Phantom of the Opera

→ in
Tools    

Summary:
The Phantom of the Opera is a Hollywood adaptation of the popular theatrical play by the same name. This film follows the theatrical production very closely and tells the story of an opera house in Paris in the late 1800’s. The opera house is said to be haunted by a phantom (Gerard Butler) who gives the theater owners a request in order for him to allow the productions to continue. When the owners decide to ignore the request, the phantom begins causing havoc and becomes enamored by the beautiful Christine (Emmy Rossum).

Why You Should See This Movie:
The best way to consider whether or not you should see this film is to consider if you have seen or liked the theatrical production. If you have enjoyed the theatrical version, you will love the way in which the screenwriters stayed true to the story in terms of plot, music, costumes, etc. If, however, you find the story slow and lacking action, you will likely be bored by the long scenes filled with beautiful solo singing performances. The acting in the film is pretty great, but not the focus of the film. The best part of the movie especially in the theater is the incredible soundtrack. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s stunning music is powerful and incredible through the sound system in a movie theater.

Why You Shouldn't See This Movie:
As mentioned above, I felt as though the movie dragged a bit in places where the long musical scenes took over. If you are impatient with theses scenes, you will be bored.

Conclusion:
The Phantom of the Opera is a great adaptation of the theatrical production that stays true to the basis of the story as well as incredible sound and musical effects, and yet doesn’t quite capture the emotion and power the theater can provide.

Ok, you have a valid point that the movie does not much deviate from the original Phantom of the Opera, however, I found it to be disappointing. There was singing, yes. But there was no acting and my 9 year old sister could have choreographed better. I loved Moulin Rouge and Chicago both for their theatrical qualities and definitely for the choreography. I expected a lot more from this movie. Especially "Masquerade". I thought that would be a fantastic choreographed number, but to my dismay. And the acting was minimal. It was mostly blank stares and words with minimal feeling. I do love the soundtrack, but we owe that to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

"I can't help it..."
I felt that this was a solid screen adaptation of a classic stage play (... which I haven't seen). The film was stunning to look at, and beautiful to listen to. Sadly, some of the acting wasn't as good as it should have been, but it doesn't detract from the movie too much. Joel Schumacher has done a wonderful job, making this my second favorite film of his (the first being Tigerland).

4/5.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

The Green Lantern
I loved the movie. I was singing the songs underneath my breath. Some parts I wanted to stand up in my seat and belt out the songs.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

wow. i missed this one