My Top 250 Movies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
That's definitely in my top 3 Bergmans.

I either clapped, cheered, or hoorayed the movie when his housekeeper says she'll keep the door open

Her face said it all.... I hope she got her smiles that night

STROSZEK

09-08-17
TCM played this (and 4 others by Herzog).. The lead actor is so great, and just found out he wasn't an actor, but a musician.

My kind of movie. Funny. Would have probably done better with a title like "Welcome to America"..

BELLISSIMA

01-10-18 Thanks @TokeZa - your score prioritized this movie for me, and I finally saw a movie - I was spending the last 5 days trying to decide.

Very good movie, I love Anna Magnani - she's definitely a force to be reckoned with. She always lives by her own rules, and has the full package - strong-willed, sexy, logical, funny, angry..

FAT CITY

10-03-16
Now this is probably my third favorite John Huston movie. It was just on TCM. I hope you guys check it out. I never heard of the main actor, but he was very, very good. I love the characters, their interaction, humor, and some great writing, which is why John Huston is great.

FAT CITY

10-03-16
Now this is probably my third favorite John Huston movie. It was just on TCM. I hope you guys check it out. I never heard of the main actor, but he was very, very good. I love the characters, their interaction, humor, and some great writing, which is why John Huston is great.
I caught an incredible John Huston retrospective on the Criterion Channel some months back. Of the 22 films of his I’ve seen, I have Fat City as my sixth favorite (behind The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Asphalt Jungle, High Sierra and Key Largo). It’s the perfect marriage of stark, New Hollywood character studies and Huston’s Hemingway-esque obsessions with men and traditional / exaggerated expressions of masculinity. Normally that’s not my thing (I gave up trying to like Hemingway in High School, New Hollywood has never been my favorite moment of American filmmaking and I’m not really much of a sports fan), but here it’s a perfect marriage of director, style and subject matter. I actually liked it quite a bit despite myself.

I forgot the opening line.
It's about time I saw The Elephant Man again, though it's been well-watched from me (a good excuse to get myself the Criterion edition) - love Wild Strawberries. Birdman of Alcatraz - my favourite scene was that one you mention, where a guard somewhat humanizes the world again for prisoner Stroud in a role reversal, demanding respect and empathy. Shane is a well-worn favourite that I only just like - and one day I'll watch it again, perhaps getting more out of it. 12 Angry Men is great - I saw that again recently. Same goes for 5 Easy Pieces - we shouldn't forget how good Karen Black was in that. She gets overshadowed by Jack Nicholson. The Conversation is a real, top 50 favourite of mine. Midnight Cowboy recently got a
from me in a review. A Man Escaped was really tense - saw that early this year. The 400 Blows hit me harder the second time around. I really like All About Eve - it's been ages since I saw Marty, but I remember really liking it. Always reminds me of Quiz Show that movie. As always, there's heaps that have gone onto my watchlist, because this is a rich source of great-looking films I've never heard of.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

THE SIGN OF THE LEO

12-28-18

My favorite Rohmer. Great movie about a guy who thinks he's inherited millions, only to be denied. Then he wanders, trying to get around.. If anyone knows of any movies similar, I'd appreciate it. (Umberto D reminds of one, and a few others).

HIS DAYS ARE NUMBERED
01-23-19

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0136225/
"I giorni contati"

What a great movie. It begins with the main character seeing his co-worker die, and he quits his jobs and tries to live it up, but of course life doesn't turn out the way you think it will.

Full movie with Spanish subtitles, but you can find an English one on subscene.com
https://archive.org/details/IGiorniC...DiElioPetriCon

WOMAN IN THE DUNES
03-04-17
I picked this randomly. I sometimes DVR things on TCM if they have a 90% or up, regardless of the director, actor, and this was real good.

It's a thriller, a mystery, it's a drama. Not quite a disaster movie. Very sensual. It did kinda drag towards the end, but when it did, I yelped out loud, hoping it wasn't true.

If you've seen this movie, I'd love to read your review.. My recording cut out, and luckily I found the entire movie on Youtube, so hopefully you guys check it out.

Should I just post the rest simultaneously? Or one by one, text only?

This is taking me forever. This laptop works when it wants to, and when it does work, it's kinda on strike.

Should I just post the rest simultaneously? Or one by one, text only?

This is taking me forever. This laptop works when it wants to, and when it does work, it's kinda on strike.
Maybe you could try posting a couple films a day to speed up the process.

Or, I could bring raul in here to annoy you

I'm gonna be honest, Fat City kinda bored me. It felt like something was missing throughout the whole thing. Loved Annie Hall, though. Adored how it satirized the experimental side of filmmaking in an almost magical fashion.

Maybe you could try posting a couple films a day to speed up the process.

Or, I could bring raul in here to annoy you

I would, but this computer is soooooooo slow. I'll try to post the next one.

LAST TANGO IN PARIS

01-16-20

I've seen this at least a handful of times... Didn't like it in my teens, loved it in my 20s, now it's leveled off (maybe because of so many viewings?).

EDIT: Maybe its human nature, but I noticed how she is so attracted to him when he's despicable, but is turned off when he tries to be honest and more gentle.

04-15-15
Last Tango In Paris - 8/10 - Don't love it as much as I used to. Maybe it's some of the writing that I loved. The acting and directing is very great, but there are some dull parts. I wouldn't have rated this as highly, but then again, I watched this today, with an hour intermission. It also could have been when and where I saw this film repeatedly over a year ago.

AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON

07-31-16

Great movie about life. Family and friends growing old, and wanting their children to be happy as well. I really found it interesting the men talking about World War II, and how the Naval Captain actually thought it was good they lost, with the younger man agreeing. He felt by losing the war, American culture spread to them, and you can see both cultures mixed. Traditional marriage, arranged by not forced, while the housewife uses a Brillo pad afterwards. The movie has some funny lines, and the relationship between the characters is interesting and clear. You know exactly how each person feels in the movie. Very well directed, might have to watch another by Ozu today.