Recommend me novels: horror, sci-fi, thriller

Tools    

I've read all the Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Max Brooks and Joe Hill books. I've read The Expanse (everyone should read The Expanse). I've read LOTR and Song of Ice and Fire. Recently I read Station Eleven and a couple other post-apocalyptic thrillers.

I need some new stuff, preferably sci-fi or horror (not Ketchum though, he's too gross). Thanks!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sci/Fi : Project Hail Mary

Dead Silence is sci/fi and horror. It's a great premise but okay book.

The Only Good Indians is an interesting take on Folklore

(not Ketchum though, he's too gross).
He IS gross! Thank you for validating this opinion!

I'm pretty sure you've read The Troop and The Ruins, right?

I also really recently enjoyed Vida Nostra, which is like dark fantasy horror.

I'm also gonna throw Bears Discover Fire out there. It is a short story anthology.

Have you read The White People by Arthur Machen?

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
The Sundial - Shirley Jackson

Outside of short fiction, which would mostly be Poe, Lovecraft and more Shirley Jackson, I'm left extremely cold by nearly all horror fiction.

The Hellbound Heart and Books of Blood volumes I and II by Clive Barker

The Sound of Building Coffins by Louis Maistros
Let the Right One In and Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Blindsight by Peter Watts
Gateways to Abomination: Collected Short Fiction by Matthew M. Bartlett
Between Two Fires and The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman
The Descent and Deeper by Jeff Long

The Hellbound Heart and Books of Blood volumes I and II by Clive Barker
I second this. Clive Barker is amazing, very imaginative and The Books of Blood are some of the best horror I've ever read.

Although they're more dark fantasy than horror you should also check out Cabal and Imajica.

Thanks for the recs so far everyone! I haven't read any of these and most of them are at least being wish listed. But not gonna lie Project Hail Mary is probably at the top of the pile because I loved The Martian novel.

Keep 'em coming if you got 'em and I'll post my thoughts on the ones I read in here.

I finished The Troop last night and it was a GRUESOME ****ing book. I asked for horror and I got it. Unfortunately I didn’t really like it overall, mainly because I didn’t like the characters. Scoutmaster Tim was probably my favorite but he’s not in it much. Out of the five kids, four were terrible and one had very little character development. I’m wondering if the author did this on purpose to make it more palatable if one of them dies. There were a couple terrific sequences toward the end that almost make up for a pretty lackluster book. Sorry @Takoma11.

I didn’t know Nick Cutter also wrote The Deep, which I’ve had my eye on for a while but never pulled the trigger because of mixed reviews, so if anyone read The Deep lmk how it is.

Up next Project Hail Mary.

I finished The Troop last night and it was a GRUESOME ****ing book. I asked for horror and I got it. Unfortunately I didn’t really like it overall, mainly because I didn’t like the characters. Scoutmaster Tim was probably my favorite but he’s not in it much. Out of the five kids, four were terrible and one had very little character development. I’m wondering if the author did this on purpose to make it more palatable if one of them dies. There were a couple terrific sequences toward the end that almost make up for a pretty lackluster book. Sorry @Takoma11.

I didn’t know Nick Cutter also wrote The Deep, which I’ve had my eye on for a while but never pulled the trigger because of mixed reviews, so if anyone read The Deep lmk how it is.

No worries. The gruesomeness of it was what lingered in my mind.

I realized that in my original post I managed to miss out probably one of my favorite horror books: Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow. It's a werewolf story told in free verse (but don't worry, it reads more like prose than poetry). It's also just a really cool story about a person reinventing themselves, and it does things with the werewolf mythology that I absolutely loved. I've read it two or three times and I love it more each time I read it. It's also a book you can read in two or three sittings.

I hope you're enjoying Project Hail Mary!

No worries. The gruesomeness of it was what lingered in my mind.

I realized that in my original post I managed to miss out probably one of my favorite horror books: Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow. It's a werewolf story told in free verse (but don't worry, it reads more like prose than poetry). It's also just a really cool story about a person reinventing themselves, and it does things with the werewolf mythology that I absolutely loved. I've read it two or three times and I love it more each time I read it. It's also a book you can read in two or three sittings.

I hope you're enjoying Project Hail Mary!
Thanks for the rec. I’ll add it to the list.

Only three chapters into Project Hail Mary but I like it a lot so far. It’s familiar enough to be a cozy read but different enough to not feel like I’m just reading The Martian again.

I finished Project Hail Mary and loved it. At first I wasn’t on board with the introduction of

WARNING: spoilers below
aliens but learning about that race was very interesting and I loved Rocky. He was such a good boy. I’d love a sequel about how close to extinction Earth got before the beetles made it back, implementing xenonite and Astrophage into our technologies, and then studying Erid from afar and maybe sending an ambassador to make contact.

It’s a lot more science fictiony than The Martian and there’s some plot conveniences but overall it was great.

I finished Devolution. Terrible name, can never remember it. Started off slow but loved the ramp up and the pacing once it got going. It’s got kind of that same problem as found footage movies though of like, “why are you still shooting during this emergency?” Because the main character continues journaling throughout. But otherwise I liked it, especially since there isn’t a lot of good Bigfoot horror out there.

Starting The Hellbound Heart tonight. I hope it has such sights to show me.

I finished Project Hail Mary and loved it. At first I wasn’t on board with the introduction of

WARNING: spoilers below
aliens but learning about that race was very interesting and I loved Rocky. He was such a good boy. I’d love a sequel about how close to extinction Earth got before the beetles made it back, implementing xenonite and Astrophage into our technologies, and then studying Erid from afar and maybe sending an ambassador to make contact.

It’s a lot more science fictiony than The Martian and there’s some plot conveniences but overall it was great.
Loved this book.

Suspect's Reviews

The Deep I liked less than The Troop.

Hellbound Heart was excellent. Compact and concise story. It helps that I’m already a fan of Hellraiser, which I’m definitely rewatching this October now. This book feels like it was written and takes place around the turn of the century despite being from 1986.

Gonna start The Ruins...right now.

Hellbound Heart was excellent. Compact and concise story. It helps that I’m already a fan of Hellraiser, which I’m definitely rewatching this October now. This book feels like it was written and takes place around the turn of the century despite being from 1986.

Gonna start The Ruins...right now.
I've read The Scarlet Gospels and thought it fit nicely in that universe.

I hope you like The Ruins. I'd say you'll know about 50 pages in if it's something you want to stick with.