The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've discovered that running away from the cops on foot is quite fun in Cyberbunk . (Which is cool because driving away from the low-star ones is way too easy)

Doing clunky cyborg parkour as a drone buzzes after you feels pretty grand. Picking a route on the fly as you scarper, leaping up electrical boxes over walls wondering what's going to be on the other side, ending up on top of industrial estates and that. Or rushing through backstreet markets, or along overpasses looking for a handy point to leap out...

I'm not even sure how I angered the cops on the second occasion. (I think it might have been the contagious hack I used on a gang engaged in a shoot-out with them. Possibly it carried on spreading and infected a cop? Either that or I just shot one of them in the confusion )

Either way, I'm kinda tempted to rack up some higher star counts now just to see if I can outrun them

Some fun constrasting pursuits in Cyberpunk:

Following up on the tail end resolutions of some story arcs, this time involving VR scuba diving out in the wilds.

Ended up just bumping around the badlands for a while, finding a lore figure in a dumpster fridge, and interfering in robberies that seemed to be happening at every other convenience store. (Had a particularly fun VR moment when a lookout I'd missed, hidden amongst some rusty storage containers, started firing auto-tracker bullets at me as I scurried around on a fuel depot roof )

Arrived back in the big smoke in an utterly wrecked sports off-roader. Only to realise that I could now tackle 'gigs' in some of the swankier sections of town. Ended up getting sent on quite a few stealth missions deep in the bellies of mob-owned clubs. Was nice to finely find a use for the 'Whistle' hack (which draws a target towards your hiding place). Managed to take out a club owner in his VIP hide-away on the 5th attempt... :/

(The scanning 'tag' function, location layouts, and hacking options really do lend themselves well to the stealth side of the game. It's still clearly not a full blown stealth title, but it's pretty darn close when it wants to be )

My attempts to mediate between a 'cyberpsycho' and a gang which thought he was a phantom went less well....

(It is kinda mad that these are all the lowest tier, 'incidental', missions though, stuffed as they are with lore and specific storified outcomes. Sometimes even nesting inside bigger story elements. Such as the bus depot I raided which played into some larger corporate war games.)

Footnote: Still loving my double-jump cyber legs

Finally finished with Elden Ring, nearly 200 hours, and reached level 200. I struggled way more than I expected with the final boss because my strength-build was not adequate to beat him.

Overall it is a great game, one of the best single-player RPGs I ever played.

Still, it has some issues IMO:

1. Lack of worldbuilding, it looks like the game depicts a world of zombies, but there are a few humans scattered and it is just all a bit weird. I prefer games that have a more sophisticated world-building.

2. As you level up, the enemies stay the same but with a higher level: there are zombie-soldiers that look identical in late-game areas to early game zombie-soldiers. Instead, I think every enemy in the game should have an appearance that is consistent with its level.

Strength build got buff from the latest update and Elden ring can't get more fun :3. Before heavy weapon animations were kinda sluggish and to my noob's brain, I always have a hard time against the faster, agile mob. They also improved some related ashes of war also, like my (more like everyone) favorite right now is lion's claw+guts great sword.

That's being said anything bleeds still OP tho' :'), enjoy it before got debuffed (i really hope not, maybe just for PVP, maybe).

Just lately I am more into another layer of this game tho', which is pvp (not duel but invasion; I'm just so bad at that). I tried to make low-level (rl25) and mainly wander around stormveil castle. Lot of interesting things but to me, it is more like a strategic, mind game battle, as mostly the invader ends up in a one vs gank situation. The aspect I really enjoyed is that it's not necessarily a frontal encounter, as many variables the invader can use, like waiting for an ambush, luring them into a tight spot with enemies. The variability host and summoned players also add more layers of enjoyment. Sometimes I just hide and wait, do nothing but the host just dies, either a comedic or tragic situation xD. One I can't get enough of is when they failed to make the jump from a high platform. Sometimes they come aggressively, sometimes they sit and wait, sometimes they just dgaf especially when there three of them.
To prolong my chance I circumvented around to upgrade my talisman pouch, and manage to unlock four of them; with some useful talismans at least to make the character fairly tankier. I mean the other players (especially the summoned one) sometimes if not often also have good stuff in their sleeves. Maybe they summoned friends that were already high level(their level get scaled-down), or like me, they knew and had collected/traded some mid to late-game stuff otw, or they are just that good progressing the game. Like how in the hell they already come with radahn stuff or, one time, with the tankiest armor so early in the game. It's really "you don't know what you gonna get" situation . In the end, I'm trying to not be tempted myself to obtain or use more late stuff, but to justify the situation, as I hoped it just not turn out to be flat bullying of new players.
Most of the time, it's not that hard to differentiate players that know their stuff tho'. One session I encountered a naked host with two tankier bodyguards. Managed the other two with the help of mobs, but this host is just tough to kill with his roll skill and i guess, lot of vigor. At last manage to parry him but either the lag or my bad frames i missed the critical riposte, and surprisingly to me he somehow managed to summon other players while try to evade all my attack. Run out my flasks and end up in humiliation xD.
Still, the most fun I just got was when I switched to coop mode one time and meet an invader with interesting pyro build. He knows his stuff apparently but I luckily managed to parry him after a thrilling roll catch session and emptied his flasks xD. Good that the host very reliable to not die by his fire stuff.

1. Lack of worldbuilding, it looks like the game depicts a world of zombies, but there are a few humans scattered and it is just all a bit weird. I prefer games that have a more sophisticated world-building.
Yeah, I can help myself wondering to myself. Fromsoft very much stick with it "depressing" formula and its obtuse questline just to not give the player some area with wandering "you can talk with" peasants, or another isolated hub or villages with non-combatant lives (with maybe some little errand quest otw), as to add more immersion to the open-world. One that they gave outside the quest hub is the peaceful Jar village and that is quite sad.

Nearly 70hrs in Cyberpunk. Still haven't fast travelled anywhere yet

It's not that the driving is great exactly. (It's not. But scudding through the traffic on future highways, or navigating sharp city bends, is still fun ). It's more that incidental events you find and atmospheric shifts as you travel are still fun in themselves. (I'm mainly still addicted to finding vantage points on whatever stray police event or firefight etc I drive by )

Last night I stumbled onto what seems to be a murder mystery mission of sorts. (Was just doing my 'buy crafting stuff' shopping trip having levelled up in a story mission, and while trying to find the entrance to the backwater gun shop I poked my head in an abandoned garage instead. Found a busted bike, a photo, and a new mission with no marker. (So either the mission is bugged, or I'm supposed to find the location by sight )

It's a challenge I'm up for

(Talking of bugs, I've had very few. A couple of crashes, but not sure if they were due to the mod or not. Just had one fun incident where: I two-wheeled a corner and got stuck on top of some junk. While stuck there a pedestrian walked into me and perished. The game eventually teleported me out of the predicament, but left me with a crime stat. I tried to steal another car to escape, but it hit me, and I was dragged along, just 20ft behind it like a mid-air Jesus. This was very odd in VR. But on the plus side, I escaped the crime stat that way, and was eventually freed by a large truck to the face )

@Golgot, have you seen habie147 on YouTube? He does a lot of fun little VR videos, quasi-reviews with some humor, really good-natured and digestible.

I think he's "famous" because for some reason the YT algorithm decided it liked him last year and he went from like 1,000 subscribers to a few hundred thousand over the course of a month, or something. Anyway, I like him.

A system of cells interlinked
Still progressing along nicely in Elden Ring, having completed Caelid, City of Nokron and Sofria Aqueduct. Am now a fair amount through Deeproot Depths and have done a portion of Altus Plateau. The game just keeps on going, with no sign of stopping anytime soon - I can still see more lands/castles etc. in the distance in various areas.

Speaking of Caelid, this guy was an absolute BEATING.

I barely came up to his knee, and he handed me my ass for a while before I finally got his move set down and managed to (barely) take him down. Easily one of the hardest fights I have done in a Souls game, and I found myself yelling at the screen several times! Lots of bloodstains on the ground, so I wasn't the only one... In the end, I prevailed, so on I trudge...

I have been a STR build since the beginning, using primarily power-stanced dual greatswords buffed with Sacred Vow and Determination. In some cases I switch to two-handing The Greatsword with a flame infusion and some flame strike Ash of War with a name I can't recall at the moment. I have tried Dex/Int etc. in the past, and I ran dark builds in DS3, but STR has always been my favorite.

Lastly, I hate giant bugs in these games. Ack!

@Golgot, have you seen habie147 on YouTube? He does a lot of fun little VR videos, quasi-reviews with some humor, really good-natured and digestible.

I think he's "famous" because for some reason the YT algorithm decided it liked him last year and he went from like 1,000 subscribers to a few hundred thousand over the course of a month, or something. Anyway, I like him.
Ah no hadn't. Yeah it's a great (if risky) niche for YTers really. Tons of 'make your own fun' potential with all the hand interactions etc. Tons of untouched experimental indie games out there behind the AA staples.

It's nice to see VR being that much more prevalent in gaming channels / reddits etc more generally. (Still a long way from having 'made it', but everyone's happy to boggle at the latest oddity now )

Still progressing along nicely in Elden Ring, having completed Caelid, City of Nokron and Sofria Aqueduct. Am now a fair amount through Deeproot Depths and have done a portion of Altus Plateau. The game just keeps on going, with no sign of stopping anytime soon - I can still see more lands/castles etc. in the distance in various areas.

Speaking of Caelid, this guy was an absolute BEATING.

I barely came up to his knee, and he handed me my ass for a while before I finally got his move set down and managed to (barely) take him down. Easily one of the hardest fights I have done in a Souls game, and I found myself yelling at the screen several times! Lots of bloodstains on the ground, so I wasn't the only one... In the end, I prevailed, so on I trudge...
I remember I beat him in one try and that was soon after spending one afternoon trying to beat Rennala. Shows how difficulty can vary for different people with different bosses. In my case, I beat him using a horse and also I called the other guys like the wolf-dude to help me.

Fancy a game of spot the difference?

Here is a slick Jackfrags vid putting Star Citizen in its best possible light...

And here is what really happened

(That's an unlisted vid because I don't want my fun-loving VR channel getting tangled in fervid flamewars. But there's a reddit host here )

Fancy a game of spot the difference?

Here is a slick Jackfrags vid putting Star Citizen in its best possible light...

And here is what really happened

(That's an unlisted vid because I don't want my fun-loving VR channel getting tangled in fervid flamewars. But there's a reddit host here )
wait was this game on the pc?

wait was this game on the pc?
It’s not so much a game right now, more the most expensive pre-alpha ever made.

But yes, on PC

The Adventure Starts Here!
I got an email from Mojang stating that they were migrating everyone's Minecraft accounts. I hadn't touched that game in ages/months/years? but decided to go do the migration thing.

Now I'm sucked back in—partly due to all the fun stuff they've added in the past few years—and have started four different worlds in about three days. Minecraft: the gift that keeps on giving.

Now I'm sucked back in—partly due to all the fun stuff they've added in the past few years—and have started four different worlds in about three days. Minecraft: the gift that keeps on giving.
Try it in VR Aus

(Vivecraft mod is super easy to install, and has teleport locomotion by default. Plus then the blocks really are 1 metre high. It’s nuts )

The Adventure Starts Here!
Try it in VR Aus

(Vivecraft mod is super easy to install, and has teleport locomotion by default. Plus then the blocks really are 1 metre high. It’s nuts )
I actually did try it when it first came out after I got my Rift. Freaked me out a little bit, as do so many things in VR.