The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Also, does anyone hate it when it when you're writing a sentence online and only one word continues to the next line? That's always been a pet peeve of mine for some reason.

You can always try adding in superfluous words, or cutting something out to make it more visually appealing. An extra comment works too*.

*-I added this unnecessary comment to avoid having just one word on the last line lol

My Dog Skip

I actually do think I've seen this before. That would make sense since my wife and I watch all the dog movies that come out, even before we had our dogs. I am a total sucker for these movies even though they are practically torture for me to watch. I'm not minimizing anybody's love for their pets, but rather just speaking for my wife and I. Our two dogs are our first dogs and we never had any children. They are everything to us. Just the thought of anything happening to them is just too painful to take. If my Randy in my avatar didn't completely recover from his recent issue, there's no way I would've been able to watch this, and it would've been some time before anyone saw me on the forum again.

Spoilers

My eyes teared up the second Skip appeared in the film. That's how vulnerable I am to this stuff. All of these movies are cliched and manipulative, and I accept that. This particular movie had a chance to be a Stand By Me type of classic except with Skip instead of friends. There was potential with the era with everything that was happening at the time, but I'm afraid it mostly failed. I just didn't care for the way most of it played out, and I especially didn't like how it wrapped up. Having the boy get angry at Skip was enough, but to have that dirtbag hit him with a shovel was way too much. Then, the kid goes off to college and leaves his dog. Under no circumstance would I ever leave one of my dogs. I know this is probably normal for a lot of people but it made me sick.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And now, a personal greeting to our Single Digit Premium Members' After Hours Lounge
@jiraffejustin, @pahaK, @Siddon, @Thief, @TheUsualSuspect

And WELCOME to the final month of this, our 27th HoF.
At this time I'd like to inform our Members of one of the Exclusive Benefits of this Membership - just recently added - we will be Featuring a NO REMINDER Zone and hope your journey - that I shall be accompanying you with, be a relaxing one as we make our way to the Deadline Date.

***Exclusive to Premium Members Only and, maybe their pets, I don't know, we'll see

As ALWAYS, A downright DEElight to take this stroll with you and a Special HowDiddley to my dear fellow Late Night Last Nighters.

Also, should anyone need the occasional hydration during our saunter, this Exclusive Membership DOES include an Unlimited and at ZERO cost to you, so be sure to partake from our AWARD WINNING (Nonexisting) Refreshment Center

Let me notify the staff to dim the lights, just a bit, to kind of set the mood. . .

--Aw f@ck, the dogs told me this sh#t would happen--

Um, yeah, so, anyway,

So, SIT BACK,
RELAX as we meander our way to the Deadline.

I have a mad dash to the finish line planned for the first week of April

BTW, @edarsenal, it doesn't make any difference, but you still haven't updated my count on the first page to include Baby Face (and I still owe a Midnight Cowboy review)

In reality, I'm in the two-digit club as I've watched My Dog Skip a couple of days ago. I just haven't written about it yet.
I think we can all guess the outcome

Aw, I wanted to be in the single digits club. This is such an abuse of hosting power.
::insert mad with power bouts of laughter and slightly sinister but more comical snickering here::

but, yeah, pretty much

BTW, @edarsenal, it doesn't make any difference, but you still haven't updated my count on the first page to include Baby Face (and I still owe a Midnight Cowboy review)
I forgot to post about this, had gone off to eat, and forgot. But, yeah, about a week behind due to a brand new job and different schedule, but I'll get all caught up tomorrow (Sunday)
Sorry for all of that.

In reality, I'm in the two-digit club as I've watched My Dog Skip a couple of days ago. I just haven't written about it yet.
Perhaps we can adjust to a two-drink maximum and some toiletries swag from our Sponsors instead? And on behalf of Management, this coupon for: Buy something and if you like, buy something else.

I forgot to post about this, had gone off to eat, and forgot. But, yeah, about a week behind due to a brand new job and different schedule, but I'll get all caught up tomorrow (Sunday)
Sorry for all of that.
Look at you, apologizing to me for being "behind" on this

MIDNIGHT COWBOY
(1969, Schlessinger)

"Uh, well, sir, I ain't a f'real cowboy. But I am one helluva stud!"

That's the "letter of presentation" of Joe Buck (Jon Voight), a Texan dishwasher that leaves everything behind and moves to New York City with illusions of becoming a male prostitute. But success on any field requires more than illusions and a change of scenery.

Midnight Cowboy follows Buck's journey as he struggles to make ends meet. We don't get a lot of background on him and why he decided to follow this path, but coming from a rural town, you get the idea that he probably was a "big fish in a small pond". However, moving to the biggest city in the US certainly puts him in a much bigger pond; one that he has trouble navigating in.

At some point, he meets "Ratso" (Dustin Hoffman), a street con man, and despite a shaky start, they quickly become friends as they both struggle to survive in the harsh environment of the Big Apple. Buck is naïve and perhaps not that clever, while Ratso's health is quickly deteriorating, and both performances successfully convey the sadness beneath their exterior surfaces.

I have to say that this film was absolutely nothing like I was expecting. Based on its reputation because of its rating and the few promotional pictures I had seen, I was expecting something more... aggressive and cold. But what I got was a tragic and heartfelt look at the unlikely friendship between these two men looking for literal and figurative warmth.

Grade:

I want to rewatch Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Apocalypse Now for this, but just to get ahead a bit, I will probably write something about them in the next few days. I mean, I've seen them several times (or a loooot of times, in the case of Jaws and Raiders), but if I do rewatch them, I'll add something then.

I will have a few done soon.
Always appreciated, and I know ya all. We done this many a time and will, hopefully, many more.
I know we'll hit the deadline and if one or two need a bit o' time. . . I gotcha.
We're good.

True Romance (1993) -

This film was a mixed bag for me. For one, I don't know what it was going for with the characters. Clarence and Alabama's flaws are left out in the open,
WARNING: spoilers below
but given the weird 'they live happily ever after' ending,
it seems like you're meant to root for the two of them, and that connection just wasn't there for me. Like, Clarence's Elvis Presley hallucination in the first act screamed "This guy needs serious help!" and I kept that impression all throughout the film. Alabama didn't prove much better in this regard as the way she shrugged Clarence's violence off (the line "I think what you did is so romantic" made me cringe so hard) also annoyed me. As per Tarantino style, the action is highly stylized, but I found very little of it exciting. Those scenes really could've used some tightening up in terms of editing and cinematography. Even the final shootout, though interesting on paper, suffered from this to a degree. With that being said, I liked a few aspects about this film. Tarantino's writing style isn't for everyone, and while a couple scenes like the n word conversation are cringe inducing, I enjoyed most of the dialogue and felt it brought enough style to the film to keep it entertaining from beginning to end. Tarantino has a talent for writing catchy and witty scripts and this film was no exception to that. The film also lives up to another of Tarantino's strengths as it has a strong ensemble cast. Slater, Hopper, Walken, Rubinek, Rapaport, and even Arquette, though her acting occasionally annoyed me, ranged from good to great. Finally, while the story didn't interest me much, I did enjoy a few smaller scenes within the larger story, like Elliot being pulled over by a cop. Issues aside, I enjoyed my time with this film and, while I doubt I'll ever end up loving it, I might watch it again if I'm in the right mood.

I'll dm my ballot in a bit.

My Dog Skip (2000)

I suppose most people have nostalgic feelings towards childhood. I definitely remember being happier as a kid. Growing up eats away the wonders of life and reveals the cesspool that lies behind the facade of humanity. My Dog Skip is nostalgia on overdrive. In fact, there's nothing else in the whole movie (except a few heavy-handed lessons about morality).

I like my coming-of-age stories to be dark and twisted. These family-friendly versions feel like Stephen King character introductions; we have these kids, but we lack all the horrible things that'll happen to them. Where's the fun in that? I didn't watch these "kid and animal" films even as a kid. I'm not baffled by their popularity, but they're not for me.

I can't really hate My Dog Skip, but it was a tiring experience. There's no conflict per se, and it's formulaic to a point you can predict dialogue before it's spoken. It's like a film made for a teacher to show to a class; something an adult would fancy a kid to like, but most kids would find boring.