Uncensored video of Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars

Tools    

The punch was obviously fake - that's easy to see.

Since there wasn't really a joke here, I wonder why they went with THIS particular schtick to create buzz?

I think I would've rather seen Borat come down from the ceiling in his underwear and land on someone's face!

The punch was obviously fake - that's easy to see.
Huh? You can see it strike him.

He seems genuinely fazed, and everyone around seems incredibly uncomfortable, too.

Anything could be faked (but really, to what end?), but I don't see a single thing to indicate it.

Huh? You can see it strike him.

He seems genuinely fazed, and everyone around seems incredibly uncomfortable, too.

Anything could be faked (but really, to what end?), but I don't see a single thing to indicate it.
I can't see it connect. It looks like a classic stunt punch where the fist misses by a mile (or a good 6 inches, anyway).

I watched a couple different versions on YouTube. I think the camera angle from the back makes it look like Smith is closer than he actually is.

Also, Chris Rock's reaction is not realistic - his hands are behind his back - if someone breaks script and comes at you on stage, you're at least going to get your hands ready for whatever might happen by instinct. But even after Chris gets hit - his hands go back behind his back (as if this is all expected and rehearsed).

If you got punched as hard as that was supposed to sound, your first reflex reaction would be to grab / touch your own face - but Chris doesn't do that. You'd also be a lot more startled & stunned at least for a few seconds, but Chris seems relatively unfazed & recovers almost instantly.

I'm also wondering to what end?

P.S. After watching closely a few more times I edited some of my former observations.

I can't. I watched a couple different versions on YouTube. Looks like Smith is about a good 3 feet away from Rock (and yeah, I realize Will has a long reach but...) the camera angle from the back makes it look like he's in striking distance.
Yeah, I dunno what to say dude, I'm watching it and you can see his hand on his face. He's nowhere near three feet away. And the angle in this video is partially from the side.

Also, Chris Rock's reaction is not realistic - his hands are behind his back the entire time - if someone breaks script and comes at you on stage, you're at least going to get your hands ready for whatever might happen. But even after Chris gets hit - his hands are STILL behind his back (as if this is all expected and rehearsed). If you got punched as hard as that was supposed to sound, your first reflex reaction would be to grab / touch your own face - but Chris doesn't do that.
It's not a punch, it's a slap. Slaps don't knock you on your ass, at all. It's a perfectly normal reaction physically, but regardless, I meant everything else: I mean how he seems a little dazed, a little indignant, how his line after is a little off, how he takes awhile to gather himself.

It's kinda dissonant to think it's both staged but that they didn't bother to do anything to stage it properly, anyway.

1/ If it was staged I don't think they would've included 2 f-bombs
2/ If it was staged I don't think they would've had so much of the action occur with Will Smith off-mic
3/ It it was staged I'm sure they would've written some sort of conclusion. It probably would've been lame and unfunny, but not this open-ended awkwardness. Unless Andy Kaufman has risen from the grave and is now writing Oscar bits.

Yeah, I dunno what to say dude, I'm watching it and you can see his hand on his face. He's nowhere near three feet away. And the angle in this video is partially from the side.

It's not a punch, it's a slap. Slaps don't knock you on your ass, at all. It's a perfectly normal reaction physically, but regardless, I meant everything else: I mean how he seems a little dazed, a little indignant, how his line after is a little off, how he takes awhile to gather himself.

It's kinda dissonant to think it's both staged but that they didn't bother to do anything to stage it properly, anyway.

After watching some more I had to edit some of my initial comments, Chris.

Yes, looking at their feet positions, Smith does look to be in striking distance.

I still don't see it connect, and it's hard to tell if it's a punch or a slap (although Smith's hand appears open afterwards).

I agree, the whole thing is rather weird either way. (If it was real, couldn't Chris Rock easily press assault charges if he wanted to? There would be no lack of witnesses!)

I guess the Oscars was worth seeing after all… I was ready to just bore myself with the usuals but damn this got things to another level. I’m still in shock. Everything that happened after that cannot top that moment.

And no way in hell it’s fake.

I didn't watch the show or even make my picks on the forum because for once I didn't know a single movie involved. I just came across this thread and this incident sure seems real to me. It's pretty ugly and I can't fathom any good reason to fake it.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
That was 100% real. Will laughed at first until he seen his wife’s reaction. Then will screaming f-bombs afterwards with absolute anger in his face was real. Also the fact Will didn’t make light of it afterwards makes me think it’s real.

No way would the Oscar’s condone violence like that and not make everyone aware it’s a joke isn’t happening.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
GI Jane joke might have been harsh, but that's the job and par for the course for Rock's style of jokes. That reaction is unacceptable, IMO. It's the wrong time, the wrong forum, and on international television for all the world to see, potentially triggering all kinds of trash level speculation and judgments. Smith, for right or wrong, should be above that at his status and role model position. Yes, stand up for your wife, but with good judgment and consideration to more than the self in the moment. I'm kind of shocked, to say the least.

It's obviously, 100% real. There is nothing about that which appears scripted. Nothing. And as everyone has already said, why the hell would anyone agree to such a stunt if it was faked? It wasn't played for laughs. It was legitimately unsettling. It makes Will Smith, on a night where he wins an Oscar, look horrible. And The Academy simply doesn't play that kind of performance art shit.

Chris Rock made a joke about Jada having a shaved head... thing is, she's suffering with alopecia.
Rock basically made a joke out of her medical condition... and it's not the first time Chris has made jokes about Jada's condition.

Seemed Smith used the ball of his hand across the jaw, rather than an actual punch, but as far as I've read it was real.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Chris Rock made a joke about Jada having a shaved head... thing is, she's suffering with alopecia.
Rock basically made a joke out of her medical condition... and it's not the first time Chris has made jokes about Jada's condition.

Seemed Smith used the ball of his hand across the jaw, rather than an actual punch, but as far as I've read it was real.
So?. It’s still only a light hearted joke coming from a comedian. Bald Men get made fun of all the time that have conditions too. Ricky Gervais has said far worse to these celebrities over the years and they have just had to laugh it off. Will should of just seen Chris backstage and spoke to him.

Lol Will Smith is a b*tch, laughing it up and then storming up the stage because wifey doesn’t approve. Self righteous assh*le

Really was a good actor on his speech