Spam my Comedy Countdown ballot!

Tools    

I recommend Sex and the Single Girl (1964), starring Natalie Wood, Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda, and Lauren Bacall. I watched it today and thought it was witty, fun and laugh out loud funny. Really entertaining and enjoyable.

Favorite sports comedy, ranked by lol:

Major League
Dodgeball
Slap Shot
Bull Durham

Three Amigos (John Landis 1986)

I'd heard about this movie for the longest time, but never seen it probably because it didn't quite look like my type of comedy and I'm not the biggest fan of Chevy Chase except he was good in the Vacation films. I do like Steve Martin and Martin Short...and I did end up liking the film. Funny thing the overall plot of action actors being mistaken for real and having to defeat the bad guys using only what they learned on the movie set was a lot like Galaxy Quest.

There was some funny stuff that made me laugh, though I'm not a fan of Mel Brooks style comedy and so the 'singing bush' bit fell flat for me. But overall I enjoyed the movie.

Thanks @John-Connor
Glad you laughed, liked and enjoyed the movie CR . For me it had more lol moments than The Jerk and maybe even Dirty Rotten Scoundrels but I really need to re-watch to be sure. Probably a lock for my ballot, wouldn't want to upset El Guapo, he uses real bullets..

...Speaking of Connie Stevens - she co-stars again with Jerry Lewis in Way Way Out (1966) - a comedy sci-fi where two couples (one American and one Russian) are sent to the moon together. The Russian couple are played by Dick Shawn & Anita Eckberg!

And speaking of sci-fi... one of Jerry Lewis' early solo films was Visit to a Small Planet (1960). It seems this film was the direct inspiration for Mork and Mindy as it followed the same plot (albeit in a different era).
Sold and sold! Comedy 60s space films are a big plus for me and Anita Eckberg doesn't hurt either. I'll try to catch both of those.

Rock a Bye Baby is one of Lewis’s best comedies, in my opinion. I’ve seen 18 of his films. Other Lewis films I would recommend:

Sailor Beware
Hollywood or Bust
The Nutty Professor
The Ladies Man
The Stooge
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought highly of Rock aBye Baby. I think it's a Jerry Lewis movie for those who don't usually like Jerry Lewis. I also though it was quite touching while still being a comedy and the musical numbers while not amazing were fun.

Gotta be Happy Gilmore for me
I've not seen that Happy Gilmore I should probably watch that one, thanks.

I recommend Sex and the Single Girl (1964), starring Natalie Wood, Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda, and Lauren Bacall. I watched it today and thought it was witty, fun and laugh out loud funny. Really entertaining and enjoyable.
I got Sex and the Single Girl a few weeks ago but haven't had time to watch it. I've seen it once but wanted to check it out again.

This is the movie that made me fall in love with Natalie Wood.
Not that others wouldn't have the same effect, but this was one of her first movies I saw.

I had the same reaction to her pouting as Tony Curtis does in the movie!

And she is extra sexy in this one (she always had the appeal of being ultra attractive & beautiful, but acting very humble, like she didn't really know it - kind of the opposite of Marilyn Monroe or Jane Mansfield who were well aware they were sex goddesses and acted like it.) Natalie's allure was far more subtle.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

My Cousin Vinny (1992)

My Cousin Vinny, I would say it is one of the most universally loved comedies of all times...I've never heard anyone say it wasn't for them or they didn't like it. Captain Steel

Until now that is! OK, I didn't actually hate it...and yes I did root for Vinny during the trial when he started using his smarts and winning the case, which was my favorite part...But mostly the comedy aspects weren't to my liking. The film seems way more serious than a comedy to me. I consider this more of a crime drama with some funny bits thrown in. I just can't relax and laugh at someone when the tone of the film is so serious and they face being imprisoned or executed for a murder they didn't do. I guess I don't find that story set up funny, it found that aspect of the movie uncomfortable to watch.

As cute as Marisa Tomei was in this, her character with all the F bombs was off putting to me. Though I have to say she has the world's cutest nose.

So now I seen it and I'm glad I watched it, I did like it, just didn't love it.
Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me

You didn't like 12 Angry Men, and now you don't like My Cousin Vinny either. These are two of the best courtroom movies. Maybe you just don't like courtroom movies?

You didn't like 12 Angry Men, and now you don't like My Cousin Vinny either. These are two of the best courtroom movies. Maybe you just don't like courtroom movies?
Well, to be perfectly accurate, 12 Angry Men is really more of a jury room movie.

Maybe with the coming of daylight, Rules will tell us which courtroom movies he does like?

Well, to be perfectly accurate, 12 Angry Men is really more of a jury room movie.

Maybe with the coming of daylight, Rules will tell us which courtroom movies he does like?
I like the coming of daylight passage It's apt, indeed it's morning here and I just woke up.

Two of the best films I've seen period are courtroom films, Judgement at Nuremberg and Anatomy of a Murder.

I've wrote about 12 Angry Men so much that I'm getting tired of talking about it...but to reiterate: I find 12 Angry Men to be a riveting movie with passionate acting and what a cast of amazing actors. The cinematography is sublime, especially in the opening shots that takes us into the court building, then down the halls and finally into the jury room. Even in the jury room the camera work can really hold my attention. It is my type of movie except one thing. the jurors outside of Henry Fonda are written like simply minded fools who only exist to push the films political agenda and the worst part is it's not even convincing that the teen isn't guilty. What would've rocked if there was an epilogue that takes place some months later when the teen is caught murdering yet another victim.

My Cousin Vinny, I didn't hate it, I just don't love it like some. I'd rate it a 3/5. Pretty average actually.

"Judgement at Nuremberg" is the gold standard of courtroom drama. "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "12 Angry Men" would be my next two.

"My Cousin Vinny" is the best comical of the genre. Have to note that the court scene in "Idiocracy" is pretty amusing.

Sex and the Single Girl (1964)

My second viewing, the last time was a decade ago and I didn't remember a thing about this. I knew this had Natalie Wood and was a comedy but I didn't even remember that Tony Curtis was in it and I've been watching a few of Curtis's movies recently and I think he's a underrated actor. He's equally good at comedy and biting drama like in the classic Sweet Smell of Success. I'd say Tony Curtis was the funniest character in the movie, though Edward Everett Horton steals the show in the film's opening. I wish Horton had more time in this. I was surprised to see Henry Fonda in a light, 60s sex farce comedy. I read that this was the least favorite of his films and he didn't even like to mention he was in it. As good as an actor that Fonda is he seems so uncomfortable here and his storyline isn't even really needed.

The production of the film is unfocused and perhaps if another director and producer made this film it might have been more interesting. An example is the tonal shift of the crazy car chase on the California freeway system (weren't they in New York?) anyway the car chase stuff is kinda funny but it's odd to end strong with Larry Storch's motorcycle cop who had no prior introduction into the film. I kept looking for Ethel Merman Maybe with some editing this film would not have felt so long in the tooth. At 1 hour 50 minutes it feels like a 30 minute tv comedy stretched with filler.

Captain, Natalie Wood is all yours

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-04-13 09-33-27.png
Views:	105
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	86652  

Here's a few gooduns :

The End (1978) with Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise. Reynolds also directed this. Usually not that into his stuff but this I really liked.

So Fine (1981). Ryan O'Neil, Jack Warden & Richard Kiel. Huge fan of this, think it's a GREAT comedy, though not many seem to know or care about it.

Thursday's Game (1974). Gene Wilder and Bob Newhart!

Divorzio all'italiana (1961) with Marcello Mastroianni. If you're ever partial to a Woody Allen/Fellini style of comedy then this would really suffice.

Funny Farm (1988). If you like Chevy Chase shenanigans.

Amazon Women on The Moon (1987). What can I say?

Here's a few gooduns :

The End (1978) with Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise. Reynolds also directed this. Usually not that into his stuff but this I really liked.

So Fine (1981). Ryan O'Neil, Jack Warden & Richard Kiel. Huge fan of this, think it's a GREAT comedy, though not many seem to know or care about it.

Thursday's Game (1974). Gene Wilder and Bob Newhart!

Divorzio all'italiana (1961) with Marcello Mastroianni. If you're ever partial to a Woody Allen/Fellini style of comedy then this would really suffice.

Funny Farm (1988). If you like Chevy Chase shenanigans.

Amazon Women on The Moon (1987). What can I say?
Thanks JDG, I've not seen Amazon Women on The Moon (1987) and that looks real fun. Think I'll watch that andThursday's Game (1974), stay tuned to this channel for my reactions

An example is the tonal shift of the crazy car chase on the California freeway system (weren't they in New York?) anyway the car chase stuff is kinda funny but it's odd to end strong with Larry Storch's motorcycle cop who had no prior introduction into the film. I kept looking for Ethel Merman Maybe with some editing this film would not have felt so long in the tooth. At 1 hour 50 minutes it feels like a 30 minute tv comedy stretched with filler.

Captain, Natalie Wood is all yours
I never gave it much thought... but good observations about Henry Fonda.

I also felt all the car chasing / switching at the end was very reminiscent of Mad Mad World. It's what ultimately gave this movie more of a "zany" comedy feel.

Fran Jeffries (as Gretchen) was smokin'!
And hey, (I just looked at IMDB) and Leslie Parish was in this too!

I never gave it much thought... but good observations about Henry Fonda.

I also felt all the car chasing / switching at the end was very reminiscent of Mad Mad World. It's what ultimately gave this movie more of a "zany" comedy feel.

Fran Jeffries (as Gretchen) was smokin'!
And hey, (I just looked at IMDB) and Leslie Parish was in this too!
Yes to Fran Jeffries! Wow...! I did notice Lesile Parish too which was neat to see and another Star Trek alumni as well.

Thanks JDG, I've not seen Amazon Women on The Moon (1987) and that looks real fun. Think I'll watch that andThursday's Game (1974), stay tuned to this channel for my reactions
I'll second Amazon Women on the Moon especially for you Rules since you like 50's sci-fi - it's an excellent spoof of everything quirky about those movies.

But it's also an anthology film featuring segments by the biggest stars of the 80's (think of it as you just settled in to watch an old B-sci-fi-movie, but during the commercials your flicking around to see what else is on). The whole movie is really a satire on television and movie media at the time.

There is one guy who is so reminiscent of Earl Holliman (as the Cook) in Forbidden Planet that you may think it's him reprising his role (but it's not)!

And the Invisible Man segment is still one of the funniest bits of all time! (But I've said too much).

I'll second Amazon Women on the Moon especially for you Rules since you like 50's sci-fi - it's an excellent spoof of everything quirky about those movies.

But it's also an anthology film featuring segments by the biggest stars of the 80's (think of it as you just settled in to watch an old B-sci-fi-movie, but during the commercials your flicking around to see what else is on). The whole movie is really a satire on television and movie media at the time.

There is one guy who is so reminiscent of Earl Holliman (as the Cook) in Forbidden Planet that you may think it's him reprising his role (but it's not)!

And the Invisible Man segment is still one of the funniest bits of all time! (But I've said too much).
I just got Amazon Women on the Moon and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Hope to watch one of those tonight. While I was at it I also got The Man With Two Brains which I haven't seen since I seen it first run on a date...like a million years ago

I just got Amazon Women on the Moon and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Hope to watch one of those tonight. While I was at it I also got The Man With Two Brains which I haven't seen since I seen it first run on a date...like a million years ago
I love The Man With Two Brains (and also The Lonely Guy with Steve Martin and Charles Grodin)!

I'm thinking Amazon Women may be the last of it's kind because I can't think of any other comedy anthology movies that came after (I can't think of too many that came before except maybe Kentucky Fried Movie). Anyone know of any others?

I love The Man With Two Brains (and also The Lonely Guy with Steve Martin and Charles Grodin)!

I'm thinking Amazon Women may be the last of it's kind because I can't think of any other comedy anthology movies that came after (I can't think of too many that came before except maybe Kentucky Fried Movie). Anyone know of any others?
A couple from before I thought of would be Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask). Not a particularly common formula looking at it.