Wooley's Halfway To Halloween III

Tools    

No shit? I see a theme developing here. Maybe I should watch A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge.
In all seriousness, watch it, then watch the documentary Scream, Queen! about the actor who starred in it and the way that the gay subtext was pinned on the actor as something he did to "ruin" the movie, only to then later be claimed by the writer as something he did to be progressive.

This person... does their name rhyme with Pulley?
You're getting dangerously close to naming one who was deemed to be otherwise!

You'll have to watch The Prey for penance.

Victim of The Night
In all seriousness, watch it, then watch the documentary Scream, Queen! about the actor who starred in it and the way that the gay subtext was pinned on the actor as something he did to "ruin" the movie, only to then later be claimed by the writer as something he did to be progressive.
You mean aNoES2?
If so, yeah, I've seen the movie many times, I actually really liked it when I was a kid and still have a fondness for it.
I have also followed the the whole story of the sexuality of the movie and, unfortunately, Mark Patton's plight. And yeah, I thought it was funny how it suddenly became a "progressive" idea when it was convenient to the culture.
I honestly never saw what the big deal was. I mean, doesn't he meet the coach at a gay leather-bar? So it's not like the sexuality in that film was subtle, even when I was 13.

I second the nomination of Screen Queen. Shudder has been putting out some very solid horror documentary work.

I honestly never saw what the big deal was. I mean, doesn't he meet the coach at a gay leather-bar? So it's not like the sexuality in that film was subtle, even when I was 13.
It's almost more about the character being effeminate (aka more akin to a "final girl") than about him being gay, if that makes sense.

The documentary gets into some really interesting dynamics that took place both during and after filming.

Victim of The Night
It's almost more about the character being effeminate (aka more akin to a "final girl") than about him being gay, if that makes sense.

The documentary gets into some really interesting dynamics that took place both during and after filming.
Yeah, I had read about that. I just don't know why that was problematic for some people. Honestly, as a 13 year old, it was lost on me, but there was always something haunting to me how this male lead was also the real victim of the film and how it all ends up... I thought it was effective. Different and effective. I don't know why flipping that role should have mattered so much.
I got why he feels it did because it scuttled his career and people tried to shame him and shit. I just don't understand why it was an issue in the first place.

Victim of The Night
Hey, looks like we may have stalled for a bit, imgur is having some kind of problem. I'm trying to post the next write-up and I can't use the images. If they don't fix it tomorrow I'll find another site to use.
Thank you for your patience.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hey, looks like we may have stalled for a bit, imgur is having some kind of problem. I'm trying to post the next write-up and I can't use the images. If they don't fix it tomorrow I'll find another site to use.
Thank you for your patience.

You can upload your images directly to MoFo.

After you click on "Reply to Topic", (or the "Reply w/Quote" button), scroll down below the Reply box, and click on the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options" box.

You will get a pop-up box to Upload the images, and then you can insert them into your post using the the "Insert Images" button in the Reply menu.

Victim of The Night

A cruise ship on the last voyage of its captain (Kennedy) is rammed by a mysterious black freighter leaving a small group alive on a life-raft. They encounter the freighter and board it but it is abandoned. Something weird completely fails to chill the blood but happens anyway with a crane and Saul Rubinek drowns or something. Paint dries. Something weird that I didn’t quite understand happens to this one lady’s face and she dies. Crickets chirp. George Kennedy starts hearing voices. Then there’s this one crazy scene of this woman in the shower getting sprayed with blood instead of water, screaming and spinning and flailing around, boobs bouncin’ all over the place and the movie just keeps going back to it and lingering over it, not because it’s sexy, it’s not at all, she’s literally covered in blood, but it’s certainly exciting compared to the entire rest of the movie.

Then some George Kennedy something kind of happens for like the last 20 minutes and the movie ends with a sigh.

Wow. Does this suck.
What an utterly joyless, dull, drab, unimaginative, piece-of-shit film. Not even George Kennedy can save it.
Virtually nothing happens. I mean, aside from the naked lady covered in blood spinning like that shower’s actually a blender. This movie is shockingly boring. It seems to have built a whole new level of boring to explore. And then it actually kinda shuffles around the level and shrugs. There is no action, there is no drama, there is no tension… there’s just nothing. And it looks like crap. Really, the whole production feels like a made-for-TV movie and not a very good one. Were it not for naked blender-lady I would have sworn it was.
Gughh, what poor film.
And Wikipedia calls this a “cult classic”? How are we defining that phrase these days? Is there some cult of people who like genuine crap?

Victim of The Night
You can upload your images directly to MoFo.

After you click on "Reply to Topic", (or the "Reply w/Quote" button), scroll down below the Reply box, and click on the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options" box.

You will get a pop-up box to Upload the images, and then you can insert them into your post using the the "Insert Images" button in the Reply menu.
Thanks a lot, I'll try that next time. Imgur suddenly found enough room in its "capacity" for me to finish editing those two.

Death Ship is fine. It has loads of atmosphere, it uses the confines of the ship really well, the moments of horror are suitably disorienting and inexplicable. Its production values are obviously limited, and it does look like something that could have been made for Canadian television in the 80's, but I think overall its pretty effective considering on paper there is nothing much to it.

Victim of The Night
Death Ship is fine. It has loads of atmosphere, it uses the confines of the ship really well, the moments of horror are suitably disorienting and inexplicable. Its production values are obviously limited, and it does look like something that could have been made for Canadian television in the 80's, but I think overall its pretty effective considering on paper there is nothing much to it.
I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully disagree.

First Prom Night. Now Death Ship. I feel there may some sort of ingrained bias against ponderous, low-budget Canuck horror films going on here.

I can't even imagine the prejudicial despair something like Things might sink you into. I suspect complaints that the whole movie is just two knob heads sitting in a kitchen drinking beer and putting their jackets in a freezer. And I'd have to jump in and remind you about the scene where they eat a sandwich in the living room and STILL this would not be enough to convince you to think otherwise.

putting their jackets

It's to keep them nice and cool.

Also, didn't the one guy put a bug in the other guy's sandwich?

Things is the best Canadian film. I recently forced some friends to watch it and one of them said "this is like the cave drawings of movies."

Art.

Victim of The Night
First Prom Night. Now Death Ship. I feel there may some sort of ingrained bias against ponderous, low-budget Canuck horror films going on here.

I can't even imagine the prejudicial despair something like Things might sink you into. I suspect complaints that the whole movie is just two knob heads sitting in a kitchen drinking beer and putting their jackets in a freezer. And I'd have to jump in and remind you about the scene where they eat a sandwich in the living room and STILL this would not be enough to convince you to think otherwise.
Hey I softened on Prom Night. It may take almost an hour for anything to happen in that movie but at least something finally does. Not so, Death Ship.

And honestly, I just liked The Strangeness and didn't mind The Being, so let's be honest, we know I can stretch pretty low. But, yes, Things sounds like it might be Death Ship levels of boring minus the spinning boob-lady.

Things is the best Canadian film. I recently forced some friends to watch it and one of them said "this is like the cave drawings of movies."

Art.
Did you bug in their sandwiches when they weren't looking?