Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

Seriously? The first book is literally a how to manual on putting someone into a coma. I would expect nothing less but the same of a movie made from that source material.
I only managed to trudge one-third of the book before seeing the film, but up to that, I find it very hard to disagree.

A system of cells interlinked
Dune is an excellent book. If I recall, it sits at the top of many "best of all time" sci-fi book lists. That is a bit high for me, and I would put quite a few other books above it, but the fact remains that it is a seminal classic, and clearly influential on many other science fiction works, such as Star Wars.

But as I said, different strokes for different folks.

Film rules, also.

It's been a decade or so since I read it, but I remember finding it easy enough to get through? Much breezier than, say, LOTR.

It's been a decade or so since I read it, but I remember finding it easy enough to get through? Much breezier than, say, LOTR.

It is much easier the 2nd or 3rd time through. When you know what the Spacing Guild is and who the Bene Gesserit are etc., it is easier to ease into the story telling. The first book is really good at world-building, but it is a little overwhelming the first time around.