Uncensored video of Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars

Tools    

“There’s no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A. “ – Will Smith

“If you’re absent during my struggle don’t expect to be present during my success.” – Will Smith

Again, as someone who had a major chronic health condition and has heard jokes like that, it is entirely up to Jada to decide if it was a soft one and how she should feel about it. What gives anyone the right to decide if the people affected should be offended or not? Let’s take the piss out of Gaga’s fibromyalgia and Michael Douglas’ cancer, why the **** not, it’s all good fun, he hasn’t died yet?

The “role model”/“vehicle for love” speech aspect certainly was hypocritical (and ********), yes, but then again, as I said above, it was no more hypocritical than the fact no one had a problem with the joke because apparently Jada wasn’t enough of a “persecuted minority”. Imagine if it had been a joke on transgender people or LGBT people or something.

I appreciate your perspective, but I could write the exact same post saying Rock’s behaviour was a “****ing disgrace” and that he stooped to the lowest level of freak show-type cringe comedy etc etc, and neither of us would be in the right or wrong. I guess this one is, once again, down to opinion.
Just speaking for myself here-- My issue is not whether or not JPS should be offended or not, that's her call. My issue is her (beloved-role-model-to-many) husband's decision to publicly slap someone over it.

I know a 9-year-old who goes to school every day praying that her wig doesn't fall off during gym class. I would be livid if I heard someone make a joke at her expense, but that doesn't give me permission to assault people without repercussions.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” – Will Smith

I think we need a Will Smith toxic masculinity montage with this slap, the scene in Bad Boys 2 where him and Martin Lawrence bully the kid, okay lots of scenes from Bad Boys 2...

You ready? You look ready.
Just speaking for myself here-- My issue is not whether or not JPS should be offended or not, that's her call. My issue is her (beloved-role-model-to-many) husband's decision to publicly slap someone over it.
What's crazy is he had that Cro-Magnon "she's my property" vibes to the whole thing. Like all the worst traits of masculinity in less than 5 seconds. The swagger, the slap, the "my wife". Dude was full on cringe. That relationship is already wrecked, and he's just pushing other people's heads down to keep from drowning. Fame and wealth is for the weak Willed. xD
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

My issue is her (beloved-role-model-to-many) husband's decision to publicly slap someone over it.

…I would be livid if I heard someone make a joke at her expense, but that doesn't give me permission to assault people without repercussions.
Right. Well, I can certainly understand that perspective and it’s entirely reasonable.

“If you don’t fight for what you want, don’t cry for what you lost.” – Will Smith

What's crazy is he had that Cro-Magnon "she's my property" vibes to the whole thing. Like all the worst traits of masculinity in less than 5 seconds. The swagger, the slap, the "my wife".
Well, we are all speaking for ourselves here, obviously. I know I would really appreciate it if it were me. And yes, I am very much speaking from experience.

"Its not like I'm calling her Mrs. Potatohead, just waiting to get her holes filled." - Chris Rock

Original comment by Reddit user u/theclumsy1

Well, we are all speaking for ourselves here, obviously. I know I would really appreciate it if it were me. And yes, I am very much speaking from experience.
Same. If a man doesn’t come to his wife’s defense, there’s something wrong IMO.

“99% is the same as zero. If you are gonna do 99, go ahead and stay home.” – Will Smith

You ready? You look ready.
There’s coming to your defense and then there’s having a temper tantrum/public meltdown. They are mutually exclusive.

But defense over a joke or an insult would be words in kind... not physically assaulting someone.

If such a blow as that (looked) was done with a closed hand - it could kill someone.

And such things have happened... people are permanently crippled or killed regularly by blows to the head committed by those assaulting them.

Would you really want to be "defended" over a joke by having your husband in jail for a life sentence over what turned out to be fatal assault?

"Money and success don’t change people; they merely amplify what is already there.” – Will Smith