's movies, but I am sure that Jacques will knock Wes out of the water. (2.5/5)

Rules of The Game - The "pinnacle" of French cinema directed by Jean Renoir. I actually found this one to be quite boring. I remember the hunting scene, the party fight, and the director's character(Octave) in the bear costume. I also remember the ending where one of the characters gets shot to death due to being mistaken for Octave(for being with the guy's wife). However, I just did not enjoy this one and had a hard time trying to figure out why this one was a masterpiece. Probably because of its satire of the upper-middle class. My preferred French film is again The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but if I were to choose another one, it would be Contempt. I liked the whole movie directing the story of Contempt and how during the production of it, it caused a fallout between a couple, and then I loved the ending with the car accident. (3/5)

Ali: Fear Eats The Soul - This one did not leave a lasting impression on me at all, and I quickly forgot about it. Then after I saw All That Heaven Allows, I started to see this one as too derivative(Older woman and younger man, woman causing distress to children because of the relationship, public distrust, and the ending where the man gets injured(A heart attack in Ali and a fall in ATHA)). My preferred Fassbinder movie is Petra von Kant as it just appealed to me more. (3.5/5)

Shawshank Redemption - I actually enjoyed this one like everyone else, but like Pulp Fiction, I am sick of it being everybody's favorite movie. Unlike my other entries, I have no preferred movie for this one. (4/5)

What are your movies that you can not feel the love for despite all the hype they receive?

Victim of The Night
So there are movies that are around that always get praised by everybody(Space Odyssey, Pulp Fiction, Godfather, etc). What are some movies such that you can not enjoy the love for yourself. Mine are:

Pulp Fiction - I really enjoy the movie and admire it for being something special(good writing, music, and events like the rape scene). However, I get so annoyed with how people keep quoting the one scene("Say what again") and overhyping it like it is the Mona Lisa of cinema. I certainly like this one, but certainly not the masterpiece everyone makes it out to be. Whiplash is my preferred movie for dialogue("Not quite my tempo"), and because I like jazz and the intensity of the movie, I have an interest in that one. Kill Bill is my preferred Tarantino movie. (4.5/5)

Royal Tenenbaums - This one too has a good soundtrack and is very colorful. However, it made me feel a bit uncomfortable, as it felt too arty for the pretentious sake of it. I also had a hard time following the story, but when I read about it on Wikipedia, I was finer with it. Not that I think Wes Anderson is a bad director(I loved the Isle of Dogs movie), I just did not like the Tenenbaums. My preferred movie for the bright colors is Jacques Demy movies(ex. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort) as they look great and make me happy to watch them. I have not seen all of Jaques and Wes's movies, but I am sure that Jacques will knock Wes out of the water. (2.5/5)

Rules of The Game - The "pinnacle" of French cinema directed by Jean Renoir. I actually found this one to be quite boring. I remember the hunting scene, the party fight, and the director's character(Octave) in the bear costume. I also remember the ending where one of the characters gets shot to death due to being mistaken for Octave(for being with the guy's wife). However, I just did not enjoy this one and had a hard time trying to figure out why this one was a masterpiece. Probably because of its satire of the upper-middle class. My preferred French film is again The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but if I were to choose another one, it would be Contempt. I liked the whole movie directing the story of Contempt and how during the production of it, it caused a fallout between a couple, and then I loved the ending with the car accident. (3/5)

Ali: Fear Eats The Soul - This one did not leave a lasting impression on me at all, and I quickly forgot about it. Then after I saw All That Heaven Allows, I started to see this one as too derivative(Older woman and younger man, woman causing distress to children because of the relationship, public distrust, and the ending where the man gets injured(A heart attack in Ali and a fall in ATHA)). My preferred Fassbinder movie is Petra von Kant as it just appealed to me more. (3.5/5)

Shawshank Redemption - I actually enjoyed this one like everyone else, but like Pulp Fiction, I am sick of it being everybody's favorite movie. Unlike my other entries, I have no preferred movie for this one. (4/5)

What are your movies that you can not feel the love for despite all the hype they receive?
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? This is not intended as ANY form of condescension, I have just seen lately that people of certain age groups really don't like certain movies that were considered big at the time.

Pulp Fiction - I'm not into that one, I guess it was fresh when it came out but I never loved it like others do.

Royal Tenenbaums
- Not seen that one, but generally I'm not a big fan of Wes Anderson, though he does have his own unique style.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg & The Young Girls of Rochefort
...seen and really liked both of those.

Rules of The Game
- I found it boring too, but for one reason I couldn't keep up with all the various dialogue being spoken while reading the subs so I never knew who was saying what.

Ali: Fear Eats The Soul - That was a pretty good film, but not something I want to watch over and over.

All That Heaven Allows - Now that's one of my favorites and Douglas Sirk is a favorite director.

Shawshank Redemption - I thought it was very memorable but haven't seen it in a long time.

Guess I'll just keep commenting on other's movies they don't love
maybe my 3 least favourite films: Reservoir Dogs, Whiplash and 1917
I shut off Whiplash after 15 minutes but then it was nominated in an HoF and I watched it. I was entertained and it was a fun movie, but flawed. 1917, as much as I love a well made war movie it sucked, except for one wide shot with the men laying on the beach as bombs drop on them, that was good. I can't stand Tarantino, he's the Slim Jim of the director world.

Black Narcissus
The Dark Knight
Gone With the Wind
The Red Shoes
The Seventh Seal
I walked away from The Dark Knight after 10 minutes. I appreciate Bergman's films but none of them make me feel love for the film like other's feel. The other three you mentioned I do love.

1917, as much as I love a well made war movie it sucked, except for one wide shot with the men laying on the beach as bombs drop on them, that was good.
It sounds like you're describing Dunkirk.

I walked away from The Dark Knight after 10 minutes. I appreciate Bergman's films but none of them make me feel love for the film like other's feel. The other three you mentioned I do love.
I revisited The Dark Knight earlier this year. I think it starts out really promising, but makes some poor choices in the latter half which bring it down a few notches. Also, I generally love Bergman, but I wasn't able to get into The Seventh Seal.

maybe my 3 least favourite films: Reservoir Dogs, Whiplash and 1917
I read your list of favorite movies. It mostly consisted of avant-gade/art cinema with additional short films. You share two of my favorite foreign films with me(Daisies(Czech) and Celine and Julie Go Boating(France)). Those are two movies nobody seems to love that I really get.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg & The Young Girls of Rochefort
...seen and really liked both of those.
[i]
All That Heaven Allows - Now that's one of my favorites and Douglas Sirk is a favorite director.
I thought all three of those were great. I noticed that Umbrellas of Cherbourg was your 4th favorite film as well. I loved how it was like a concept album in movie form. All three of them were beautiful and were like looking at a painting. Bonus points go to Douglas Sirk's other melodrama Written on the Wind for the same effect.

Welcome to the human race...
Phrasing it like "other people love it but you don't get it" certainly makes it more interesting than doing the same boring thing of calling movies overrated, but it does make me realise how few acclaimed movies there are where I look at them and cannot grasp any possible reason why anyone would love them...so screw it, I'm just going to list whatever and people will have to deal with it.

The Revenant - wants to be like so many Authentic classics that put their cast and crew through the wringer for the sake of art but still proves too clean and empty to warrant all the trouble it ostensibly goes to. No wonder that I hear about how good the cinematography is without any real explanation why it's good beyond the simple fact that it's hard to pull off (same goes for DiCaprio's performance).

Jojo Rabbit - has one joke that it very quickly drives into the ground and then tries to pivot to tugging on your heartstrings instead.

The Suicide Squad - too many superhero movies to choose from in this category, but part of me wonders if the only thing worse than a bad superhero movie that plays things straight is a bad superhero movie that thinks it's doing something different (especially the ones that go R-rated as if the problem is that the heroes' attacks aren't leaving enough blood on the walls). Think this one also benefits from low expectations from the previous Suicide Squad and the addition of Gunn even though he ultimately ends up doing an inferior rehash of his Guardians of the Galaxy shtick. (Kick-Ass is also a major offender in this regard.)

The Departed - not without merits, but it never manages to overcome its reputation as a sympathy vote for Scorsese and is one of my least favourite films of his.

Ocean's 11 (2001) - I respect Soderbergh more than genuinely appreciate him and there are quite a few films of his that could crack this list but the way people talk about this one in particular means I have to pick it, which just felt very whatever to me. Think the only one of his heist movies I've sincerely enjoyed was Logan Lucky.

It sounds like you're describing Dunkirk.
Ah that's it, thanks for that clip! Damn fine scene too, amazing really, but I overall I didn't care for Dunkirk...and I didn't care for 1917 either, just too many damn adventures for the lead character, one after another. I might have reviewed both movies here?

I thought all three of those were great. I noticed that Umbrellas of Cherbourg was your 4th favorite film as well. I loved how it was like a concept album in movie form. All three of them were beautiful and were like looking at a painting. Bonus points go to Douglas Sirk's other melodrama Written on the Wind for the same effect.
I'm intending on watching all of Douglas Sirk's film. I just seen one of his a few weeks ago that never gets mentioned but I thought it was exceptionally well done and later I read that it was Sirk's favorite of the films he directed, The Tarnished Angels (1957).

Ah that's it, thanks for that clip! Damn fine scene too, amazing really, but I overall I didn't care for Dunkirk...and I didn't care for 1917 either, just too many damn adventures for the lead character, one after another. I might have reviewed both movies here?
I enjoyed both quite a bit, but to each their own.

I'm intending on watching all of Douglas Sirk's film. I just seen one of his a few weeks ago that never gets mentioned but I thought it was exceptionally well done and later I read that it was Sirk's favorite of the films he directed, The Tarnished Angels (1957).
I watched Sirk's Written on the Wind recently and really enjoyed it. I've also seen Imitation of Life and All That Heaven Allows.

The trick is not minding
There’s a lot that I think are merely ok but not great that have some rabid fans here:

Repo Man
Before Sunrise
Santa Sangre (I admit I owe this a rewatch)
Several Lucio Fulci films I’ve seen

Unfortunately, there are too many here that take exception to their favorite films being negatively reviewed that they make it almost personal. They then spend several posts explaining why they’re “right” and you’re “wrong” and the whole thing becomes silly.
Never take a bad review of a film personally.

most people enjoy noir and I guess I don't. I have only seen one that I enjoy, it was french. Yeah, movies that everyone loves from the 50s that are of this category, no thank you.

I watched Elevator to the Gallows with a friend and its the only one I care for.

The trick is not minding
most people enjoy noir and I guess I don't. I have only seen one that I enjoy, it was french. Yeah, movies that everyone loves from the 50s that are of this category, no thank you.

I watched Elevator to the Gallows with a friend and its the only one I care for.
In other news, Mads will now be making nothing but noir films from now on.

Whatcha gonna do now, MG??

Magnolia
Fargo
Reservoir dogs
The Dark Knight
The Joker

Idk there's a bunch more.. Those are ones i outright don't like and don't understand the like for them
(except Reservoir dogs i get that) but there are abunch i just feel are overrated