sciencefiction movie from the seventies ?

Tools    

Hello,
Does anybody know a lot about science-fiction movies that where made between 1965 and 1982 ?
I am searching for the title of a science-fiction movie which I have watched in 1982 and which must be made in the period as mentioned above. (after 1965 and before 1982).

The only thing that I can remember about the movie is the final plot: A few persons were living in a spaceship while another spaceship (the enemy) was planning to destroy them. To avoid being destroyed, the crew-members planned a counter-attack. The counter-attack was actually a very painful decision: One of the crew-members, an older man, had to sacrifice himself by taking place into a big bomb which was on board of the spaceship. He had to detach this bomb from the spaceship and he had to steer the bomb (with himself inside the bomb) into the direction of the enemy-spaceship in order to destroy the enemy in this way.

Not an exact match, but Star Trek's episode The Doomsday Machine has Commodore Decker taking his entire starship, by himself, into the mouth of the 'enemy' and blowing it up. Size of the starship compared to the Doomsday Machine could be viewed as a bomb.

Hi OHForums, thank you very much for your effort to help me. Unfortunately it is not Star Trek, neither the Star Trek episode you mentioned.

Let's try this one: Silent Running with Bruce Dern separating the section of the spaceship holding the living plants from Earth from this section of the ship which is being boarded by the 'government officials' who will destroy the trees/plants. He blows himself and the officials up with a bomb.

Hi OHForums, thank you again ! I have watched the link you have sent. This is unfortunately also not the movie where I am searching for.

I am not very sure, but I have a very slight remembrance of a certain scene which was played somewhere in the beginning of the movie in my head. That scene took place somewhere in a building on earth. In that scene somebody found some kind of a "silicon face-mask". That mask was thrown away earlier by someone else. Perhaps that mask was used to mislead other people. Probably it was resembling the face of somebody else, but actually my remembrance of this scene is very very vague.

Hello to all,
I have just asked my younger sister what she could remember about the movie we have seen in 1982. She told me that she couldn't remember anymore about the bomb and the possible silicon mask. She only remembered that the movie started on earth where some unexplainable mysteries occurred. They thought it had to be caused by some invisible aliens. Furthermore: in her remembrance the movie ended in space with a big explosion.

There was the miniseries, V, from 1983. The aliens had a fake, thin synthetic mask over their reptilian skin to look human. I don't remember an explosion, but it was about 40 years ago.

V (1983 miniseries)

V tv show

Hello to all,
I have just asked my younger sister what she could remember about the movie we have seen in 1982. She told me that she couldn't remember anymore about the bomb and the possible silicon mask. She only remembered that the movie started on earth where some unexplainable mysteries occurred. They thought it had to be caused by some invisible aliens. Furthermore: in her remembrance the movie ended in space with a big explosion.
This is a long shot but watch this trailer for Dark Star (1974) and see if that's the movie you're thinking of?

Hello OHForums, thanks a lot again for your effort to help me. I am sure that I have watched the movie before july 1982, so it definitely could not be the V miniseries.

Hello Citizen Rules, thank you also for trying to help me. On youtube I watched the entire movie Dark Star (1974), but unfortunately this is also not the movie which i have in my mind.

Anyway thanks a lot !

I’m not so think as you drunk I am
Wrong genre I know but it reminds me of the scene from Dr Strangelove

There was an episode of the new Outer Limits series a little like that. A war is going on between Earth and some aliens. Earth sends a doomsday bomb to destroy the alien planet. Along the way there is a battle and the crew are knocked out and the ship crippled. The crew then makes a valiant effort to deliver the bomb. They all die along the way. Sacrificing themselves to keep the ship on the mission. The last man guides the bomb to the planet. Then the last scene shows the horror. The aliens had turned the ship around and crippled enough of it's sensors to hide that. They just delivered the bomb to Earth. I don't remember the title of the episode.

Hi MovieChas,

Thank you for your reply !

Yes, the story you describe comes quite close to what I am searching for.
I think you mean the episodes 01-13 (Quality of Mercy) and 02-18 (The Light Brigade). These series are actually made in 1995 and 1996, so they cannot be what I am looking for.
The first series of Outer Limits were made between 1963 and 1965. Those series are also not what I am looking for.
In my memory it was a full movie, not a (part of a) tv-serie. Furthermore, the movie was in color, while the first series of Outer Limits (1963/1965) were shot in black and white.

To Buff&Stuff: Thanks for your suggestion. It is not Dr. Strangelove from Stanley Kubrick.