The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Since we're dying in this 3-months-waiting boredom, Can you please share some more info to feed the forum chitchat?
For example: How many titles so far got three or more mentions in the ballots? 🤔
I think, this doesn't violate the confidentiality of the game.

57 movies have three or more ballots.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Can't I didn't warn y'all. I suggest large investments into pesticides and magnets sooner than later.

Submitted a list, don't wanna miss out on another one!

Credit to Diehl for taking this on and good luck, and amazing job by Yoda to give us that ballot creator and automated list PM, makes life so much easier.

Excited to see the variety of films here, definitely one of the most eclectic lists I've ever compiled and I'm guessing most people will be in the same boat.

I haven't been checking this thread, or actually the forum, a whole lot lately... but I'm gonna try to assemble this now. Daunting task, especially when crossing genre lines, which I'm sure has been the issue with most people. Generally speaking, I'm gonna try to stick to what I consider more "pure comedies", instead of romcoms or comedy dramas. Personally, I also won't include animated films, and probably no musicals either, just to make it easier for me to come up with a coherent list. I'm up to 60-something now, but I'm gonna try to trim it down.

Yeah, I've got a rough outline in my head but need to pare it down still.

I'm mostly just going with the things I found funniest, with "funniest" meaning some mix of laughter and long-term admiration. Not as much with the "best overall films that can be reasonably described as comedies" thing, even though I understand why someone would want to go that way. But I won't really be giving films any (or, more realistically, many) points for being good in non-comedic ways.

I haven't been checking this thread, or actually the forum, a whole lot lately... but I'm gonna try to assemble this now. Daunting task, especially when crossing genre lines, which I'm sure has been the issue with most people. Generally speaking, I'm gonna try to stick to what I consider more "pure comedies", instead of romcoms or comedy dramas. Personally, I also won't include animated films, and probably no musicals either, just to make it easier for me to come up with a coherent list. I'm up to 60-something now, but I'm gonna try to trim it down.

All i can reply is to note that the sky is blue, and all the leaves are green. The sun, well, she's warm like a baked pa-tay-tah!

Oh, i shiver in antici-pation to see what makes the count.

o . O

A system of cells interlinked
What gets me is that...this is a movie forum. Surely having even slightly more of an interest in movies than the average person is what draws one here in the first place, and to still struggle to even list 25 titles even after being given several months to do so...I don't know. Maybe permitting partial ballots at all was a mistake.
The idea that someone can't get 25 films on a ballot seems especially absurd as I sit here agonizing over a list of like 68 flicks, trying to get it down to 25, only to be reminded of 30 more that could possibly make my list as I catch up on this thread...

People say comedy is subjective. When they say that, it's usually implying personal taste. But it's also very subjective to whatever mood you happen to be in. Trying to revisit some movies to see how well they held up, I found myself not laughing very much, leading me to think I'm not in a very laughing mood. So I'm just submitting my ballot now. I had to screen-cap it because the arbitrariness of some of the selections and ordering was quite high (but aren't all such "top x" lists?).

I just hope one of my entries doesn't get messed up in the tallying because the short, with the same name, was released the year before (i.e. hopefully other people didn't pick the first one to show up, splitting the vote).

I absolutely adore Dead Poets Society, but a comedy? Apparently imdb thinks so.
The rule of thumb I've been going with, when I want to watch a comedy, to laugh or get the catharsis I associate with laughing, then I consider it. For me, that ruled out dramedies, but not necessarily poignant comedies (or dark comedies). The sub-genre that didn't cross my mind until one of them came up when looking up comedies I've seen on letterboxd was films I'd classify as, "anarchaic fun that's either a farce or dark mirror of society that I laugh while watching." e.g. Daisies or Even Dwarfs Started Small. The weird experience I had on the first one particularly, was thinking up all of the adjectives I'd use to describe it and the experience watching it, and realizing they basically encapsulated how I'd describe something like Duck Soup. But still, I left them out of consideration for me, just because when I think, "I want to laugh," it just doesn't come to mind. Good group watch type of movie though.

ETA: That's just me giving some of the criteria I used for eliminating movies.

One movie I'd have liked to have rewatched to see if it clicked with me better a second time would have been The Rules of the Game. Since, as I said above, I didn't seem to be in a laughing mood, I doubt any rewatch would have helped in a re-assessment of it (at least as a farcical comedy). But I guess if people are scrambling and want ideas for how to class up that list, I'll mention it, since I don't think I saw anyone else do so.

ETA: People expressed qualms about recency bias for this list. Sorry to say, I just tallied up my points by decade, and whoa boy, I sure feel like a philistine. And I as I say that, I forgot about a movie when submitting my ballot. Oh well, 'tis what it is.

Boldly going.
I haven't read the first 16 pages. Has it been discussed what "top" means? Does it mean your personal favourite comedies, or the comedies that have had the greatest impact on film or society? Or both?
I know in previous poles this question was not discussed prior to the poles being opened.

I haven't read the first 16 pages. Has it been discussed what "top" means? Does it mean your personal favourite comedies, or the comedies that have had the greatest impact on film or society? Or both?
I know in previous poles this question was not discussed prior to the poles being opened.
It means whatever you decide it should mean.

I'm still around a solid 32 titles, but in my review process I've learned that Funny Games is NOT that funny. Not at all. =\ There wasn't even one song sung the entire movie! I thought probably it was a translation error or something so I found the original. nope. Not even.

(if I've already posted this, please ignore)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
There were 57 triple voted movies out of 28 ballots.
Now, page one informs us that there are 35 ballots so I guess the triple voted films already exceeded 60. These will probably be more than 70 till the final date but not sure if they gonna reach 100.