Most UNIQUE Movie You've Seen?

Tools    

Anyway I refuse to give any answers of my own as a not-so-silent protest to the increasingly common practice of trying to modify "unique."

No it won't make a difference. No it won't make me feel better.

Make a better place

The Fall came to mind

I also think

A Serbian Film deserves a spot here

Anyway I refuse to give any answers of my own as a not-so-silent protest to the increasingly common practice of trying to modify "unique."

I guess you just haven't seen a movie that's the most only one of its kind.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Could you let me know in private?

I'll submit Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) as I don't know of any other full-length film that used the technique of splicing clips from dozens of classic, black & white, noir films together, interwoven with new material to form a cohesive, yet funny plot.

Also the cast list reads like a 30's - 50's who's who of Hollywood.

I'll submit Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) as I don't know of any other full-length film that used the technique of splicing clips from dozens of classic, black & white, noir films together, interwoven with new material to form a cohesive, yet funny plot.

Also the cast list reads like a 30's - 50's who's who of Hollywood.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this movie...endless re-watch appeal and I agree that it is a technical wonder, but not sure if I would call it unique.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this movie...endless re-watch appeal and I agree that it is a technical wonder, but not sure if I would call it unique.
Why would you not call it unique?

I'm sure there have been a few Noir spoofs, but nothing quite like this.

Are there any other movies like it, (meaning; which used this technique)?

I don't know of any. (There may be some lesser known anthology movies that worked something like this in, or some sketch TV shows, but I know of no other full movie that mixes spliced material from old movies and "new" material to create something completely original.)

Probably not to this extent. Zelig is about the next best example I can think of but was more documentary like. Huge fan of DMDWP too.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

I don't know of any. (There may be some lesser known anthology movies that worked something like this in, or some sketch TV shows, but I know of no other full movie that mixes spliced material from old movies and "new" material to create something completely original.)

I second James' suggestion of "Zelig". You can't expect a mockumentary to be great all around, but I'd check it out... 7.5/10

Now Zelig was unique...that movie accomplished what it was trying to do so perfectly, that about 30 minutes into the movie, I actually paused the movie and googled Leonard Zelig to see if he was a real person.

What Carl Reiner did with this film was along the same lines as Mary Poppins and Roger Rabbit...blending live action with animation. Reiner was just blending live action with other movies...he does it beautifully with the aid of a crack editing team, but it just doesn't strike me as unique. JMO.

Di je Karlo?
I recently saw Playtime by Jacques Tati. Never seen anything like it, major respect to anyone who'd have the balls to see something like this through. They definitely weren't discouraged by the idea that people wouldn't get it.

Also Seven and a Half for being a serbian movie that doesn't completely suck

I recently saw Playtime by Jacques Tati. Never seen anything like it, major respect to anyone who'd have the balls to see something like this through. They definitely weren't discouraged by the idea that people wouldn't get it.

Also Seven and a Half for being a serbian movie that doesn't completely suck
Seven and a Half sounds like my type of film.

What Carl Reiner did with this film was along the same lines as Mary Poppins and Roger Rabbit...blending live action with animation. Reiner was just blending live action with other movies...he does it beautifully with the aid of a crack editing team, but it just doesn't strike me as unique. JMO.
I understand, but the difference is Reiner used already made live-action clips and spliced them to an extent no one else had before.

A similar argument could be made about Roger Rabbit - mixing animation with live action had been done many times before, but never to the level or with the degree of precision as Roger Rabbit.

Another movie that comes to mind is Forrest Gump - but to a very limited extent - this time it was newsreel clips where they actually inserted characters from the newer movie into them.

These days with CGI they could conceivably make a new variation of DMDWP by inserting modern characters into old movies or inserting old characters into modern movies in a far more interactive fashion than simply splicing different scenes back to back (such as we saw with inserting Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing into Rogue One).

I think we'll be seeing a lot of things like this in the near future.