The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Just finished True Romance, so that means I only need to watch at least four (Mad Love, Magical Girl, Demons, Dolores Claiborne) before the deadline.

If I have time, I'll get to Apocalypse Now, Jaws, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I might skip those.

Baby Face (1933)

A Nietzsche reading cobbler enlightens a young woman pimped by her father that she's sitting on a purse and should put it to use. It's a simple plot and a simple movie, unlike Nietzsche. Often films this old are a bit naive, and they put too much effort into ensuring that everyone gets the point. Baby Face isn't an exception. Yeah, I get that Lily is a bitch, but I don't get how these men can't see that when she's doing everything she can to put it on display.

It's short enough to never become dull. On the other hand, its pace makes it impossible to build any characters; Lily just screws her way to the top (quite literally), and all males oblige. Baby Face tells its story too hastily, so focused on the big picture that individual scenes become hastily drawn caricatures. And the ending was lame (it felt like a post-code ending to me, but isn't the film pre-code).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Safety Last! (1923)

What a Boy WON'T do to cover up a few inaccuracies to the girl he wholeheartedly loves. lol

I have only ever seen one, Harold Lloyd, due to an HoF, and I was appreciative but lackluster.
I was raised on Sir Charles Chaplin and have endeared myself completely. I only recently watched and was quite impressed by Buster Keaton - also HoF setting my course to explore more of him.
And now, watching Lloyd's most iconic short due to hanging off a clock outside a building, I did enjoy myself watching The Boy maneuver to uphold a successful business career that he does not have. Some of them in an amusing way. Like when the call buttons send everyone to his office, he quickly steps in line with them, pretending he has no idea why they've all been called. Or the above hiding in hanging coats to avoid the landlady did put a grin on my face.

Not sure if it's my old age or fear of heights that caused my concern during the climb up the building and thinking, "F@ck that, I'd confess before climbing up that." Still, it made for an engaging climax to the film and an enjoyable watch.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Just to let @edarsenal know, the link to Takoma's Magical Girl review in the OP is kinda broken (it opens a reply to the review). And I also watched Baby Face today, so review up in a day or two.
VERY much appreciated! Fixing it now

Um, well, not quite, hold on, gimme a second.

That should do it. I THINK.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just finished True Romance, so that means I only need to watch at least four (Mad Love, Magical Girl, Demons, Dolores Claiborne) before the deadline.

If I have time, I'll get to Apocalypse Now, Jaws, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I might skip those.
Oh please. There's no way there's time.

What do you all mean? The deadline is in 12 days and I only need to watch 4 films

Speaking of which, I just started L'Amour Braque, uhhh, and this opening is quite something

EDIT: Well, I see now that it's not just the opening.

Yeah, I mean. I have my schedule set to watch the three I need to and some time to spare for my own monthly challenge before the deadline.

Of course, I still owe a bunch of reviews, but those are in progress.

Is Siddon still in this? I feel like I haven't seen him around in awhile. Hope he's okay. I don't check that many threads though, so maybe he's been active somewhere else, while I'm off in my own little bubble lol.

Is Siddon still in this? I feel like I haven't seen him around in awhile. Hope he's okay. I don't check that many threads though, so maybe he's been active somewhere else, while I'm off in my own little bubble lol.
He's still active on this forum.