What do you think of the coda movie?

Tools    

Love it, am happy it won Best Picture.

What are your thoughts?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

1. The Green Knight
  2. Licorice Pizza
  3. Nightmare Alley
  4. Spider-Man No Way Home
  5. Pig
  6. Passing
  7. Dune
  8. Parallel Mothers
  9. CODA
  10. Censor
I have mixed feelings about it, I'm not crazy about the timing of the award in that it's another social commentary film directed by a new female auteur after last years win of a social commentary film directed by a new female auteur. I don't think the ten best directors working in Hollywood today have a single "best picture" among them. To me that lessons the award.

I'm also very iffy on the dark money aspect of streaming films getting awards. Apple seems to go out of it's way to make prestige stuff that you can only get on Apple devices. It's also weird how it's the BP and Emlia Jones carry's the film and she could/should have won best actress but she wasn't even in the running.

At the end of the day it's a fine winner, but will we care about this film in 10 years that is the big question.

A system of cells interlinked
At the end of the day it's a fine winner, but will we care about this film in 10 years that is the big question.
It was easily my wife and my favorite of the entire bunch, and I dunno, maybe it's because it takes place where we live, but I now have it in my collection, and I do plan on returning to it as the years go buy.

Time will tell.

The trick is not minding
Enjoyed watching it in the theaters. Yes, I saw it in the theater.

Honestly loved it, even if it relied on some typical coming of age tropes.

Movie Forums Extra
here's a link to my review:
Although I had not intended to see CODA before reading your review, I have changed my mind. I'll give it a go. Thank a lot.

I've been slamming it in the "last movie" thread. It feels like an ABC tv movie. Saccharine hokum.

I wrote a variation of this in another thread, then saw this Coda-specific thread, so I'm posting a modified version here. I saw "Coda", which won Best Picture last year at the Oscars. I thought it was a decent movie. A heart warming, coming of age story, but in my opinion, there was nothing about it that really seemed Academy Award winning. I was very surprised that it won Best Picture. Additionally, I thought that both Emilia Jones, the main actress in the film, and the music teacher, who was portrayed by Eugenio Derbez, gave better performances than the Best Supporting Actor winner, Troy Kotsur.

What did everyone else think? Was anyone else kind of underwhelmed by it? I also thought a similarly themed film from a few years ago, "Sound of Metal", more successfully, and more interestingly, showcased the struggles of the deaf community and how it might feel to live with an inability to hear. For those that have seen both films, would you agree, or disagree? Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this!

Overall I liked the movie. It was a little middlebrow for my tastes (and it definitely appealed more to my partner than to myself), but the filmmaking was rock-solid throughout, with the cast being a particular standout in that regard. Troy Kotsur wouldn’t have been my supporting actor pick from last year (personally, I would have gone for Ben Affleck in The Last Duel or Willem Dafoe in Nightmare Alley instead), but he’s a really solid choice nonetheless that I was incredibly happy to see his work recognized. Granted, as far as Best Picture winners go, it’s no Parasite or Moonlight, but at least it’s no Green Book or The King’s Speech.

Wow I cant believe some people didn't like this movie, what were some of the gripes? I thought it was fantastic.

Wow I cant believe some people didn't like this movie, what were some of the gripes? I thought it was fantastic.
Happy to further clarify and explain, and thanks for your question. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say that I didn't like it. I thought it was decent, but to me, there wasn't anything that really stood out about it, and the Oscars that it won, it didn't seem to me that those aspects of the film were particularly well done in comparison to other films. For example, I thought the story was fairly cliched, and I've seen many coming of age stories that I thought were better written than Coda, and that better realized the potential of the story, yet the film won a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

I thought Mary Matalin, who played the Mom, has been much better in other similarly themed films, such as "Children of a Lesser God," and that her character didn't have much development to it. it seemed like kind of a waste of her talents to cast her in this role. Also, as I wrote, I didn't find anything special about Troy's performance, yet he won Best Supporting Actor.

I also didn't feel that the movie had much central conflict. Her parents were initially mildly resistant to the daughter doing anything outside of their business, including her singing, but quickly got onboard, so that wasn't really much of a challenge for her to overcome in the context of the movie.

I did like Emilia Jones portrayal of her character, and agree the casting in some areas was good, such as the music teacher, who I felt fit his role quite well.

Also, I think a large part of the motivation of making this movie was to humanize the deaf community, and show some of the challenges and struggles that they go through and face due to their inability to hear, yet the only scene that really meaningfully depicted that to me in a way that resonated with me was the scene on the boat where they could not hear the coast guard. I think other similarly themed films, such as "Sound of Metal," more fully realized that theme and gave me a better sense of what it might feel like to be deaf, and the challenges that brings, than "Coda" did. So, in summary, I think "Coda" was fine, a decent movie, but nothing in it, to me, stood out, yet the film won multiple Oscars, including Best Picture.

Happy to further clarify and explain, and thanks for your question. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say that I didn't like it. I thought it was decent, but to me, there wasn't anything that really stood out about it, and the Oscars that it won, it didn't seem to me that those aspects of the film were particularly well done in comparison to other films. For example, I thought the story was fairly cliched, and I've seen many coming of age stories that I thought were better written than Coda, and that better realized the potential of the story, yet the film won a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

I thought Mary Matalin, who played the Mom, has been much better in other similarly themed films, such as "Children of a Lesser God," and that her character didn't have much development to it. it seemed like kind of a waste of her talents to cast her in this role. Also, as I wrote, I didn't find anything special about Troy's performance, yet he won Best Supporting Actor.

I also didn't feel that the movie had much central conflict. Her parents were initially mildly resistant to the daughter doing anything outside of their business, including her singing, but quickly got onboard, so that wasn't really much of a challenge for her to overcome in the context of the movie.

I did like Emilia Jones portrayal of her character, and agree the casting in some areas was good, such as the music teacher, who I felt fit his role quite well.

Also, I think a large part of the motivation of making this movie was to humanize the deaf community, and show some of the challenges and struggles that they go through and face due to their inability to hear, yet the only scene that really meaningfully depicted that to me in a way that resonated with me was the scene on the boat where they could not hear the coast guard. I think other similarly themed films, such as "Sound of Metal," more fully realized that theme and gave me a better sense of what it might feel like to be deaf, and the challenges that brings, than "Coda" did. So, in summary, I think "Coda" was fine, a decent movie, but nothing in it, to me, stood out, yet the film won multiple Oscars, including Best Picture.
Thanks for the clarification! You articulated that well. I try not to get carried away into the Oscar discussion, I feel that's a whole different ballgame (I'm also not the biggest fan of what the Oscars represent especially in today's age).

I haven't really seen Matalin in much, so I'll be adding that movie to my list to check out. I do agree though, she was the weakest character (not really to do with her acting though). I just felt it was a stereotypical role and not kind of lazy to be honest. Disagree about Troy though, I loved how much range he showed, Don't know if it's "Oscar" worthy, but again I don't care all much,

Also agree that the conflict seemed to wrap up in a matter of moments, so that could have been better developed.

Happy to have this conversation though!

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I saw it the last December because it was in the nomination list for the Golden Globes.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much. It was nice Troy Kotsur receiving Oscar for supporting role but I think, it was too much CODA winning for the best picture. After all, aside from the unusual family stuff, which colorized the movie, actually, it is a regular teen film.

There was a feel that, because of the weak year no movie deserved the award so they gave it to the most innocent, kind of outsider movie. That's an usual approach.

Anyway:
7/10

I wrote a variation of this in another thread, then saw this Coda-specific thread, so I'm posting a modified version here. I saw "Coda", which won Best Picture last year at the Oscars. I thought it was a decent movie. A heart warming, coming of age story, but in my opinion, there was nothing about it that really seemed Academy Award winning. I was very surprised that it won Best Picture. Additionally, I thought that both Emilia Jones, the main actress in the film, and the music teacher, who was portrayed by Eugenio Derbez, gave better performances than the Best Supporting Actor winner, Troy Kotsur.

What did everyone else think? Was anyone else kind of underwhelmed by it? I also thought a similarly themed film from a few years ago, "Sound of Metal", more successfully, and more interestingly, showcased the struggles of the deaf community and how it might feel to live with an inability to hear. For those that have seen both films, would you agree, or disagree? Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this!
I saw both movies and I disagree with just about everything you've said here. I don't want to discuss it, I'm just offering my opinion.

I saw both movies and I disagree with just about everything you've said here. I don't want to discuss it, I'm just offering my opinion.
Thanks Gideon. Has anyone else seen both movies and agree with Gideon? If so, why, and if not, why not?