UKRAINE

Tools    

I saw the “so much of”, but I strongly disagree with his statement that “so much of the military activity since WW2 has been saber rattling or skirmishes.” I don’t agree with it at all: hence my post.
That's fine, but since anecdotal examples do not contradict his statement, it's not an expression of disagreement to mention them.

BANNED (at user request)
I saw the “so much of”, but I strongly disagree with his statement that “so much of the military activity since WW2 has been saber rattling or skirmishes.” I don’t agree with it at all: hence my post.

Wars consist of skirmishes, I don't see anything refutable about that...

BANNED (at user request)
It appears putin has either already lost or risks the end of his reign...I tried to paste the link the link but it didn't work, using my phone.

You ready? You look ready.
Re nuclear weapons: it’s important to note that the nuclear weapons of today are vastly more destructive than the ones that were dropped in WW2. We are talking destruction on a scale that’s never been seen, and I pray we never see it.

BANNED (at user request)

I just love this, thanks the article I wanted to post was separate, buy I was talking with someone about the interesting reversal the Russian winter scenario...

And yeah, let's hope the nuke doesn't get launched, very unlikely. And yeah it is possible that a nuclear launch technicians says "no", I was telling people this when they we're worried about Trump having chief of command status...funny how people on the internet hating me has turned me into an optimist!

Wars consist of skirmishes, I don't see anything refutable about that...
Skirmish in a military context means a brief period of fighting. The current relentless destruction of Ukraine unfortunately has not been brief.

Re nuclear weapons: it’s important to note that the nuclear weapons of today are vastly more destructive than the ones that were dropped in WW2. We are talking destruction on a scale that’s never been seen, and I pray we never see it.
We won’t see it because we’ll all be dead.

Ukrainians are very brave people. I pray they will prevail in this war.

Granny, far right in the photo, is 102 & this is the third war she’s lived through. The soldier far right is her grandson.

I just can’t imagine living this way seeing one’s village, town or city destroyed.

I am the Watcher in the Night
i think it's an important point to make that so much of the military activity since WW2 has been saber rattling or skirmishes.
I think this is entirely false. Europe saw full scale war and genocide in eastern europe.

The European continent has also consistently been involved in full scale war, invasion and mass murder across Africa and Asia almost non stop. The US has just come out of its longest ever war, Iraq is ongoing, NATO has been used in Libya, Syria, Iraq to name a few.

Just because Ukraine has struck a chord and is reported on every minute of every day doesn't change the fact that war did not go away...and in fact, still hasn't arrived in western europe, countries where people are mad with propaganda at the moment,.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
More and more mass graves of Ukrainian civilians are being discovered. Wanted to add pictures but these might be too drastic even for the spoiler tag. Basically the old Soviet method of tying the hands behind the back and shooting the person in the head from behind.

Next to the bodies of Ukrainians, leaflets with instructions for digging and securing mass graves.

This is a leaflet from the document ref. the standard of grave digging. It was adopted on February 1, 2022, for the Army of the Russian Federation.

But sure, go ahead and keep saying Russians are not as bad as Nazis and Putin is not as bad as Hitler. It's not Putin who's personally murdering thousands of innocent people.

I really don't know what's the solution to all this. My hatred for Russian bandits is growing day by day. It is hard to watch photos, films, and reports from cities reclaimed by Ukrainians. Due to the number of crimes, Russia should be excluded from the life of Western civilization for a very long time!

The satellite pictures out of Bucha are disturbing enough.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yeah, I just read the news about a mayor, her husband, and son being executed for not going along with the Russian demands. It's pure madness. Unnecessary retaliatory killings of small town citizens because they were too weak to capture any major cities. Their actions are precisely what I'd expect to result from their weakness. They resort to killing civilians because they can't accomplish anything. It is from the standard Russian playbook we saw twice before in Chechnya.

Yeah, I just read the news about a mayor, her husband, and son being executed for not going along with the Russian demands. It's pure madness. Unnecessary retaliatory killings of small town citizens because they were too weak to capture any major cities. Their actions are precisely what I'd expect to result from their weakness. They resort to killing civilians because they can't accomplish anything. It is from the standard Russian playbook we saw twice before in Chechnya.
Yes, there’s a photo of them (alive) in the Times today.

But this has been every war on earth: scorched earth plus the murder of civilians. It’s nothing new & it didn’t begin with Russians (not that you said it did).

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
But this has been every war on earth: scorched earth plus the murder of civilians. It’s nothing new & it didn’t begin with Russians
I don't think it's really about how these crimes are unprecedented or incomparable in scope. War crimes like this have happened before, and some of them are still relatively recent. What's it really about is how in the 21st century, in Europe, after all these atrocities Ukraine suffered at the hands of both Nazis and Soviets, we see it again.

Because it is happening in the 21st century in Europe when and where we thought that we went ahead. We think about the conquest of space, making new life-changing inventions, and eliminating diseases, and Russia is still having fun moving the border posts.

Russia's art was often riddled with propaganda. But they have a lot of great art. And I love Russian art: film, literature, music. I sing Russian songs. I always could make a distinction between the country's culture and its politics. But this is getting harder and harder.

And now we have a war. And somehow the associations with the Third Reich come to mind. After all, Germany had a wonderful culture! Poets, composers, Nobel Prize winners ... And they destroyed their entire image as a civilized nation during the Second World War. And, unfortunately, in order to cure Germany of nationalism, it was necessary to unleash the final punishment on it, break its backbone, and only then, under supervision, allow the restoration of statehood. But comparisons to Germany are not really needed, as Russians were comparably evil during the Second World War. They were lucky to be on the side of the winners of World War II (they changed sides, though). Their animal behavior has never been judged like that of Nazi Germany. In an ideally moral world, both German and Russian regimes should collapse during or after the war. Unfortunately, in the case of Russia, this never happened, and today Ukraine has to deal with the consequences of this. Because the Russian World War II criminals were never punished, it allowed Russia to build the myth of "Great Russia". No big mental change took place, and animal behavior is still an acceptable norm. Already their actions in Chechnya and Georgia clearly indicated this.

There is a problem with the narrative that what's wrong is not Russia, it's individuals. But first, a particular culture has bred these people into the world, and a particular culture has taught them how to conduct themselves as human beings. Secondly, Russia has been in the same poor direction for decades, not because of any hostile actions by Western agents, but through its own choices. Germany could be in a similar situation, but somehow not only corrected its course but also made a remarkable change in the narrative of its country. Meanwhile, Russia has been standing in the same way since the Bolsheviks, and as soon as it lifts its head, the neighboring countries are filled with thousands of corpses.

Putin is a symptom of Russian society, not some individual operating in a vacuum. Many Russian apologists say that it's all only Putin's fault, but bringing the war in Ukraine down to "it's all Putin's fault" is a shameful oversimplification equal to "every Russian is evil". Putin, the war on Ukraine, and Russia's imperialist aspirations are supported by a big chunk of Russian society. People protest the war in thousands but not in millions. This is the result of years of propaganda, Russian national consciousness, and lack of education. Of course, none of this is axiomatic with "let's hate every Russian person now", but rather it is an indication that the issue lies much deeper than Putin. The world is all resentful now, but then the world will forget and begin absolving. And then another Putin will come. And another war.

During the first days of the war, I even had some compassion for Russian soldiers. But now any compassion is gone. All normal people have either deserted or were shot for insubordination. Whoever stayed was either a beast from the very beginning or became a beast very fast. When one looks at such bestiality, I really think that Ukrainian soldiers have great compassion for these bastards.

This was a school.

The power of a photo. After a month of hunger & thirst her small town has been liberated.