Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I haven't seen this in over 40 years. When I was young, I Michael York. This was one of the three of his I loved.

Edit: there are parts in this that remind me of 2 other films from the same year, The Holy Mountain and The Wicker Man.

I haven't watched this in a long time and just finished another Michael York film so I'm watching now.

Watching tonight - Dark City. It bends a bunch of genres, sci-fi, fantasy, cyberpunk, film noir and whatever else. It evokes Nosferatu, seems like it's black and white, but isn't, doesn't make much sense but seems like it should in a dream like, nightmare way. It was directed by Alex Proyas and has reviews all over the spectrum.

A guy wakes up in a vile bathtub in The City, finds himself enmeshed in a grisly murder and tries to figure out what the heck is going on. It's also a city, where it's always night and which is also inhabited by strange, black coated, pale, water phobic aliens who can "Tune", which means that they can alter reality with their minds. The guy, John Murdock, mystifies the aliens because he can also tune. There's a sultry nightclub singer, who also is part of his life, even though he doesn't understand how she can be his wife or girlfriend.

There's also a detective, Bumstead, who is seeking Murdock, trying to understand what's going on without the benefit of being able to tune and a strange man with halting speech who also wants to find Murdock, for reasons that are obscure, probably to study him for his tuning ability.

It's one of the strangest, most non-rational movies I've ever seen, a favorite for those moments when you want to go somewhere completely outside the normal world, but in a place where somehow, everything is also somewhat familiar. Nobody knows what they are doing in this place, buildings change at regular intervals and everything is in the shadows. Nobody has a past, and everybody is being watched by the aliens, who want to understand humans. The visuals in this movie are completely strange and fascinating.

I haven't seen this in over 40 years. When I was young, I Michael York. This was one of the three of his I loved.
I think his very best rôle was in Cabaret.

Watching tonight - Dark City. It bends a bunch of genres, sci-fi, fantasy, cyberpunk, film noir and whatever else. It evokes Nosferatu, seems like it's black and white, but isn't, doesn't make much sense but seems like it should in a dream like, nightmare way. It was directed by Alex Proyas and has reviews all over the spectrum.

A guy wakes up in a vile bathtub in The City, finds himself enmeshed in a grisly murder and tries to figure out what the heck is going on. It's also a city, where it's always night and which is also inhabited by strange, black coated, pale, water phobic aliens who can "Tune", which means that they can alter reality with their minds. The guy, John Murdock, mystifies the aliens because he can also tune. There's a sultry nightclub singer, who also is part of his life, even though he doesn't understand how she can be his wife or girlfriend.

There's also a detective, Bumstead, who is seeking Murdock, trying to understand what's going on without the benefit of being able to tune and a strange man with halting speech who also wants to find Murdock, for reasons that are obscure, probably to study him for his tuning ability.

It's one of the strangest, most non-rational movies I've ever seen, a favorite for those moments when you want to go somewhere completely outside the normal world, but in a place where somehow, everything is also somewhat familiar. Nobody knows what they are doing in this place, buildings change at regular intervals and everything is in the shadows. Nobody has a past, and everybody is being watched by the aliens, who want to understand humans. The visuals in this movie are completely strange and fascinating.

gosh havent watch that movie for ages 😨

PHOENIX74 and I was discussing propaganda films. I mentioned this to him. It's available on tubi

Just rewatching it

I'm gonna force myself through at least the first half of The Human Condition I. I started it years ago but I was so annoyed by all the inhumane actions that I shut it off after about 40 minutes. To this day I have difficulty watching movies that center around racism / stereotyping blending with inhumane actions. But I'm a critic at heart, and I'll watch practically anything, and I gotta get through the whole trilogy.

So if any of you believe in a God, in all seriousness, pray that I can get through this without a problem. I might have to watch one half of each movie every day for six days.

I'm gonna force myself through at least the first half of The Human Condition I. I started it years ago but I was so annoyed by all the inhumane actions that I shut it off after about 40 minutes. To this day I have difficulty watching movies that center around racism / stereotyping blending with inhumane actions. But I'm a critic at heart, and I'll watch practically anything, and I gotta get through the whole trilogy.

So if any of you believe in a God, in all seriousness, pray that I can get through this without a problem. I might have to watch one half of each movie every day for six days.
Oh... my god... I can't even stop saying "oh my god." ****ing rollercoaster. I wanna start the second one tonight, but I don't wanna feel too much pressure.