A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I also liked Underwater. But I’m a sucker for any Alien ripoff really.

Just in case anyone here who doesn't keep an eye on the Movie Reviews board is interested, I just started a new favorite movies thread there, in case you feel like checking it out (and yes, there will be at least one Horror movie there, so this post isn't completely off-topic): https://www.movieforums.com/communit...24#post2296124

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
The transformation scene in AWiL is always going to be the definitive wolfing out scene. I actually liked Silver Bullet even tho the book was better. There was also Dog Soldiers :-). Didnt think much of The Wolfman.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Werewolf-adjacent post:

I was doing some inventory on my collection this weekend and was reminded that I have this one on dvd. It's a made-for-tv film directed by Dan "Dark Shadows" Curtis. A pretty solid film, for those with a high tolerance for 70s TV movies.

Somewhat spoiling the ending here:

The new Jeremy Saulnier movie is currently filming in my town, and one of the prop guys just came to my office and bought some stuff.
So AnnaSophia Robb will probably invite me to the premiere or whatever. No big deal.

The new Jeremy Saulnier movie is currently filming in my town, and one of the prop guys just came to my office and bought some stuff.
So AnnaSophia Robb will probably invite me to the premiere or whatever. No big deal.
Okay, Mr. show off.

WARNING: spoilers below
That's awesome though

Let us know how it goes when you meet Dead Bang star and Mr. Melanie Griffith, Don Johnson.

Let us know how it goes when you meet Dead Bang star and Mr. Melanie Griffith, Don Johnson.
Probably having beers with him tonight. Funny that he hasn't called me yet, though.

EDIT: and by "beers" I mean "cocaine"

That'll do, Captain. That'll do.

This is the one they had to halt shooting halfway through and recast Boyega, right? Or did that one get cancelled and now this is a new project?

This is the one they had to halt shooting halfway through and recast Boyega, right? Or did that one get cancelled and now this is a new project?
Right, that's the one. Prop guy said they're on their third actor, so I don't know who #2 was.

Right, that's the one. Prop guy said they're on their third actor, so I don't know who #2 was.
Jeez. Poor Saulnier. He's one of my favorite up and coming directors.

The Black Cat (1934) -

I watched this because it was one of Gilbert Gottfried's (R.I.P.) favorite horror movies, it stars horror legends Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff, and, well, since I've had limited time to watch movies lately, its short running time was a bonus. Oh, and there was a nice black cat at an Airbnb I stayed at, but I digress.

An American mystery writer, Peter (David Manners) and bride Joan (Julie Bishop) are honeymooning in Hungary, where they make the acquaintance of Dr. Werdegast (Lugosi). He is on his way to meet Poelzig (Karloff), a man he says is a friend, but their relationship ends up being a bit more complicated than that. Since Poelzig is a devil worshipping cultist who built his compound upon the burial ground of Hungary's bloodiest conflict, how could it not be?

Watching Lugosi and Karloff act together is as satisfying as I hoped it would be. How they convey Werdegast and Poelzig's history and rivalry excites in the same way as Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen's rivalry in the X-Men movies and not just because they also play chess. It helps that the movie makes Poelzig quite the monster - how he reduces his subjects into submissive playthings got under my skin - and that Werdegast's reasons for pursuing him are personal in the most unsettling way. The real star of the movie, however, is Poelzig's compound. A masterpiece of production design, its labyrinthine layout and retrofuturistic vibe make it a place that is compelling as it is creepy to take in, or as Werdegast puts it, "it conveys death." I didn't love Manners' performance as audience surrogate Peter, and I like how his profession ties into the ending, but I wish the movie had done more with it. The movie is still deserving of its classic status, and while it's short, it's hardly lean.

Victim of The Night
The Black Cat (1934) -

I watched this because it was one of Gilbert Gottfried's (R.I.P.) favorite horror movies, it stars horror legends Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff, and, well, since I've had limited time to watch movies lately, its short running time was a bonus. Oh, and there was a nice black cat at an Airbnb I stayed at, but I digress.

An American mystery writer, Peter (David Manners) and bride Joan (Julie Bishop) are honeymooning in Hungary, where they make the acquaintance of Dr. Werdegast (Lugosi). He is on his way to meet Poelzig (Karloff), a man he says is a friend, but their relationship ends up being a bit more complicated than that. Since Poelzig is a devil worshipping cultist who built his compound upon the burial ground of Hungary's bloodiest conflict, how could it not be?

Watching Lugosi and Karloff act together is as satisfying as I hoped it would be. How they convey Werdegast and Poelzig's history and rivalry excites in the same way as watching Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen's rivalry play out in the X-Men movies and not just because they also play chess. It helps that the movie makes Poelzig quite the monster - how he reduces his subjects into submissive playthings got under my skin - and that Werdegast's reasons for pursuing him are personal in the most unsettling way. The real star of the movie, however, is Poelzig's compound. A masterpiece of production design, its labyrinthine layout and retrofuturistic vibe make it a place that is compelling as it is creepy to take in, or as Werdegast puts it, "it conveys death." I didn't love Manners' performance as audience surrogate Peter, and I liked how his profession tied into the ending, but I wish the movie had done more with it. The movie is still deserving of its classic status, and while it's short, it's hardly lean.
I really love how weird this movie gets.

I really love how weird this movie gets.
You've gotta love that it starts with a chance encounter on a train and it
ends with Karloff playing Tocatta and Fugue on a pipe organ. Also, Lugosi's acting while he's describing his time at that prison is epic.
Looks like they acted together in seven other movies. I better get crackin'!

Victim of The Night
You've gotta love that it starts with a chance encounter on a train and it
ends with Karloff playing Tocatta and Fugue on a pipe organ. Also, Lugosi's acting while he's describing his time at that prison is epic.
Looks like they acted together in seven other movies. I better get crackin'!
I think this is the best they ever were together.
Arguably (because I really love Karloff), my favorite Karloff performance is in The Body Snatcher, which is also a really good movie, but unfortunately by that time Lugosi was already relegated to a sort of bit-role with nothing to do. It actually makes me a little sad to watch it.