Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Tangerines (2013)

Dir.: Zaza Urushadze

This is superb. It's a tale of an Estonian man who stays in war torn Georgia while his family goes back to their homeland. Based in 1992. The man continues to try and set up a business selling tangerines, but gets visited by 2 factions of the warring sides which spirals into a whole new situation - and to say anymore would spoil the film. But the ending is earth shatteringly beautiful.

9/10

I'm glad the knowledge of this movie is spread.
It is a Superb film, just an example how good cinema can be made with a handful of funds.

I've seen it twice and it is probably time for the third watch.

Victim of The Night
I liked Spider Baby a bit more. I kinda get why the two seem to be mentioned together, though. My complaint about the lack of obnoxiousness is also shared by both movies (even though Girly isn't as family-friendly as Spider Baby).
When you say "obnoxiousness" like what in Spider Baby would have been "more obnoxious"?

Victim of The Night
Conversely, there's one disaster film packed with stars that was meant to be serious and that I think is absolutely hilarious :

A classic, to be sure.
When I was growing up, all these low-budget Eco-horrors were always the thing. Empire Of The Ants in the theater, baby!

The Hard Eight (1996)

Kinda wants to look hard-boiled but isn't really drama. Good enough story that has most of PTAs traits that will flower in his later films. Two main problem only, Clementine....just ridiculous. And Jimmy's trust in Sydney when he has already outed him as a bad-ass.

The Lives of a Bengal Lancer - 1935 narrative directed by Henry Hathaway and starring Gary Cooper. He plays Lt. Alan McGregor, a British cavalryman with the 41st Bengal Lancers, stationed in the Northwest Indian province of Bengal. As the films opens he is sent to meet two replacements for fellow soldiers killed in action, Lieutenant John Forsythe (Franchot Tone) and Lieutenant Donald Stone (Richard Cromwell). Donald is fresh out of military school and the son of the unit's commander, Colonel Tom Stone (Guy Standing). He assumes that his father has requested for him to serve his first ever tour under him but is crestfallen when he learns otherwise.

His father has a lifetime of military service behind him and knows full well that he cannot show favoritism towards anyone. Having his own issues with Colonel Stone, McGregor takes the inexperienced young officer under his wing. Forsythe, in the meantime, takes delight in teasing McGregor on his "mother hen" tendencies and the two develop a bit of a rivalry.

While all this is happening a local chieftain, Mohammed Khan (Douglas Dumbrille), is working to foment an uprising against their British overlords. He works behind the scenes to get his hands on a large shipment of ammunition and weapons. There's plenty of machinations on both sides, with each knowing the others intentions but both short on details. Spies are employed, plans are put into place and steps are taken. The chess moves and gambits result in a final confrontation featuring the usual derring-do, heroism and sacrifice. This earns a place in the pantheon of roguish, adventure yarns like Gunga Din, Beau Geste and The Man Who Would Be King.

90/100

The Fallout (2021) This was really powerful, heartbreaking and beautiful. Jenna Ortega is fantastic here and the rest of the cast are very good too. Exceptionally well directed by Megan Park.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Very nice commentary! If you haven't seen it, The High and the Mighty (1954) was the granddaddy of airplane disaster films, and I think you'd like it.

It starred John Wayne, Robert Stack, Claire Trevor, and a handful of other names. I loved the film when it came out, although it's pretty tame today. It did have a very popular theme song with a very catchy whistling motif. I still whistle it today once in awhile!

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't seen that movie. I added it to my watchlist, (but it will have to wait until after I finish my list for the comedy countdown).

I am learning Spanish with Pedro Almodóvar, this is the 6th movie of his that I watched, it was good but below the level of most other of his movies:
I consider it among his absolute best (alongside Talk to Her and Pain & Glory)

The Bad Guys

This movie was so much fun. From start to finish, the movie has so many laugh out loud moments which are both hilarious and clever. The animation style is slick, and I'm hoping this is the direction which animation movies will continue going along in the future. The voice acting cast did a great job, as did the animators and everyone else involved with this project. If your looking for something light and easy to watch, which will keep you entertained throughout, give this gem a chance.

4/5 stars

I forgot the opening line.

By CineMaterial, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=59741153

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - (2018)

I had a very hard time rating The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (as a matter of fact, I haven't...yet.) Now, I don't mind anthology movies, but I find them difficult to rate as a whole because of the varying degree of enjoyment I get from each part. I didn't uniformly love every segment of this film - but the first (which provides the film's overall title) and "The Gal Who Got Rattled" were fantastic. I think overall, it's an eminently rewatchable film, and has that mythical aura about the West that only the Coen bros can duplicate. It's low points are going to grate on me though, every time I see it. That kind of thing doesn't happen with films that are a singular story in themselves. Overall, the high points in this film do a lot to make it worth seeing.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

By CineMaterial, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=59741153

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - (2018)
I saw it couple of years ago when it received some Oscar Nominations. I'm a huge fan of anthology films and I remember that I was very satisfied by this one.
(8/10)

'On the Silver Globe' (1988)

Directed by Andrej Zulawski

Full of energetic philosophy, religious undertones and intellectual dialogue. The plot: Astronauts land on a planet and recreate a new civilization and are then treated like gods. The film includes half human bird like militia, a batmobile like vehicle chasing one of the astronauts up a mountain, graphic gory crucifictions on a beach, a woman dying in childbirth and the list goes on. It's an adaptation of a trilogy of works written in 1901.

It's one of the most batshit crazy films I've seen and yet was never completed (shut down by the Polish authorities) - instead the restored version contains a good few scenes of the director Andrej Zulawski narrating the missing parts of the screenplay over what looks like footage of modern day Warsaw.

The visuals are stunning - bathed in blue hues with eerie costume design and face paints. The tone is creepy but beautiful and must have inspired the likes of Terry Gilliam and the novel that 'Hard to be a God' is based on. The film is difficult to follow and feels like what Jodorowsky's Dune may have felt like. It is a hugely challenging film, and raises more questions than answers. But it feels like the Director is asking the viewer to ask ourselves about the entire existence of the human race and our planet, what makes humans what they are, does our society need religion, violence and misery etc etc - and he does it successfully as it's such an intriguing, beguiling film. Not many do that.

I really hate doing these mass ratings dumps, it’s just that I keep getting wrapped up randomly and build up to large of a backlog to realistically go through movie-by-movie (this week was a combination of Mother’s Day, my parent’s visiting, my landlord / mother-in-law coming over to meet with contractors and my kid having a doctor’s appointment).

Rewatches:
There were a lot of rewatches this week for various reasons: Star Wars for May 4, a bunch for Cinco de Mayo, a Resident Evil marathon before we get rid of HBO Max / Hulu, continuing our slow-roll MCU marathon. Even though a lot of individual Resident Evil movies aren’t very good, the franchise as a whole is a lot more fun than the individual installments (kind of like The Fast and the Furious and Lethal Weapon).

I’m increasingly frustrated about having to stick to my spouse’s schedule for our MCU rewatch, since we’re only averaging one every week or so (and given what things look like coming up, we’re probably going to go well into next year with this). On my own, I would have leisurely knocked these movies out once-per-day in about a month (the original plan was to finish April 12)

Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope (1977)

Airheads (1994)

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

Desperado (1995)

The Mask of Zorro (1998)
x2
Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace (1999)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016)

Coco (2017)

Encanto (2021)

My Little Pony: A New Generation (2021)

The Last Days of HBO Max / Hulu:
We got HBO Max only because my partner*REALLY wanted to watch*The Batman (I was… less enthusiastic about the prospect, let’s say), but now it (and Hulu) are expiring on us and there’s just not enough to keep us interested in continuing to pay out for them. *So we decided to watch a bunch of odds-and-ends that we still hadn’t seen on the streaming services (which, in retrospect, I could have done just as well without having seen most of them). *Romancing the Stone was really fun, though, and*Kimi felt a lot like my personal post-lockdown experiences.

The Dark Crystal (1982)

Krull (1983)

Romancing the Stone (1984)

Red Sonja (1985)

Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)

Mary Reilly (1996)

Constantine (2005)

Jonah Hex (2010)

Super 8 (2011)

The Legend of Hercules (2014)

Early Man (2018)

The Witches (2020)

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021)

Kimi (2022)

Misc:
Normally my movie-viewing skews older and more global, but because of a lot of the rewatches / HBO MAX death racing this month, it was mostly contemporary and mostly domestic in focus. Things’ll improve in the second half of the month, though, when we lose HBO Max / Hulu and I’ll go back to marathoning Italian Neorealism / French New Wave / Berlanga movies.

*The Bank Dick (1940)

Super Mario Brothers: Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach (1986)

US Marshals (1998)

Rambo (2008)

The Spirit (2008)

Rambo: Last Blood (2019)

House of Gucci (2021)

Sing 2 (2021)

Ambulance (2022)

The Legend of La Llorona (2022)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Room 203 (Ben Jagger, 2022)
- 5/10
The Takedown (Louis Leterrier, 2022)
6/10
Miami Connection (Park Woo Sang, 1987)
- 5/10 Camp Rating 8/10
Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924)
6.5/10 Reconstructed 239m

Ironic conclusion of the silent epic.
Rituals (Peter Carter, 1977)
6/10
The Adventures of Maid Marian (Bill Thomas, 2022)
- 5/10
Pterodactyl (Mark L. Lester, 2005)
4/10
The Green Years (Victor Saville, 1946)
6.5/10

Young Dean Stockwell, a surprisingly-good young scientist, i supported by his drunken grandfather Charles Coburn in everything he does.
Black Site (Sophia Banks, 2022)
5/10
You've Never Been Completely Honest (Joey Izzo, 2022)
6.5/10
Fortress: Sniper's Eye (Josh Sternfeld, 2022)
4/10
Pride and Prejudice (Robert Z. Leonard, 1940)
6.5/10

Elizabeth Bennet (Greer Garson) and Mr. Darcy (Laurence Olivier) finally confess their attraction to each other.
Jurassic Predator: Xtinction (Amir Valinia, 2014)
4/10
The Bad Guys (Pierre Perifel, 2022)
+ 6.5/10
DC Showcase: Constantine - The House of Mystery (Matt Peters, 2022)
6/10
The Diary of Anne Frank (George Stevens, 1959)
6.5/10

Anne Frank's sister (Diane Baker), the son (Richard Beymer) of neighbor Shelley Winters and Mr. Frank (Joseph Schildkraut) discuss Anne (Millie Perkins).
Escape the Field (Emerson Moore, 2022)
5/10
The Sea of Grass (Elia Kazan, 1947)
5.5/10
Hostile Territory (Brian Presley, 2022)
5/10
Hamlet (Laurence Olivier, 1948)
7/10

Prince Hamlet (Laurence Olivier) expresses his contradictory thoughts on everything, especially his betrothed Ophelia (Jean Simmons).

13 Fanboy (1/10)

I found Dee Wallace's performance hilarious. Not sure that's what they were going for, but it did entertain slightly.

Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924)
6.5/10 Reconstructed 239m

Ironic conclusion of the silent epic.
[/b]
Saw this many years ago, never been able to get that ending out of my head.