The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Jaws (1975)

I love this movie, I like how Hooper is written, he's obnoxious at times but not evil. I like how Quint is flawed, crazy but is always respectful towards Brody and antagonistic towards Hooper. Finally he comes to terms with Hooper at the end and decides to maybe try the technology, I love the humor in the film and the one liners. And I love how the film is cast so that nobody looks/acts like a movie star. It's all character actors and normal people...a number of best pictures could learn from that.
And another Amen

@Allaby, @Citizen Rules, @jiraffejustin, @Miss Vicky, @pahaK, @PHOENIX74, @Siddon, @SpelingError, @Takoma11, @Thief, @TheUsualSuspect, @Torgo, @ueno_station54

and ESPECIALLY @cricket and @CosmicRunaway for me somehow deleting them when removing "Nomination Sent" when I copied the list from the front page -- SORRY!!

As we draw to a close of yet another prolific set of iconic, newfound gems and an assortment of surprises, the Staff wished to come out and express their thanks to you, the--

What? Yeah. Well --

Okay, fine, look, that ain't them.

Anyway, they wanted to thank ya all fer comin' out and hangin' out

Especially Larry.
He's shy, but he means well.

Aw crap!
Alrighty, firstly: fixed

and ESPECIALLY @cricket and @CosmicRunaway for me somehow deleting them when removing "Nomination Sent" when I copied the list from the front page -- SORRY!!

As we draw to a close of yet another prolific set of

Secondly,
Thanks so much Ed for hosting. This was an enjoyable Hall.
D@mn honored and very glad to have ya, speling!
thanks Ed and thanks to everyone who participated. i haven't been in many of these but this was probably the best one yet
That is all kinds of kind, THANK YOU ueno! I kinda feel the same regarding your nomination this time around. It's been the best for me and curious to see others.

Yes, this was a great hall, filled with fun, excitement, happiness, thrills, and true love! Thanks for hosting, Ed. You are a superstar, a scholar, and a gentleman!

Yes, thank you for an interesting collection of films, everyone. It made for a splendidly odd marathon.

And thank you for hosting, Ed.
"splendidly odd" how so very wonderfully true.
Thank YOU for being a part of it.
Yes, this was a great hall, filled with fun, excitement, happiness, thrills, and true love! Thanks for hosting, Ed. You are a superstar, a scholar, and a gentleman!
From one superstar, scholar, and gentleman, to another -- SOO very glad to have you!

Thanks, Ed! Some great choices from everybody.

As for me, will try to churn out those final two reviews before Ed drops the axe.

MAGICAL GIRL
(2014, Vermut)

"And what are bullfights? The representation of the struggle between instinct and technique, between emotion and reason. We must accept our instincts and to learn to struggle with them as if they were a bull, so that they do not destroy us."

There is indeed an interesting contrast between the finesse and technique of a bullfighter, and the relentless and angry bull that charges at him with nothing more than instinct. The bullfighter dances, the bull lunges. More often than not, the bullfighter succeeds in avoiding the attacks of the bull. But sometimes... the technique, the finesse, the reason fails, and the instinct that we tried so hard to dance around and toy with succeeds in destroying us. That is a snapshot of what happens to most of the characters in this Spanish film

Magical Girl follows three separate characters, each with different instincts, emotions, and struggles. There is Luis (Luis Bermejo), the unemployed teacher that is determined to buy an expensive anime dress for her terminally ill daughter. Then there is Bárbara (Bárbara Lennie), the mysterious and enigmatic woman that seems to be recovering from something while trapped in a problematic marriage. Finally, we have Damián (José Sacristán), a former teacher that seems to be suffering the consequences of letting his instincts take over.

The film presents the three storylines separately, but eventually converges them in a tragic collision course where reason fails and instincts succeed. Directed and written by Carlos Vermut, he uses a cold and distant approach to the camera, but does so with undeniable skill. There is a careful selection of what to show, when to show it, and how to show it, which heightens the tension and builds the atmosphere of dread that surrounds every character, where you're sure no one will probably succeed.

Much like the bullfighter, Vermut uses his technique to dance around certain moments on the film while toying with certain revelations. The restraint he shows to avoid the desire to explain too much or show too much is impressive. This is the first film of his I've seen, but I'm sure I will try to check out more of his work.

Grade:

I forgot the opening line.
It's OVER!

There was no winner. That's odd, and nobody is even commenting on how odd that is so I guess I'm missing something. Anyhow, thankyou Ed for hosting this incredible, extraordinary and phenomenal Hall of Fame!

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Mad Love (1985)

Poetry meets pretense and vulgarity in Mad Love the "story" of a group of bank robbers who also get with a hooker. Although who can really tell or track what is going on with this film. It was like giants pieces of dialogue character development and plot were removed and all the scenes where just jumbled together. Rarely is a nominee filled with this mush of an unpleasurable experience.

I'm not surprised that this film doesn't have a wide release or is readily available because the movie feels like an incomplete trailer of a better coherent film. You know my selection(My Dog Skip) has a dishonest narrator but that film used nuance...this film is bereft of any sort of nuance. You could look at the film as post modern art or you could see it as unwatchable garbage, the product of self indulgent film making that made a choice not to tell a coherent story but to show how clever and edgy they could be.