A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Things is one of those movies I could never expect anyone to possibly like. It's always a miracle not to hate it with every fibre of your being.
I don't know, I was hooked before 15 minutes had passed. It's been a cruddy week for multiple reasons, but for an hour and a half Things made it all better. I watched an animated Disney musical immediately prior to it, and I was much happier watching Things.

I don't know, I was hooked before 15 minutes had passed. It's been a cruddy week for multiple reasons, but for an hour and a half Things made it all better. I watched an animated Disney musical immediately prior to it, and I was much happier watching Things.

You passed the test.

I gave Things 5 stars on letterboxd and didn't think twice about it.

You don't have to convince me of how healing it can be. It has consistently been filling my life with joy for more than 30 years now. I sort of love every image, sound and diversion it has to offer. I love the boredom and the badness. I've adored it and for a long time it was a very lonely thing to adore.

I've never lied when I essentially cite this as one of the Rosetta Stone's of how I now think about film. This, The Exorcist, Andrei Rublev, Passion of Joan of Arc, Woman Under the Influence almost cover everything. And this one in particular is the beginning of all the beautiful brain rot I've filled my life with ever since.

But I also understand this is a very abnormal reaction to have towards something like this. You really do have to be some kind of hero to let this get its weird hooks in you. And I'm nothing, if not a hero. And it seems you are also someone to similarly look up to.

*gives a thumbs up and a toothy smile*

I love the boredom and the badness.
At one point I realized I was getting impatient during the monster scenes because I wanted to get back to the couch/kitchen conversations. That's where the magic happens.

Some choice dialogue from Things: "Fred Fred Fred Freako. Can't you do anything for yourself? I think you've been reading the Lazy Man's Guide to Living a little too much lately. Next time you come with me, you're staying home"

There is ee cummings and there is Barry J. Gillis/Andrew Jordan. And then there is no more poets.

Fred
Fred
Fred

Freako

Can't
you do
anything

For yourself?

I think you've been reading
The Lazy Man's Guide to Living

A little too much

Lately.

Next time you come with me,
You're staying home.

Victim of The Night
You have to be relative, because what I consider a 6.5, someone else might consider a 3, or a 9.

And maybe I should have clarified that gore doesn't bother me so much as emotionally upsetting things.

... I read a review of I Spit on Your Grave written by a woman who had herself been a victim of rape. She wrote about liking the film as a sort of fantasy/catharsis of revenge. As someone who also uses horror movies to confront and work through some of my own fears and experiences, I totally get this point of view. I also read a review of I Spit on Your Grave where the writer enthusiastically said that it had the "best rape scenes", made lots of comments about the lead actress's body, and just generally filled me with despair.
Yeah, but TCM has almost no gore in it at all. It's all just how startling and punishing it is. We watched the hammer scene the other night and the guy starts having a seizure on the floor (which as a doctor, I really appreciate) and so he hits him again to stop his seizure and then just drags him in and slams the door. And other than just hanging a fighting and flailing Pam on the ****ing hook and then just turning around and going back to his business while she screams, I think that might still be the most intense moment in the movie and in the conversation for all of Horror cinema.
But there are lots of those I guess. Like I mentioned, the
WARNING: "key moment spoiled, Tak, do not open" spoilers below
flame-thrower scene
in Don't Go In The House and pretty much the whole middle act of Last House On The Left (particularly when Krug just shoots Lucy) those are hard times in cinema, IMO, even though there's not much gore.

Aside, if you can find it, I would love to read the article about I Spit On Your Grave. I found that movie so ugly I would really like to hear a perspective where it was cathartic for a victim.

Yeah, but TCM has almost no gore in it at all. It's all just how startling and punishing it is. We watched the hammer scene the other night and the guy starts having a seizure on the floor (which as a doctor, I really appreciate) and so he hits him again to stop his seizure and then just drags him in and slams the door.
As a young man I convinced a horror-averse cousin to watch TCM with me because "it's not really gory". He did not handle the twitching scene very well and things only got worse from there. 30 years later he still gives me a hard time about it and I'm pretty sure he thinks less of me as a person now. OOPS!

Victim of The Night
Watch Malatesta's Carnival Of Blood.

Victim of The Night
As a young man I convinced a horror-averse cousin to watch TCM with me because "it's not really gory". He did not handle the twitching scene very well and things only got worse from there. 30 years later he still gives me a hard time about it and I'm pretty sure he thinks less of me as a person now. OOPS!
I hear ya. Long before I ever saw TCM, I saw the wonderful Terror In The Aisles, which contains that scene and I was just mesmerized. From that whole movie, that scene stood out to me the most. I don't know what that says about me.