A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Pretty sure I was thinking of Supernova.

I don't think I've seen Event Horizon.
Yep

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I remember the eyeball part.

You didn't miss much with Event Horizon. Although a few liked it, I think?

(ducks, runs)

Yep

I remember the eyeball part.
I mean, all I remember is the floating sex scene, and mainly because I remember thinking it was a pointless shot (from outside the ship?) and it looked really fake.

And Angela Basset was in it?! How much do you have to goof that you have Angela Basset in your movie and I don't remember it?!

You didn't miss much with Event Horizon. Although a few liked it, I think?

(ducks, runs)
It's not playing on any of the services I have. I'll probably check it out at some time.

Supernova has a hilariously convoluted trainwreck of a production. At various stages, it was developed/directed by William Malone, Geoffrey Wright, Jack Sholder, and Francis Ford Coppola, thought it was "officially" directed by Walter Hill, whose film was so reshot and butchered, he tried to have it put under Alan Smithee but had to settle for the sobriquet Thomas Lee, as Smithee was retired once the public got wise.

So it's at least interesting and memorable in that regard, even if I only remember "horny people in space" as my takeaway when I saw it many years ago.

I mean, all I remember is the floating sex scene, and mainly because I remember thinking it was a pointless shot (from outside the ship?) and it looked really fake.

And Angela Basset was in it?! How much do you have to goof that you have Angela Basset in your movie and I don't remember it?!

It's not playing on any of the services I have. I'll probably check it out at some time.
Strange Days also wants a word.

What I was describing wasn't anything gruesome. It was the post-sex scene where Bassett and James Spader had their eye colors swapped. The only other thing I remember was everyone must have been gifted a Gold's Gym membership for this one.

Don't take my word for it as gospel on Event Horizon. There's several people probably here that will heap praise on it. I think it's one of those either you'll love it or you wish you hadn't bothered films.

Strange Days also wants a word.
While I didn't love Strange Days, I did respect a lot of what happened in it.

Actually, I have a binder that's my professional development binder and I have a picture of Angela Bassett from Strange Days on the front of it.

"Finish those grad classes. Get to work!"

The only other thing I remember was everyone must have been gifted a Gold's Gym membership for this one.
I didn't remember everyone in the film being totally ripped, but . . . wow. When I did a google image search to see if it was the movie I was remembering, I was like "Dang."

I love Strange Days and consider it one of Bigelow's 3 masterpieces, alongside Near Dark and Zero Dark Thirty. If only it were called Dark Days.

While I am not going to give it a strong recommend yet (and probably not ever), I am reading a very silly book called The Final Girl Support Group and enjoying it in a beach-read kind of way.

I would say that the best strength of the book is not the actual story, but the fake excerpts from scholarly articles or online reviews.

The premise is that all of the classic slashers are based on the lives of real women. So one of the women is named Marilynn and she was actually the survivor of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre type film. The women have all dealt with their trauma in different ways, but they come together once a month to process. When someone begins to target the women anew, the main character goes on the run.

I'm about 1/6 of the way through it and so far I'd give it a passing grade. Some fun nods if you're familiar with the slasher genre.

I love Strange Days and consider it one of Bigelow's 3 masterpieces, alongside Near Dark and Zero Dark Thirty. If only it were called Dark Days.

Blue Steel, Point Break and The Loveless are the apex of her greatness

So is Near Dark, but I'm excluding that because I prefer the other three and want to be difficult.

Zero Dark is good. Ive got nothing against it. But I like it more in theory than in actuality. And I can't even remember Strange Days, but I imagine it's good.

As long as we are keeping Hurt Locker off the list though, we're all good

I believe that's Grady Hendrix's book, which has made me at least a little curious about it.
It is--I was not familiar with him or his work before grabbing this book at the library.

It is--I was not familiar with him or his work before grabbing this book at the library.

I heard about him first on RT through Rock, who looked at the movies I was posting about and asked if I was reading GH's Kaiju Shakedown columns.

I had not.

And that is where I learned about the Ramsay Brothers and their Bollywood "adaptations" of American movies.

I'm pretty sure I (like a couple hundred other people at the time) have also been in the same auditorium as him for some horrorfests, but I can't remember where I saw those posts.

The Free Fall, 2021

Sara (Andrea Londo) wakes up disoriented and with serious memory loss. Her husband, Nick (Shawn Ashmore), tells her that she's recovering from a mental health emergency that involved a suicide attempt. But as Sara struggles to recover her memory, things just don't seem right, including the presence of a vindictive maid, Rose (Jane Badler).

I mean, how do you even write a review of movies like this.

Is it bad? Not necessarily. The performances from Londo, Ashmore, and Badler are all fine. There are a few instances of effective imagery, and a nicely disorienting dinner party sequence.

But there's also something frustrating and familiar about everything that happens. It's a Movie-with-a-Twist! So the weirdness doesn't really have any purpose or coherence. We're killing time with upsetting moments just so that we can get pulled along to the last five minutes where all is revealed.

I have such a hard time investing in this kind of movie, where right from the get-go it's clear that nothing is real or matters, but not in any kind of fun way.

Grady Hendrix is great, I used to read Kaiju Shakedown (R.I.P.) religiously. He's the perfect mix of knowing his shit inside out and being a really entertaining writer. I suspect most of you will enjoy These Fists Break Bricks (his book about martial arts) and Paperbacks From Hell (about horror novels). He's also a regular presence on special features for Asian cinema film releases.

The two Ramsay Brothers movies benefited greatly from being shot in real ruins and having fun monsters. I suspect some of you (rhymes with Slap Ten Error) will enjoy them, although you do need to compartmentalize the lowbrow comedy and long runtimes.

Strange Days is great, but I think I prefer Point Break and Blue Steel. I suspect some of you (rhymes with Glaucoma) will especially enjoy the latter for some interesting gender commentary.

Grady Hendrix is great, I used to read Kaiju Shakedown (R.I.P.) religiously. He's the perfect mix of knowing his shit inside out and being a really entertaining writer. I suspect most of you will enjoy These Fists Break Bricks (his book about martial arts) and Paperbacks From Hell (about horror novels). He's also a regular presence on special features for Asian cinema film releases.
Ah, right. I think you've referenced These Fists Break Bricks in your review thread.

Strange Days is great, but I think I prefer Point Break and Blue Steel. I suspect some of you (rhymes with Glaucoma) will especially enjoy the latter for some interesting gender commentary.
I watched the first 10 minutes of Blue Steel several times on TV when I was younger.

Blue Steel, Point Break and The Loveless are the apex of her greatness

So is Near Dark, but I'm excluding that because I prefer the other three and want to be difficult.

Zero Dark is good. Ive got nothing against it. But I like it more in theory than in actuality. And I can't even remember Strange Days, but I imagine it's good.

As long as we are keeping Hurt Locker off the list though, we're all good
Those would be the next tier for me, along with Hurt Locker and Detroit.

Bottom would be K-19 and (I assume based on reputation as I've not seen it) The Weight of Water.

ZDT may be my favorite from her.

Ah, right. I think you've referenced These Fists Break Bricks in your review thread.
Yeah, it got me on a bit of a Bruceploitation kick, although I think most people can also benefit from the recommendations of actual good movies from the book.

I watched the first 10 minutes of Blue Steel several times on TV when I was younger.

It was on Tubi when I watched it last year, but looks to have disappeared since.

Bottom would be K-19 and (I assume based on reputation as I've not seen it) The Weight of Water.
It's been years since I've seen it so my memory is likely hazy, but it's basically the Hunt for Red October if McTiernan had been totally unable to translate his strengths as an action director to the material, and if instead of a super charismatic Sean Connery not even trying to do a Russian accent, it's Harrison Ford bizarrely downplaying his charisma and struggling through a next-level terrible Russian accent.

I should have mentioned that he tends to wear ridiculous looking suits during these, which is obviously a plus.