The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
I'd like to be part of this! (Even if I do dismally) - I'm relatively new, so not an old hand at picking just the right film for everyone, but I've had a little while to gauge.

The kind of comedies I like? Dark. Or at least intelligent. I'm not a big fan of older kind of Three Stooges kind of comedies - so please, nothing like that. Instead, stuff like you'd get from Bobcat Goldthwait, Taika Waititi - you know, guys whose name is really hard to spell. Preferably, there's some kind of taboos being broken - or else something political, relevant or clever. I think Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Monty Python were great. Plain old slapstick isn't for me. I'm not going to laugh just because some guy slipped on a banana peel.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Is this based on lists or are they open to all comedies?
For this time, it's open to any movie, not just from the list, as long as the person hasn't seen it. Hopefully we all discover some good comedy gems.

My comedy likes and dislikes are:

I'm not big on comedies from the last few years, I prefer 20th century comedies. British humor doesn't usually work for me and neither does foreign comedies or animation. I'm not into vulgar or extreme comedies. I do actually like some of Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, etc type movies if they aren't too wacked. Oh I'm a big John Candy fan, but I've already seen every single one of his films.

For this time, it's open to any movie, not just from the list, as long as the person hasn't seen it. Hopefully we all discover some good comedy gems.

Okay then I'm in

As for my comedy taste...

I like smart comedies...WC Fields over Marx Brothers, Lemmon and Matthau over Lewis and Martin. I enjoy a good satire, Shaun of the Dead, Walk Hard, Undercover Brother etc. I like horror comedy but not the gross out type, less is more when it comes to humor for me.

I'm interested but still up every night taking care of my boy, don't know if I can commit to anything yet. Hoping in a week everything back to normal.

Send your comedy choices for the other members to me by PM and try and include a 2nd or 3rd choice if possible. You can always check peoples Letterboxd accounts to see if they watched it or not. I don't have one those myself.

So far the members are:
Citizen Rules
Allaby
John Dumbear
Wyldesyde
Ueno Station
edarsenal
TheUsualSuspect
Phoenix74
Siddon

Watch the 2nd post as that's where I list the members as they join.

So far a lot of comedy choices are coming in to by PM, cool! Lots of neat choices. I was going to message the members and ask each time if they had seen their chosen films, but to make it easier on all, I think I'll wait until the reveal and post the movie choices then. If you've seen some of your choices already, let me know and will go with a 2nd choice.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Looks like we're off to a great start of folks.
I do like having references placed in the first few posts so we can read up and make better attempts at our choices.

Aw, heck. Sure.

But man, I can already see my name placed at #(however many people enter this thing).

I'm not into comedy that is mean-spirited, features animal cruelty at all (including simulated), or that mainly hinges on "cringe". (Yes, I know that I recommended Thunder Road which is all about awkwardness, but it's more the exception than the rule). I like movies that excel at physical comedy, or are witty. I like romantic comedies, musical comedies, horror comedies, and I'm fine with off-kilter stuff. I can handle crude jokes/nudity or explicit language, but I'm not into gross-out humor.

Some comedies I've rated highly:
City Lights
It Happened One Night
To Be Or Not To Be
Born Yesterday
Roman Holiday
Some Like It Hot
Life of Brian
Great Muppet Caper
After Hours
Brain Damage
Say Anything
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey
Dead Alive
Mumford
Cookie's Fortune
Happy Accidents
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Mean Girls
Kung Fu Hustle
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Hot Fuzz
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Black Dynamite
Four Lions
The Guard
What We Do in the Shadows
The Nice Guys
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Paddington/Paddington 2
BlacKKKlansman
The Velocipastor
The Spy Who Dumped Me
Thunder Road
Knives Out
Booksmart
The Farewell
Palm Springs
Shiva Baby
Another Round
Mitchells vs the Machines

I'm in and very excited for this. Thank you very much CR for hosting
Good to hear and glad you can join!

I think this is a great idea, but not sure how good I would be at recommending comedies.
You'd be great! You've done well in the past PRs overall picking films for people. No different than picking other movies in the last PR. If anything I think my choices might be less liked than average, but I'll do my best.

Oh, I should say on the 2nd post I have links to where people say what they like and dislike in comedy. That can help as does Top 10 Profile movies and Letterboxd scores.

Aw, heck. Sure.

But man, I can already see my name placed at #(however many people enter this thing).

I'm not into comedy that is mean-spirited, features animal cruelty at all (including simulated), or that mainly hinges on "cringe". (Yes, I know that I recommended Thunder Road which is all about awkwardness, but it's more the exception than the rule). I like movies that excel at physical comedy, or are witty. I like romantic comedies, musical comedies, horror comedies, and I'm fine with off-kilter stuff. I can handle crude jokes/nudity or explicit language, but I'm not into gross-out humor.
Welcome! That's a well written post as it gives us a lot of info on your likes/dislikes. I should add more to my own post on that subject.

So far a lot of comedy choices are coming in to by PM, cool! Lots of neat choices. I was going to message the members and ask each time if they had seen their chosen films, but to make it easier on all, I think I'll wait until the reveal and post the movie choices then. If you've seen some of your choices already, let me know and will go with a 2nd choice.
Question?

Thought this was like "Movie Roulette" thread where we were paired up first and directed films toward your partner.

Or do we direct movies to all participants? How many films do I put up?

Examples of my favorite comedies are Animal House, The Hangover, Trading Places, Stripes, and Caddyshack, but I enjoy a wide variety.
I knew you liked Bill Murray that's why I made the image on the 1st post.