Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Watched with my son and wife. Wife hated it, my son and I loved it, hahahahaha

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Strangely, I had seen this before, but not the entire thing. Very odd.

Good movie. Jessie Buckley excellent. Very strange movie.

Jessie needs a skilled hairdresser stat. Her hair is beyond strange.

Did anyone review this movie? Can’t find any comments on it. Probably buried in this thread someplace.

Good movie, but I wouldn’t want to see it again. It’s a lot.

Huge fan of Leonardo & he never disappoints. Lawrence also excellent. Jonah Hill & Cate Blanchett both very funny.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Room at the Top (1959)
+++ A well-crafted romantic tragedy, filmed beautifully from England featuring the always exquisite Simone Signoret.

Joe Lampton (Laurence Harvey) is a callous, ambitious accountant blindly driven to take what he deserves. A place at the very top. His contempt for the rich, or rather their disregard for him, fuels his intent by attaining it by seducing the daughter of his firm's boss, played by Heather Sears.
The glitch? He finds himself falling in love with an older married woman (Simone Signoret) to yet another rich snob that insults his lowly status from high above.

A very slippery slope pitting the obsession to be an equal of the upper class and thereby have it all via upmanship and finding real love by a d@mn good person.
One that Room at the Top takes quite the harsh tumble over the precipe before it's all done.
A raw, visceral battle of the darker emotions on the field of social classes that I found relentless and thoroughly engaging.

The Batman

Well, I guess I just don't get it. I've never been the biggest fan of comic book films but I did always find The Dark Knight , TDK Rises & The Joker fairly compelling special films. But this one just missed the mark for me. I think the greatest benifit to marvel films is that they don't take themselves too seriously, I get it that's not the vibe DC was going for here, but in this case makes it extremely difficult for me to connect.

When I heard that Pattison would be the new batman I was actually excited. He was great in The Lighthouse. In no way was his range shown in this one. I get it, batman is supposed to be a sulky loner detective. But was there a single compelling moment in this three hours drag? Seriously at what moment as Wayne or Batman was he in the least bit captivating?

Production value as expected was great, the action sequences were intense enough for how bland the actual story line is. I did prefer the latter half when it was more of a detective chase, but even through it somehow just falls flat and too comic-booky, did anyone really get invested about the Riddler hints?

Maybe I'm just being a party pooper

-

Room at the Top (1959)
+++ A well-crafted romantic tragedy, filmed beautifully from England featuring the always exquisite Simone Signoret.

Joe Lampton (Laurence Harvey) is a callous, ambitious accountant blindly driven to take what he deserves. A place at the very top. His contempt for the rich, or rather their disregard for him, fuels his intent by attaining it by seducing the daughter of his firm's boss, played by Heather Sears.
The glitch? He finds himself falling in love with an older married woman (Simone Signoret) to yet another rich snob that insults his lowly status from high above.

A very slippery slope pitting the obsession to be an equal of the upper class and thereby have it all via upmanship and finding real love by a d@mn good person.
One that Room at the Top takes quite the harsh tumble over the precipe before it's all done.
A raw, visceral battle of the darker emotions on the field of social classes that I found relentless and thoroughly engaging.
Excellent movie & I recently bought the dvd for my collection.

Have you seen Harvey in Darling with Julie Christie? I think you would like it.

The Batman

Well, I guess I just don't get it. I've never been the biggest fan of comic book films but I did always find The Dark Knight , TDK Rises & The Joker fairly compelling special films. But this one just missed the mark for me. I think the greatest benifit to marvel films is that they don't take themselves too seriously, I get it that's not the vibe DC was going for here, but in this case makes it extremely difficult for me to connect.

When I heard that Pattison would be the new batman I was actually excited. He was great in The Lighthouse. In no way was his range shown in this one. I get it, batman is supposed to be a sulky loner detective. But was there a single compelling moment in this three hours drag? Seriously at what moment as Wayne or Batman was he in the least bit captivating?

Production value as expected was great, the action sequences were intense enough for how bland the actual story line is. I did prefer the latter half when it was more of a detective chase, but even through it somehow just falls flat and too comic-booky, did anyone really get invested about the Riddler hints?

Maybe I'm just being a party pooper

-
More or less what the New Yorker magazine said in its review last week.

Did anyone review this movie? Can’t find any comments on it. Probably buried in this thread someplace.
Yeah, I've seen people rate anywhere from 2 to maybe 5 here. Mine was a 3.5 I believe, with the same thoughts as you.

After Yang - I haven't had a chance to watch Columbus, director Kogonada's first feature film. But the trailer and stars, John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson, immediately drew me in. This also has an engaging plot and it's cast includes Colin Farrell, Jodie Turner-Smith and Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja with Richardson appearing again, this time in a smaller supporting role. It's set in a non-specified future where artificial beings can be purchased as caretakers. Yang (Justin H. Min) is just such a being and he's part of a family unit where Jake (Farrell) and Kira (Turner-Smith) have adopted Mika (Tjandrawidjaja). Yang was to function as a connection or touchstone to Mika's Chinese roots but he comes to play an all encompassing role as a mentor and surrogate father. Jake has drawn away from his family and it takes a malfunction on Yang's part for him to realize this.

This quiet and contemplative film tries it's hand at tackling several weighty subjects but there's no way a 96 minute movie can adequately address something as far-reaching as what it means to be human. It does however provide plenty of intimate and evocative moments. A primer of sorts. Or quite literally a scrapbook that Jake accesses when the schismatic technician that he calls on in his attempt to fix Yang inadvertently finds what he mistakes for spyware. It turns out to be Yang's memory bank and Jake is compelled to delve deeper and deeper into the mystery of someone he was largely indifferent to. And I think that with this realization he also comes to understand the depth of his apathy.

Great visuals in this. A lot of care taken in setting up shots and in setting a mood. The small cast is note perfect and Farrell again shows why he should be considered in the upper echelon of actors. The kid actor is adorable. Kogonada doesn't tie the ending up in a pretty bow. But it does close on a restorative note and the viewer is left gratified.

85/100

Room at the Top (1959)
Life at the Top (1965), also starring Harvey, is a solid sequel worth checking out also. It has a slightly cheaper and trashier feel which in some ways seems appropriate.

I forgot the opening line.

By Poster scan, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16769338

Harakiri - (1962)

Great storytelling, really special film. This had me glued to the screen for it's entire runtime, and waiting with baited breath for what was about to happen in the present-day scenes where a rōnin has pledged to commit seppuku in the courtyard of a palace, but delays by telling the story of what brought him there - talking to the very culprits responsible for the gruesome death of his son-in-law which is replayed in agonizing fashion towards the start of the film. Looks great, there's no overbearing score and Tatsuya Nakadai plays his part particularly well. Engrossing and exciting, with a tension that just builds and builds and builds to it's final denouement. Loved it.

9.5/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 79/100

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

SF = Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Twins (Ivan Reitman, 1988)
6.5/10
Manhattan Melodrama (W.S. Van Dyke, 1934)
6/10
Exploited (Jon Abrahams, 2022)
+ 4.5/10
Wattstax (Mel Stuart, 1973)
7/10

Isaac Hayes is the last performer at the 1972 Watts Festival before an attendance of 112,000 at the L.A. Colisseum. Other performers in the film include The Staple Singers, Rufus Thomas, The Bar-Kays and Richard Pryor.
The Power of Kangwon Province (Hong Sang-soo, 1998)
5/10
Weekend at Bernie's (Ted Kotcheff, 1989)
5.5/10
Offseason (Mickey Keating, 2021)
+ 5/10
Richard Pryor: Live in Concert (Jeff Margolis, 1979)
9/10

Richard Pryor in all his glory in my go-to film to make me smile, laugh out loud and cry. Everything he does here is humanly relatable, and he's one of the greatest impressionists ever. It will be right near the top of my Top Comedy List.
The Exorcism of God (Alejandro Hidalgo, 2021)
5/10
Johnny Eager (Mervyn LeRoy, 1941)
6/10
Lost Horizon (Frank Capra, 1937)
7+/10
Dog (Reid Carolin & Channing Tatum, 2022)
+ 6/10

Mentally-unbalanced Army Ranger Channing Tatum has to take the Ranger Dog Lulu, who has similar problems, to the funeral of another Ranger in four days. On the way, they get into lots of trouble and slowly begin to warm to each other.
The Dark Angel (Sidney Franklin, 1935)
6.5/10
Outsiders AKA No Running (Delmar Washington, 2021)
5/10
Back to School (Alan Metter, 1986)
6.5/10
Moon Manor (Erin Granat & Machete Bang Bang, 2022)
+ 6/10

Interesting life story and film techniques are on display with Jim Carrozo playing himself as a man with Alzheimer's disease who decides to have an assisted suicide in a unique way with all his friends and obit writer Lou Taylor Pucci attending while he has a "FUNeral".
Dodsworth (William Wyler, 1936)
6.5/10
Ultrasound (Rob Schroeder, 2021)
5/10
Gorky Park (Michael Apted, 1983)
6/10
Spider-Man: No Way Home (Jon Watts, 2021)
7/10

Spider-Men, super villains and super heroes up the yinyang, basically making this a recap and a reboot of all the Spider-Man and perhaps almost all super hero movies as well.

THE POWER OF THE DOG
(2021, Campion)

"Bronco Henry told me that a man was made by patience in the odds against him."

Set in the early 20th Century, The Power of the Dog follows brothers and ranchers Phil and George Burbank (Benedict Cumberbatch and Jesse Plemons). When George meets and marries Rose (Kirsten Dunst), the dynamics between the three of them, as well as with her teenage son, Peter (Kodi Smit-McPhee) bring turmoil to the family.

Jane Campion delivers both a beautiful and mournful direction to this story, evoking the tragic nature of the characters. All of the performances deliver, especially Smit-McPhee, who plays Peter as someone you just can't pin down, and someone to whom the above quote might apply way more than we might think. However, it is Cumberbatch who has the focus most of the time, and he handles all the layers in Phil's persona very well.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot