Movie possibly from the 80's with people suspended in a giant cage

Tools    

I only saw a short clip of this movie and it was a long time ago. There were several people (maybe a family) who were locked in a giant cage that was suspended over a deep pit. There was a stairway that wrapped around the inside of the pit and there was a kid who was going down it. The kid was either a friend or a relative of the people in the cage. I think the people in the cage may have been locked in there by monsters or aliens. I think the movie may have been from the 80's.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
Just a shot in the dark here but maybe the Ewoks movie.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

It's not the Ewoks movie.

The cage scene in Time Bandits isn't exactly what I recall but it's close enough that I'm wondering if my recollection isn't 100%. My memory about the people in the cage is that they looked like average people you might see in the city. I only remember there being one cage, and the part that is really different is that there was a staircase that descended down the pit around the inside of it. And there was a kid on the stairs who wanted to get them out.

If Looks Could Kill 1991 with Richard Grieco has a scene like that near the end but no monsters.

If Looks Could Kill 1991 with Richard Grieco has a scene like that near the end but no monsters.
This trailer has some people in a cage around 1:20.