Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

FIVE EASY PIECES
(1970, Rafelson)

"I move around a lot, not because I'm looking for anything really, but 'cause I'm getting away from things that get bad if I stay."

Some mild SPOILERS perhaps?

Five Easy Pieces follows Bobby Dupea, a former child piano prodigy who has chosen to get away from that life and instead lives as a blue collar oil rig worker. However, his past comes back to haunt him when he finds out that his father, a musical genius himself, is dying forcing him to go back to the things he has tried so hard to get away from.

Bobby is a character hard to pin down. He's not entirely a likeable guy, but as the film unfolds, you can see all the complexities and layers beneath, and Nicholson plays him to perfection. I mean, it's not far from what he usually plays – a mixture of cynical and bitter – and I'm still trying to figure out the scope of his motivations, but he does it so well. And when the last act comes, you can see the subtlety and nuance when he drops his defenses.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Needed some movies to watch while away in the camper, came across one in a charity shop “Mulholland Drive” covered in praise, stars, hailed as a masterpiece, the biggest clatter of sh..e I’ve seen for many a year, gave up after an hour and a bit

Needed some movies to watch while away in the camper, came across one in a charity shop “Mulholland Drive” covered in praise, stars, hailed as a masterpiece, the biggest clatter of sh..e I’ve seen for many a year, gave up after an hour and a bit
Well, I’m convinced.

Well, I’m convinced.

To be fair, one could easily be misled by the description on the back of the DVD.

This sexy thriller has been acclaimed as one of the year's best films. Two beautiful women are caught up in a lethally twisted mystery - and ensnared in an equally dangerous web of erotic passion. "There's nothing like this baby anywhere! This sinful pleasure is a fresh triumph for Lynch, and one of the best films of the year. Visionary daring, swooning eroticism and colors that pop like a whore's lip gloss!" says Rolling Stone's Peter Travers. "See it… then see it again!" (Time Out New York)

To be fair, one could easily be misled by the description on the back of the DVD.
Well, I’m convinced!

Well, I’m convinced!

The description is accurate to the letter but not spirit of the movie.

Although it is extremely sexy.

So maybe it is accurate to the spirit as well.

Such are the mysteries of Mulholland Drive.

And he turned it off after "an hour and a bit". I wonder if that was just as they were going to Club Silencio

And he turned it off after "an hour and a bit". I wonder if that was just as they were going to Club Silencio
We know the scene he finished with.

We know the scene he finished with.

I'm gonna assume it was the hobo scare.

The shite he refers to was in his pants.

The Bad Guys (2022)

I can't believe I'm rating this so low, because it really wasnt that bad. The animation was great, but the plot was a bit too fast-paced, and there were more below-average jokes than above. My daughter liked Sonic 2 better, and I'm afraid I agree....just something felt off about an animated heist movie.

I really enjoyed it but it’s weird how much of it is just a sillier version of Adaptation, also starring Nic Cage.

The Batman 3/5: Looked real nice, fell pretty flat. Batman had zero agency until the last five minutes and the script could have used at least two more passes.

Turning Red 3/5: Pretty cute and gorgeously animated, but too long and suffered from some really, really godawful writing in spots..."my panda, my choice" made my skin crawl.

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: http://www.impawards.com/1985/shoah.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49257898

Shoah - (1985)

This kind of deserves a post all of it's own - I watched it over 4 days, and Claude Lanzmann's method works for me, very much. Walking over those places "in the present" while hearing the testimony feels like ghosts are being summoned, and a connection is made which brings the past into the present in a way. It gets at the essence of the Holocaust through carefully selected interviews - and isn't a straight chronological story. I felt the magnitude, and it's a bizarre feeling to have, because what was happening was so far from any human experience to compare it to. It's said that Pauline Kael "panned" Shoah - but she'd seen it at a cinema, with two parts of extraordinary length separated by a break, and many didn't return for the second half - the film is difficult in that respect. It's length would have felt beyond human endurance. It makes this film even more of a "far, far from normality" feature, which just adds to that sense of being evocatively haunted by the events it describes. I don't think it's beyond criticism because of what it's about - but I do think it works exactly as intended, and as such one of the most important films ever made.

10/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Overnight (Bobby Francavillo & Kevin Rhoades, 2022)
4/10
Victor and Victoria (Reinhold Schünzel, 1933)
6.5/10
Salt for Svanetia (Mikhail Kalatozov, 1930)
6/10
Fire Island (Andrew Ahn, 2022)
- 6.5/10

Gay version of Pride and Prejudice set on Fire Island with key characters played by Bowen Yang, Joel Kim Booster and Margaret Cho in the foreground. Could be funnier but gets extra points for heart.
Dashcam (Rob Savage, 2021)
+ 5/10
And Then We Danced (Levan Akin, 2019)
6/10
Unhuman (Marcus Dunstan, 2022)
5/10
His Days Are Numbered (Elio Petri, 1962)
6.5/10

Plumber Salvo Randone becomes worried that he's going to die if he doesn't retire and do some living. Simple yet muscularly-directed slice of life ensues.
Friends and Strangers (James Vaughan, 2021)
+ 5/10
Final Set Quentin Reynaud, 2020)
6/10
The Ancines Woods (Pedro Olea, 1970)
+ 5/10
Last Seen Alive (Brian Goodman, 2022)
6/10

Remake of The Vanishing as a Gerard Butler revenge action flick, and as that, probably better than expected even if mostly predictable.
Corrective Measures (Sean Patrick O'Reilly, 2022)
+ 5/10
How They Got Over (Robert Clem, 2018)
7/10
White Elephant (Jesse V. Johnson, 2022)
5/10
Hollywood Stargirl (Julia Hart, 2022)
6/10

Teenager Stargirl (Grace VanderWaal) relocates to Los Angeles with her costume designer mom (Judy Greer) and uses her friendliness and natural singing ability to find a way into recording and the movies.
A Flash of Green (Victor Nunez, 1984)
6/10
Interceptor (Matthew Reilly, 2022)
5/10
Wolf Hound (Michael B. Chait, 2022)
5.5/10
Atlantis (Valentyn Vasyanovych, 2019)
6.5/10

Basically a documentaryish horror film about longtime conflict between Russia and Ukraine seen through the eyes of Ukrainian Andriy Rymaruk who despite living in a contaminated world still finds a chance at love and intimacy.