2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

I was planning on doing so this weekend but mandatory OT was decided for Saturday.

Does kanopy have a good selection of cinema novo?
I don't know. I used the Wikipedia list and just started putting movies into JustWatch. Barravento sounded interesting and it was the first one that was available on a platform I had access to.

Also answers to Jabba
Where do you guys watch your Cinema Novo films? This might be the only real difficult category for me, as access seems limited. I don’t have criterion channel.

Os Fuzis is available on youtube with English subs.

Also answers to Jabba
In other news, today I was geeking out about the annual film challenges and tried to check what were my choices over the years for the repeated categories (director, actor, genre, decade, country) so I decided to dump sci-fi which was my original choice for 2022 and do crime instead in order to avoid repetition for as long as possible.

Question: Would you classify Licence to Kill as crime? IMDb doesn't think so but James Bond trying to infiltrate and take down a crime syndicate makes this at least plausible. Thoughts?

Question: Would you classify Licence to Kill as crime? IMDb doesn't think so but James Bond trying to infiltrate and take down a crime syndicate makes this at least plausible. Thoughts?
I'd say Crime, Action, Thriller is more plausible than IMDB's Action/Adventure/Thriller classification.

Welcome to the human race...
How does one define a "crime" film, anyway? I'm reminded of a line that Goldfinger has when explaining his master plan where he says something about how man has done incredible achievements in every field "except crime" - that makes me wonder whether this renders all Bond films as crime films by default.

Also answers to Jabba
I wonder if I can do this twice?
🤔
About a month ago I started using films for last year's challenge so technically you could say that I am doing it 1.5 times this year. In my 'Leftovers' section, films are divided into bold and italics, with the former being truly left over, while the latter are utilized in 2021's list.

The trick is not minding
About a month ago I started using films for last year's challenge so technically you could say that I am doing it 1.5 times this year. In my 'Leftovers' section, films are divided into bold and italics, with the former being truly left over, while the latter are utilized in 2021's list.
I might try.

I can easily watch over 350 movies (this challenge alone , done twice, is 324) with many fitting into the categories.

Chekhov, Method or Meisner?
watch 10 films featuring the same actor

Errol Flynn
  1. Too Much Too Soon (1958)
  2. The Big Boodle (1957)
  3. Kim (1951)
  4. Cry Wolf (1947)
  5. Objective Burma (1945)
  6. Desperate Journey (1942)
  7. They Died with Their Boots On (1941)
  8. Santa Fe Trail (1940)
  9. Dodge City (1939)
  10. The Dawn Patrol (1938)

I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director
Ridley Scott

1. House of Gucci (2021)
  2. The Last Duel (2021)
  3. Legend (1985)
  4. Black Rain (1989)
  5. Thelma and Louise (1991)
  6. Gladiator (2000)
  7. Matchstick Men (2003)
  8. The Counselor (2013)
  9. The Martian (2015)
  10. The Duelists (1977)

H. We've met before, haven't we?
[Pick one of the following country groups and watch 5 films from its members, without repetitions]

3. Former British Colonies

Australia - Back Track (2015)
Canada - Camp Death III in 2D! (2018)
New Zealand - Power of the Dog (2021)
South Africa - Moffie (2021)
United States - Good Morning Vietnam (1989)

The trick is not minding
Update: 6/2!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

I thought I'd give you an update as of May 25:

Main Challenge  

You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Paris?
watch 10 foreign language films
1. The Suspect (2013), Korean
2. Memoir of a Murderer (2017), Korean
3. The Battle: Roar to Victory (2019), Korean
4. The Summit of the Gods (2021), French
5. Metal Skin Panic Madox-01 (1987), Japanese
6. The Terrible People (1960), German
7. The Forger of London (1961), German
8. The White Spider (1963), German
9. The Sinister Monk (1965), German
10. Room 13 (1964), German

That's only 4 different languages, last year I had a lot more variety. So this list will probably be shuffled around before it's over.

I'll be sure to keep you all informed about any changes, so that you can update your files accordingly.

G. Background to the forefront:
[Watch one film featuring each of the following types of settings]
1. a film predominantly set in a single location - Devil Times Five (1974)
2. a film taking place in a military setting during war - The Battle of the River Plate (1956)
3. a film set in a small town or village - Gentle Savage (1973)
4. a film set in a chaotic metropolis - The Last Days of Disco (1998)
5. a film set in the wilderness - The Cry of the Black Wolves (1972)
6. a film set in an extraterrestrial world - Pinocchio in Outer Space (1965)

I swear that last one is a real film that I did not make up.

Everybody's seen Pinocchio In Outer Space

Funny that he finds himself in the belly of a whale for the second time in his life. That seems like an inordinate number of whale belly incidents for one person.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And of this Ship Date, Timestamp, my progress. . .

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Funny that he finds himself in the belly of a whale for the second time in his life. That seems like an inordinate number of whale belly incidents for one person.
It's more of a Summer Home at this point, really.