A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I just remember cringing through a lot of it. It was literally an aha moment for me, like, wait, there are movies that aren't enjoyable?
Interesting. I sure can relate.

But yes, it’s rather stupid and the charm wears off.

Interesting. I sure can relate.

But yes, it’s rather stupid and the charm wears off.
I mean, I'll concede that I probably need to rewatch it to have any kind of real opinion about it. But I find myself deeply uninterested in revisiting it.

Victim of The Night
There are some shots, like one of her open legs as she gets dressed for the party, that are entirely gratuitous. I also think it's absurd the she abandoned the practice of keeping the fun in her purse/pocket in favor of . . . strapping it to her inner thigh which she then lifted and exposed to the guy?

I've only watched Romancing the Stone once, on TV when I was like 11. It's one of the first films I can remember actively disliking. And I LOVED The My Little Pony Movie, so . . .
Yeah, that doesn't sound so great. But I will watch it again and see how I feel.

I really do struggle with the concept of disliking Romancing The Stone. But I'm also a 50 year-old white man.

I think Romancing Stone was probably the only film my family ever rented together, and everyone liked it. My grandfather, who couldn't give a shit about movies and only liked Zulu. My grandmother, who was hyper critical of anything she didn't make. My father, who was probably just ogling Kathleen Turner. My aunt and uncle, between trips to the bathroom to snort cocaine. And me, about six or seven years old and having never even heard of it.

Fun for the whole family!

Yeah, I figured this was the case. And I guess I'm fine considering it a part of Troma's produced films, even if it doesn't entirely 'feel' like one. But even though it isn't quite like the others, it's kind of caught half between grindhouse and the goofy shit they ended up doing in the 80's. It is almost a black comedy filled with absurdist moments of horror.

But it's also so so mean.
I think it’s sort of the film that created Troma, so I always link them even though it isn’t quite similar to their brand, though it certainly has a lot of absurd moments that would fit right in.

Eli Roth loves it! Makes sense it would be right up your alley!

Nah, I wouldn’t bother.
Just the second opinion I needed, thanks!

I really do struggle with the concept of disliking Romancing The Stone. But I'm also a 50 year-old white man.
I mean, it is the opinion of my 11-year old self, who, again, thought that the My Little Pony Movie had a compelling narrative and catchy original tunes ("Nothing can stop, the schmooooooooooze!").

My only real memories of the film are (1) think that the main character was a smarm and (2) thinking that a sequence where they slid down a muddy hill(?) looked like fun.

Are there any fans of Troma here? Over the weekend I watched The Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuke 'Em High, which I understand are Troma's crown jewels, but I gotta say, I was left pretty cold on the whole. Something about the sense of humour did not win me over. Felt a little too broad and almost unwaveringly in one register.

The Toxic Avenger was a bit better, in that it seemed to have a bit of downtime and some sort of arc, but Class of Nuke 'Em High felt like I was being shouted at for an hour and a half. Fun bits here and there, but exhausting on the whole.

Are there any worthwhile Troma movies? I enjoyed the genuine nuttiness of Nightmare Weekend, and have warmed up over time to the dumbassed attempted nihilism of Combat Shock, but I'm getting the sense that those are outliers. I see Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD is on Tubi, might give that a shot next.
I'd recommend Surf Nazis Must Die, a tale of a mom heading out of a rest home to avenge her son's death by a group of...you know.

I watched Romancing the Stone. Never seen it before. It’s not good. The leads are woefully miscast and fail at having any charm, humor or chemistry. Danny Devito is the only one who feels at home in his role but unfortunately he doesn’t have much to do. The story and character development are underwritten to the point where I was wondering if parts of the movie were missing. And it’s kinda racist towards Colombia. Uninspired is the best way I can put it the experience as a whole.

Fun fact it came out the same year as Temple of Doom and shares some of the same gags. Though the Indy flick is much, much better.
I don't know. I felt like Michael Douglas worked as the adventurer, Kathleen Turner as the romance novelist who finds herself in the plot of one of her own books and I thought it was likable enough with charm to spare.

Sure, the 80s weren't the best time for diversity in treating people from other countries with respect. And some of the humor doesn't work.

But it's one of the better adventure films of the 1980s not named Indiana Jones or Star Wars. It was its success that led Zemeckis to direct Back to the Future next.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

The kid's not wrong - that's a badass scene.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I don't know. I felt like Michael Douglas worked as the adventurer, Kathleen Turner as the romance novelist who finds herself in the plot of one of her own books and I thought it was likable enough with charm to spare.

Sure, the 80s weren't the best time for diversity in treating people from other countries with respect.
Yeah; I mean, it's not like Raiders Of The Lost Ark (which I have to imagine was something of an influence on Stone) was an ideal model for portraying people of color, especially not Arab people, so it's something you just kind of have to accept as being a "product of the times" sometimes, you know?

Captain Terror

Tell us about The Spine Of Night, if you please.
Ok, so clearly this film is aimed squarely at guys like us: fans of Heavy Metal (the film), Fire & Ice, etc. Its entire raison d'etre is to be like those films and on paper it does all the right stuff. There's witches and people with bird skulls on their faces and the fight scenes are gory. It does all the things it's supposed to do, so I'd suggest that you watch it because you might very well love it.

Unfortunately it didn't quite do it for me. I go into a film like this knowing that the story is going to be dumb and the dialogue will be cringe-y, but as long as I'm enjoying the eye candy I'm content. But here the overall look of the film wasn't appealing to me. The character designs were sort of bland, the backgrounds weren't really engaging, I just wasn't feeling it. I kept thinking "I should love this, why am I not loving this?" but I just never really got there. Now this is a matter of personal preference so again, your results might differ.
That said, there were some bits that I loved, like one segment where the characters were all in silhouette:

That showed some visual creativity that was lacking for the rest of the film. It's not without its moments, so you should definitely give it a go. You might think it's awesome and that I'm crazy.

Victim of The Night
Ok, so clearly this film is aimed squarely at guys like us: fans of Heavy Metal (the film), Fire & Ice, etc. Its entire raison d'etre is to be like those films and on paper it does all the right stuff. There's witches and people with bird skulls on their faces and the fight scenes are gory. It does all the things it's supposed to do, so I'd suggest that you watch it because you might very well love it.

Unfortunately it didn't quite do it for me. I go into a film like this knowing that the story is going to be dumb and the dialogue will be cringe-y, but as long as I'm enjoying the eye candy I'm content. But here the overall look of the film wasn't appealing to me. The character designs were sort of bland, the backgrounds weren't really engaging, I just wasn't feeling it. I kept thinking "I should love this, why am I not loving this?" but I just never really got there. Now this is a matter of personal preference so again, your results might differ.
That said, there were some bits that I loved, like one segment where the characters were all in silhouette:

That showed some visual creativity that was lacking for the rest of the film. It's not without its moments, so you should definitely give it a go. You might think it's awesome and that I'm crazy.
I'll check it out and let you know.
I love rotoscope, honestly can't get enough of it, have always thought it was the coolest thing, and I love some Heavy Metal/Fire and Ice. But, like you, I am a stickler for design in these films, like the backgrounds and the general visual allure. So we'll see.