What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

So I was waiting for the price to go down (it's retailing for 3-4 hundred) I had a lot of cash back so the price finally dropped down to 100 bucks.

Amazon sent it in a FCUKING BAG
I bought it because I'm a horror nut, my birthday is coming up and Lake of the Dead is the movie I plan on watching for my birthday.
Wow, that's a pretty amazing collection! It looks like you can go here to see everything that's in it. Not to belittle this collection or collecting DVDs in general, but you can rent almost all of them on Amazon Prime and many for less than a dollar.

As for me, I bought The Howling because it was cheaper than the VOD rental price and I've never seen it before.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
The last DVDs I bought were the extended edition of The Lord of The Rings trilogy. There are very few DVDs of them around, tends to be more Blueray's these days, and had to pay a bit over the odds for them but it was money well spent.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Not to belittle this collection or collecting DVDs in general, but you can rent almost all of them on Amazon Prime and many for less than a dollar..
Lots of the films have shown up on Shudder since the release as well, but just about every film comes with 3 or 4 short films as extras. Honestly, I was just as excited to get a clean copy of the '72 animated Sleepy Hollow as I was the featured films.

I pre-ordered mine from Severin, and it shipped in this customized white box. I have no use for it now, but I can't bring myself to discard it either. (plus some cool stickers)

Lots of the films have shown up on Shudder since the release as well, but just about every film comes with 3 or 4 short films as extras. Honestly, I was just as excited to get a clean copy of the '72 animated Sleepy Hollow as I was the featured films.

I pre-ordered mine from Severin, and it shipped in this customized white box. I have no use for it now, but I can't bring myself to discard it either. (plus some cool stickers)

I say, keep it!
Plus, with all that hay and those stickers, there's serious diorama potential.

I got the Arrow Cold War Creatures blu ray box set today. It has Creature With the Atom Brain, The Werewolf, Zombies of Mora Tau, and The Giant Claw.

gosh loved the box and the stickers.

Billy Bob Thornton's Sling Blade. It's one of my favorite films, but I purchased a specific edition because it contains the director's cut. The director's cut never made it to Blu-ray.

a kid with reviews in his pod

The Dune (2021) Blu-Ray/4K steelbook.

Being a huge Dune fan and a huge Timothée Chalamet fan, I simply had to have this for collection-sake. I adored this adaption of the first book and am waiting with baited breath for the movies that are to follow.

Billy Bob Thornton's Sling Blade. It's one of my favorite films, but I purchased a specific edition because it contains the director's cut. The director's cut never made it to Blu-ray.

I have also done this for similar films in the past. The only real reason I buy DVDs anymore, as opposed to Blu-rays or, more recently, Ultra HD Blu-rays, is to have access to something that hasn't crossed over to newer formats. For instance...

I picked up this edition of Pearl Harbor on DVD. The director's cut is only available on this edition.

Similarly, The Criterion Collection DVD edition of Armageddon (a film that I have actually yet to even watch) features the director's cut, exclusive to this edition.

I am now looking out for a specific edition of XXX on DVD, another film I have yet to see. This particular edition features a director's cut that hasn't made it to newer formats.

I have also done this for similar films in the past. The only real reason I buy DVDs anymore, as opposed to Blu-rays or, more recently, Ultra HD Blu-rays, is to have access to something that hasn't crossed over to newer formats. For instance...

I picked up this edition of Pearl Harbor on DVD. The director's cut is only available on this edition.

Similarly, The Criterion Collection DVD edition of Armageddon (a film that I have actually yet to even watch) features the director's cut, exclusive to this edition.

I am now looking out for a specific edition of XXX on DVD, another film I have yet to see. This particular edition features a director's cut that hasn't made it to newer formats.

theres 2 more triple x adter the first one

I went to the mall and got 3 Criterion blu rays and 2 Kino blu rays.

The Flight of the Phoenix
Love Jones
The Last Waltz
Man's Favourite Sport
Bedtime Story

I went to the mall and got 3 Criterion blu rays and 2 Kino blu rays.

The Flight of the Phoenix
Love Jones
The Last Waltz
Man's Favourite Sport
Bedtime Story
I’ve seen The Last Waltz a million times.

You ready? You look ready.

I have the first three on DVD via the Adventure Pack released back in 2005, but I recently wanted to watch the Jurassic World sequels. They had them as a 2 movie pack on Blu-ray without digital copy, but for $10 dollars more I could get all 5 with digital copy. Figured it was time to upgrade, and I was not about to buy them on 4K. That price would have doubled the cost and didn’t make sense given the age of the first three.