Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Against the Ice (2021)
++ A slow-burning, but, for me, quite engaging "based on true incidents" film of an 1909 Arctic expedition in Greenland.

It centers on the harsh two years of being lost in the frozen arctic tundra of Greenland. During an expedition to prove that Greenland is not separated by two landmasses, settling a dispute with the U.S. looking to snatch up the northern section of Greenland.

This movie is far from intense. The 400 plus days of the explorer and his greenhorn volunteer is still an intriguing watch for my roommate and me. We enjoyed both the cinematic beauty and the various hardships they endured and fully understood why it is a labor of love by leading actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

After Yang (Kogonada, 2021)
5.5/10
Isabella (Matías Piñeiro, 2020)
5/10
Creation Stories (Nick Moran, 2021)
6/10
War Party (Franc Roddam, 1988)
- 6.5/10

In a town full of racial tension near a Montana reservation, a re-enactment of a battle erupts in death with more to probably follow. Young Blackfeet Billy Wirth and Kevin Dillon are in the middle of the trouble.
Nightride (Stephen Fingleton, 2021)
5.5/10
The Desperate Riders (Michael Feifer, 2022)
+ 4.5/10
Fresh (Mimi Cave, 2022)
6/10
Tootsie (Sydney Pollack, 1982)
8/10

Dustin Hoffman poses as a woman to get work as an actor on a soap opera, and his feminism starts to influence others on the show, including Jessica Lange.
American Renegades (Steven Quale, 2017)
6/10
The Changed (Michael Mongillo, 2021)
5/10
Indemnity (Travis Taute, 2021)
5.5/10
Lucy and Desi (Amy Poehler, 2022)
7/10

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz made one of the most influential TV shows in history ["i Love Lucy"], and it even extended to having their children as part of the plotline.
A Day to Die (Wes Miller, 2022)
5/10
Lions for Lambs (Robert Redford, 2007)
6/10
They Live in the Grey (Vang Bros., 2022)
+ 5/10
Rain Man (Barry Levinson, 1988)
7/10

Autistic savant Dustin Hoffman finally agrees with his selfish brother (Tom Cruise) after he goes on a road trip with him where they come to learn about each other.
Project Gemini (Serik Beyseu, 2022)
5/10
Batman (Leslie H. Martinson, 1966)
6/10
Asking for It (Eamon O'Rourke, 2021)
5/10
Batman & Bill (Don Argott & Sheena M. Joyce, 2017)
- 7/10

Bill Finger and Bob Kane co-created Batman, but from what's revealed in this doc, and there's no good reason not to believe it, Finger was the main creator of many of the characters and plot points.

Noah’s Shark (2021) Directed by Mark Polonia. A cheesy B movie. It's not good, but has some fun moments. Could have used more shark scenes. I've seen worse.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=61470531

Honey Boy - (2019)

I'm often confronted by actors I don't particularly like impressing me with performances and career moves that belie some of their earlier choices. Shia LaBeouf is simply great here as James Lort - a character that is based on Jeffrey LaBeouf, Shia's father. The film takes place during two time periods - an uneasy present, where a 22 year-old Otis Lort - a hugely famous actor - is in rehab after being arrested during a drunken rampage, and a traumatic past when a 12 year-old Lort is emotionally and physically abused by an unbalanced father. That power dynamic - between a son (still a child) with wealth and power and a father who has been to prison for rape, is an alcoholic and suffers from his own trauma - is what makes Honey Boy absolutely riveting. The modern-day scenes don't do as much, but it is well worth watching this film just for the scenes between young Noah Jupe and Shia LaBeouf playing a version of his own father. Otis begins to recognize he has some kind of moral superiority to his father, and when he takes into account he's already outshone his dad career-wise he begins to talk down to him - that sends James into a psychological tail-spin where the abuse starts to escalate and both father and son begin to disintegrate. Soon enough, Otis starts to crave the love that all human beings need - something he searches for with a sad desperation. This is a film I really wouldn't mind seeing multiple times.

8/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.lecinemaestpolitique.fr/i...n-masculine-2/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35327302

The Intouchables - (2011)

I completely ruined The Intouchables for myself by watching remake The Upside before it. The former is clearly superior to the latter - but throughout the entire viewing I had the feeling of watching something I'd already seen. I'm never doing that again - it's not something I did on purpose. The Upside just happened to be on and I watched it. I really don't know why it took me over 10 years to get to this popular French film - and I feel slightly robbed. But it was good.

7/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2020/greenland.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=66154663

Greenland - (2020)

Basically a combination of Deep Impact and 2012, this film is shallow entertainment, but at least it's decent shallow entertainment. I can't really fault it on much, except perhaps an overreliance on melodrama. Towards the end you really have to put in an extra effort to suspend disbelief. Yeah - things get a little unbelievable, but there are some other big budget disaster epics that are far more fanciful than this. Just a family and a planet-killing comet that's due to hit the Earth in 24 hours - a topic that's been explored enough for one to start making "Top 10" lists about them.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I'm often confronted by actors I don't particularly like impressing me with performances and career moves that belie some of their earlier choices
Shia LaBeouf is such a conundrum for me. I think he's a person with some serious issues (probably at some intersection of mental health and addiction), and he's clearly done harm to many people in his life. But he also does some consistently interesting and brilliant things. I don't know. The stuff FKA Twigs said about their relationship was pretty disturbing and has really distanced me from being able to enjoy watching him.

SF = Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I forgot the opening line.
Shia LaBeouf is such a conundrum for me. I think he's a person with some serious issues (probably at some intersection of mental health and addiction), and he's clearly done harm to many people in his life. But he also does some consistently interesting and brilliant things. I don't know. The stuff FKA Twigs said about their relationship was pretty disturbing and has really distanced me from being able to enjoy watching him.
He strikes me as the kind of person where if I actually knew him personally I'd dislike him with a quiet kind of intensity. I guess playing that kind of character in Honey Boy clicked, because we're meant to loathe him in it, and he seemed to be saying "I know I'm an awful person and I've started to examine myself in an attempt to change." However much people can really change, I don't know.

I’m a big Batman fan but I’ve preferred B:TAS over the live action movies. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the Burton flicks and TDK but even those have their problems, the big one for me is it’s not enough Batman.

And I get it. The suit is unwieldy, impractical and uncomfortable. You want to see your actor’s face and I can’t even begin to fathom trying to shoot a fight scene in it. But still, it’s always disappointing how little Batman is actually in Batman movies.

In The Batman he’s Batman the entire time. Like B:TAS he’s only Bruce Wayne when a scene specifically calls for it, otherwise he’s in the suit, even when he’s just standing around doing nothing, On top of that it’s gorgeously shot and thrillingly paced. Nothing we haven’t seen before from a Batman story but it’s told damn well. I don’t know if it’s the best Batman movie but it’s definitely the most Batman movie and I’m very satisfied.
Well, I did like it a lot on the whole, enough that it's currently my second favorite Batfilm, but I would still have to put it below The Dark Knight as the high water mark of the franchise; Reeves is a good director in general, but his talent is more at individual setpieces, with a certain amount of "downtime" inbetween, whie Nolan at his best is great at maintaining a consistent intensity throughout, which made his film more impactful for me. I am a fan of both, though!

1st Re-watch. I don't know, but I found this movie way funnier on this re-watch. It's really quite brilliant, right up there with stuff like Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and Airplane. Jonathan Lynn's direction is meticulous and the ensemble cast is perfection. I'm upping my original rating.

Just saw him in this very excellent movie. I don’t really care what he’s done off-screen: I like him as an actor very much.

I think @AgrippinaX would like this movie unless she’s put off by Shia.

Rewatch of Trier’s second part of his trilogy. I like this much better than the first part. The final third of the trilogy is not available for streaming, at least right now, so no clue how we’re supposed to see it.

Kinda nutty, but I enjoyed it very much. Amy Adams carried the movie.

Just saw him in this very excellent movie. I don’t really care what he’s done off-screen: I like him as an actor very much.

I think @AgrippinaX would like this movie unless she’s put off by Shia.

You’re right, I really loved the film and I don’t mind Shia at all.

You’re right, I really loved the film and I don’t mind Shia at all.
Kirby was brand-new to me. Excellent actress. Ellen Burstyn always a treat.

THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD

A fantastic "coming of age" story that asks the question of when exactly does one come of age? In their teens? In their 30s? When tragedy strikes? Or is life an ever shifting, ever evolving state of being until it inevitably ends?

It's a movie as fascinated by the banal intricacies of life as it is with grand dramatic events and treats them with the same microscopic focus and intimacies.

Like most of the Scandinavian films I've seen, it manages to balance it's bleak existential angst with style, quirky, low-key humor and compassion.

I loved it and it's currently one of my favorites or any Oscar nominated films.

5/5

Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle (1987, Éric Rohmer)

A Tale of Springtime (1990, Éric Rohmer)

Vanessa Kirby was in the first two season of The Crown. She played Princess Margaret.
I hated The Crown. Not gonna watch her in it.

THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD

A fantastic "coming of age" story that asks the question of when exactly does one come of age? In their teens? In their 30s? When tragedy strikes? Or is life an ever shifting, ever evolving state of being until it inevitably ends?

It's a movie as fascinated by the banal intricacies of life as it is with grand dramatic events and treats them with the same microscopic focus and intimacies.

Like most of the Danish films I've seen, it manages to balance it's bleak existential angst with style, quirky, low-key humor and compassion.

I loved it and it's currently one of my favorites or any Oscar nominated films.

5/5
Isn’t it Norwegian?

Indeed, that she is. Do have a look through Kirby’s filmography, I think there’s a lot you might like.
I did. Nothing resonated.