The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

But if I have seen a nom recently like Midnight Cowboy that's also a plus because then I can skip watching it saving me some workload...so it's all good!
Yeah, that's another good point. Somebody could say "I don't want to watch Jaws for the 12th time", but if the film's still fresh in your head, you don't even need to watch it. Just skip it and, if you have time to check it out at the end and if you're in the mood, give it a go. For instance, I watched Jaws twice in the past 12 months, so I didn't rewatch it for this thread and just went straight to writing my review of it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I won't be in the next main Hall, but for the one after that, I'm going to nominate something I don't think many people have seen as well. I have a few films in mind for what I'll pick.
You will be missed and always a pleasure when you do. Looking forward to what that final decision becomes.

Yeah, that's another good point. Somebody could say something like "I don't want to watch Jaws for the 12th time", but if the film's still fresh in your head, you don't even need to watch it. Just skip it and, if you have time to check it out at the end and you're in the mood, give it a go. For instance, I watched Jaws twice in the past 12 months, so I didn't rewatch it for this thread and just went straight to writing my review of it.
Yup, no need for you to have rewatch Jaws again (unless you wanted to).

For me I had only seen Raiders twice, and the last time was 20 years ago! So for me it felt like a first time watch. Jaws, I had seen it like 4 times but the last time was over 5 years ago and so I didn't remember many of the finer details and aspects and enjoyed watching it again.

BTW, I also want to apologize for 1) not being more active in the thread discussions, and 2) for cutting it so close to the deadline. I think I started fairly well, but last month was particularly hectic in pretty much every front from me; from work and family to all the podcast stuff I'm doing. Anyway, I think I managed to read most/all the reviews written and enjoyed most of your thoughts.

And in case I hadn't mentioned it before, I didn't *hate* any film. The one I ranked the lowest might've been a bit of a chore, but I still appreciated it and can acknowledge that at a different moment with a different mindset, I might appreciate it more.
Not to mention Hosting a Countdown for chrissake lol A monumental endeavor in its own right.

And like you there was no "hate" for any given film but some wonderful surprises instead.

I enjoy discovering hidden gems and revisting favourites and classics, so I agree there is value to both types of nominations. For the next hall, I’m going to make my own film and then nominate it! 🤓

My Dog Skip (2000)

Narrator: Old Skip was 11, and feeble with arthritis, but he never lost that old devilish look in his eye. He made my room his own. Came across an old photo of him not long ago. His little face, with the long snout sniffing at something in the air. His tail was straight out, pointing. Eyes were flashing in some momentary excitement. He always loved to be rubbed on the back of his neck. And when I did it, he'd yawn and he'd stretch, reach out to me with his paws as if he was trying to embrace me. I received a transatlantic call one day. "Skip died," Daddy said. He and my mama wrapped him in my baseball jacket. "They buried him out under our elm tree," they said. That wasn't totally true. For he really lay buried in my heart.

Narrator: Like all dogs, Skip was colorblind. He made friends easily with people of all races and origins. The town was segregated back then, but as we know, dogs are a whole lot smarter than people.

In the reviews for this film, a common thread is the "obviousness" of emotional manipulation. Which, having seen it, is a valid critique. And yet, at the same time, emotional manipulation IS the nature of the beast when it comes to Family Films Centering Around Beloved Pets.
Now, the obviousness DOES detract from what should and could be a Happy Memory that tugs at the heartstrings.
Though I must also concur that the obviousness did help to watch a tearjerker I was in no way looking forward to seeing.

I enjoyed Diane Lane and Kevin Bacon's characters and found myself growing nostalgic for Frankie Muniz's Malcolm in the Middle TV Series watching this. And, of course, the central actor(s), the six Jack Russell terriers playing Skip, was the highlight for me.

I enjoy discovering hidden gems and revisting favourites and classics, so I agree there is value to both types of nominations. For the next hall, I’m going to make my own film and then nominate it! 🤓
I've already seen your film. It was alright, it just needed more blood and gore.

Dolores Claiborne (1995)

The repeated line, "Sometimes, being a b#tch is all a woman has to hold onto," is an almost complete Review Description all on its own.

Kathy Bates runs the full gambit of emotional hardships from a deceased alcoholic, abusive husband (David Strathairn). Add an emotionally fragmented daughter (Jennifer Jason Leigh) mistakingly blaming her and the eventual realization of what truly happened in her childhood regarding the events leading up to her father's "accidental" death.
Too emotionally beaten to give a godd@mn about the dogged pursuit of Detective (Christopher Plummer), along with a seaside town that continually harasses and condemns her. We discover what is beneath the veneer of shared belief to the full details of the past family life and the twenty years of employment to the wealthy, callous widow whose suspicious suicide is the initial catalyst of this Stephen King adaption.

Even though some of the color schemes on occasion did falter a little, it remains a solid pulling away of the layers storyline with a strong cast that kept me engaged to the very end.

Ed, you're late. The deadline was two days ago

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Inspired by the 50's serials of Speilbergs youth and his inability to do his own James Bond film we get one of the great franchises of our time. Raiders of the Lost ark tells the story on Indiana Jones a college professor in the 1930's who goes on adventures to find treasures for museums.

Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, and Paul Freeman star are Jones, Marion Ravenwood (a bar owner and former lover) and Rene Ballocq a frenchman employed by the Nazis and Indy's main rival. Everytime I watch this film I try and focus on a different character and Freeman is so good in this. He matches a degree of charm and evil that you sort of end up rooting for him...until he combusts in a massive fireball.

But the charm of Raiders is it's 15-20 minute action sequences that are perfectly paced and put together. The film covers so much but has practically no filler or exposition if you have ADD it's the perfect film for you. Visually I love the look of the film, it's expertly shot with practical effects yet each scene is still given proper composition. Every scene has a bit of humor in it and the jokes are earned.

One of my favorite bits. Also it should be said how great the casting was in a film like this. You've got three actors that aren't really stars so they play the roles to perfection (something a certain Crystal Skulls should have learned from). You believe Ernst is a real wormy Gestapo Nazi because he looks like one and you haven't seen that actor in a bunch of other films. Quality casting a lost art.

You missed this review Ed

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I actually have made my own film. It was fun.

You missed a bunch of mine as well. Let me know if you want me to quote or link them for you. Most were posted during last week.

Ed, you're late. The deadline was two days ago
Host Privilege: aka Blatant Misuse of Power lol

and yes, PLEASE do, in whatever form works for you and I'll get them on the front page.
THANKS

Host Privilege: aka Blatant Misuse of Power lol

and yes, PLEASE do, in whatever form works for you and I'll get them on the front page.
THANKS
Here are the ones you're missing...

The Secret of Roan Inish
True Romance
Mad Love
Apocalypse Now
Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Thanks!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
12 of my 16 reviews are listed, but I did send in my votes lol.

Suspect's Reviews