Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28th Hall of Fame

Rams (2015) -

I can understand this film being too slow for some people, but I really enjoyed its story. I found Gummi's and Kiddi's disdain towards each other tragic since, from what we saw in the film, their behavior made both their lives more complicated. Kiddi had two instances of nearly freezing to death due to his alcoholism and Gummi played a part in saving him both times. Meanwhile, Gummi's jealousy of Kiddi's success at the start of the film led to an act which caused most of the conflict in the film. It was clear they both needed each other since their behavior was bad for both of them. A similarity between the two of them though was that they both cared deeply for their rams, so it wasn't until a threat came to their herd that they were forced to cooperate. Some people may take issue with how a couple details are left open at the end, but I didn't mind that since it prevented the film's emotional register from feeling blunt. The film was also darkly humorous in certain scenes, specifically when Gummi used his tractor to pick up Kiddi and carry him to a hospital, only to dump his body at the entrance and drive off. Given the rather dehumanizing elements of that scene, it seemed like Gummi was giving Kiddi a middle finger and saving his life at the same time. Finally, the various landscape shots were lovely to look at. I don't believe I've ever seen a film from Iceland, but I found this film to be a great introduction to the country.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5525466

Samurai Rebellion - (1967)

Like in Harakiri, Masaki Kobayashi's Samurai Rebellion examines power structures unfairly dealing with those subjugated to them, in this instance a young man forced to marry, and then, after good fortune blesses the union, being forced to return the bride. His father, Isaburo Sasahara (played here by the one and only Toshiro Mifune) has a lot of say in the household, and is (rightly) pretty disgusted by what their lord is putting them through. The family take a stand against their own lord, the odds impossibly stacked against them. There was a lot to enjoy here, visually, performance-wise and story-wise. Although I prefer Harakiri, this Kobayashi film flew by and includes all the best elements of samurai-based Japanese entertainment of this period.

8/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 87/100

By POV - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15518663

The Lonely Guy - (1984)

Actors can save what otherwise might be a very average film - Steve Martin and Charles Grodin come to the rescue here, ad-libbing and adding enough to this film to give it a certain charm and warmth. I have to admit, some jokes fall flat, but others seem fresh still, and can't help but make you laugh. It's easy to delineate the bad from the good as Arthur Hiller shooting what's on the script (bad) to Martin and co improvising and suggesting changes (good) which makes for an uneven movie, but one that's worth watching for Steve Martin fans.

Going through Steve Martin's filmography before the Comedy Countdown, I've watched The Jerk, The Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid plus this. I still have All of Me to watch, and others I'm more than familiar with.

6.5/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from IMP Awards., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33154838

Paranormal Activity 3 - (2011)

Paranormal Activity 2 didn't scare me, and I didn't even find it spooky, so I jumped ship on the franchise right there and then. Last night I was watching Unknown Dimension: The Story of Paranormal Activity, which gave a pretty honest appraisal of every film - and they let me know that the third entry was actually one of the best in the entire series, so I watched it last night and yeah - it's not bad. It's far from perfect, but I'll accept anything because my favourite genre is full of entries that don't quite get it right 100% (Hereditary, for example, is a rare example of one that does.) A jump scare got me good, which is annoying - and I was unsettled, trying to get to sleep in a dark, quiet house. I know from that same doco that Paranormal 4 and the two succeeding entries are pretty bad, and not worth watching.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Extreme Prejudice

https://boxd.it/2QK7Bz

4.5/5

I gave it an extra half star for being tailor made for me with that cast, genre and director.

The Batman (2022)

Finally got around to seeing this, freaking awesome. It was a risky movie both in its pacing, casting and the overall visual style. But they pulled it off and it worked well.

4/5 stars.

@PHOENIX74 where can I watch Unknown Dimension? I’m a sucker for docs on horror franchises, even if I don’t like the movies themselves lol.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
@PHOENIX74 where can I watch Unknown Dimension? I’m a sucker for docs on horror franchises, even if I don’t like the movies themselves lol.
Paramount+

I forgot the opening line.
I found it on Paramount+, which (while pretty inexpensive) you need a subscription for. It was a pretty good doc though.

Dark Glasses (2022)

Another lackluster Argento that makes one wonder how he managed to make such great movies earlier in his career. Pastorelli is quite decent as the lead but otherwise, the acting isn't any better than the film itself. Some decent gore isn't enough to redeem this.

--
Morbius (2022)

It's garbage. There's no other way to put it. I wish I could get that time back.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've seen Bicycle Thieves, Yesterday Today and Tomorrow, The Children are Watching Us, and his entry in The Witches.

I'm slowly getting around to his work. While I do love, on one level, the neorealist style, probably about 85% of my movie watching is for escapist purposes.

Umberto D has been on my watchlist for ages.
"Sunflower" is a must. Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni. I think it's the best love story in a movie - any language... "Two Women" is another great with Sophia Loren, but pretty dark. But he spent most of the 60s with this new Italian kinda comedy, some good, some I haven't seen (mid-latter 60s).. I gave "A Brief Vacation" a 9/10, which I think is his last great movie. Many people love "The Garden of the Finzi-Continis" which I think is good, but not even a Top 10 De Sica. I prefer "The Roof", which is another great movie about a young family's struggle.

-Miracle in Milan is a neo-realistic fantasy, which sounds odd, but the main character is ... interesting. Very positive

Did you like "The Witches"? It's the only thing I haven't seen of his (not counting the movies with Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine). The comedies with Loren and Mastroianni are pretty good, and "Il Boom" with Alberto Sordi, which was an important movie in the new genre of commedia all'italiana .. Lots of people love "Marriage Italian Style" (even Nixon saw it in the WH) with Sophia and Marcello, but again, it's middle-of-the-road in comparison to his best.

I highly recommend the documentary, "Vittorio D" which was on Prime, might still be, or one of those 3rd party channels via Amazon.

P.S. - Just don't watch the one with Monty Clift. I guess he wasn't able to do English as good. "A Place For Lovers" is nice, because of the Alps, but not much to it - one of those "I have to pay my gambling debts" movies he didn't wanna do, but had to.

P.S. - Just don't watch the one with Monty Clift. I guess he wasn't able to do English as good. "A Place For Lovers" is nice, because of the Alps, but not much to it - one of those "I have to pay my gambling debts" movies he didn't wanna do, but had to.
Gotta disagree here, not so much because Terminal Station is particularly good (though I like it better than conventional wisdom), but because I think Montgomery Clift is always worth watching (even if he also hated the movie, sorry, Monty!).

Umberto D has been on my watchlist for ages.
Have a hankie ready. Some scenes always make me cry.

Hatching (2022)
Pahanhautoja

It saddens me to say, once again, that the Finnish movie industry is among the weakest in Europe. I tried to be positive because a Finnish horror film is such a rarity, but that positivity didn't last too long. Hatching is visually ugly, the acting is mediocre at best, the writing lacks nuances and subtlety, and it fails to rouse any tension or dread (to be fair, though, it's more like a drama with horror elements than a full-on horror). I guess, there's a little extra on my rating for support.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Have a hankie ready. Some scenes always make me cry.

Yes. It has one very funny part, though, too, but I kinda like emotional movies. Orson Welles called this his favorite movie ever.

"It could make a stone cry" (although Orson said this about "Make Way For Tomorrow").

Yes. It has one very funny part, though, too, but I kinda like emotional movies. Orson Welles called this his favorite movie ever.

"It could make a stone cry" (although Orson said this about "Make Way For Tomorrow").
WARNING: spoilers below
It just killed me when he lost his little dog.