The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sorry I've been absent, one of my dogs is dealing with a health issue and I can't focus on anything else. The doctor thinks he'll be better in a week or 2 and then I'll be back in action.
as with everyone else, hopes and best wishes with your beloved pooch's health.
Take care, cricket!

I forgot the opening line.
Apocalypse Now Redux (1979)

...So I am unsure exactly what was added beyond, I believe, the French Plantation, which some may think bogs things down; it, for me, was an informational perspective other than the usual U.S. mentality and a minor history lesson regarding the French's occupation of Indochina...
Others have already stated the opposite in their reviews, but I've always regarded the French Plantation segment of Apocalypse Now Redux very informative, and think it really gives an added perspective on how America's involvement in Vietnam differed so much from most other wars of conquest/defense. Not to mention that I really enjoy that segment of the film a great deal even aside from that. If Willard's journey down that river is taken as a trip back in time, it also makes sense that he'd have some kind of contact with the French colonialist period of Vietnam.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Others have already stated the opposite in their reviews, but I've always regarded the French Plantation segment of Apocalypse Now Redux very informative, and think it really gives an added perspective on how America's involvement in Vietnam differed so much from most other wars of conquest/defense. Not to mention that I really enjoy that segment of the film a great deal even aside from that. If Willard's journey down that river is taken as a trip back in time, it also makes sense that he'd have some kind of contact with the French colonialist period of Vietnam.
Something I had no prior knowledge of so I rather enjoyed for those same reasons.

One Cut of the Dead -
CONTAINS SPOILERS

I like meta entertainment and this joins Shadow of the Vampire and Too Many Cooks as one of the most fun examples of it I've seen. The movie has almost every trademark of the format that I admire about it and it does a good job at pulling them off. I particularly like how the lead actress, Chinatsu, goes from mediocre at portraying fear to 100% convincing upon facing "real" danger. My favorite meta moment, however, has to be the end credits fake out. Believe it or not, I was so invested in what was happening that I thought the movie was over, but to my surprise, an entire hour remained!

During the "making of" portion, despite knowing that it's another layer of the onion, I was in a state of constant anticipation of having the rug pulled out from under me once more. I thought this would affect my enjoyment of the movie, but I missed the sensation when it ended and I credit the movie for making me care enough to feel this way. Besides, that's not all I felt: there's plenty of laughs, especially in the scenes involving Shinichiro's, umm...bowel trouble, and plenty to smile about like the director's daughter's horror obsession. All the same, this may say more about me than the movie since I've seen my fair share of zombie horror from 28 Days Later to as much as I could stand of The Walking Dead, but I wish it were a little scarier. I still had a lot of fun and I have even more appreciation of the blood, sweat, tears and good luck that go into producing low budget entertainment. Now, if only there were another layer of the onion to peel back...

Safety Last! (1923) -

When I first watched this film a few or however many years ago (it's hard to remember this stuff nowadays lol), it was among my favorite silent films. Given the somewhat mixed (or generally positive) reactions it received in this thread from a few posters, I was wondering whether I'd like it less this time around, but while I can understand some of the issues people have with it (the cat gag is definitely problematic and cruel), I found the film to be just as great as I remembered it being, more even. Unlike some other silent comedies I've seen (e.g. Chaplin), this film didn't move me or have much emotional resonance, but I don't think it needed it. Through a variety of cleverly-timed and well-executed gags, this film ranks among the most entertaining silent comedies I've seen. When I first watched it, I felt it dragged somewhat in the first couple acts, but that portion of the film fared much better for me this time around. (If you're reading this sentence, reply to this review with a picture of a dog; the first person to do this wins) Not only did I find more gags to enjoy, but I also enjoyed the punchlines at the ends of a few of them. For instance, after a customer has Lloyd bring out every piece of fabric he has on display to the counter, she says she likes the first one he showed her the most and only takes a small piece of it. Brilliant. The climbing sequence in the final act is easily the highlight of the film though. The obstacles Lloyd runs into throughout the climb are memorable and the cat and mouse chase his friend gets into along the way makes for an extra layer of suspense. I can see why the sequence is as iconic as it is. Since the strengths of the film revolve around the precision-timing and execution of its gags, I found that any attempts by the film to insert pathos into the mix fell flat for me (Lloyd imagining his girlfriend wearing a piece of jewelry or how he's not being able to buy any food after spending his entire paycheck). Fortunately though, these scenes are few and very far in between. Overall, I'm glad I got to revisit this film as it went up for me this viewing.

Next Up: The Secret of Roan Innish

Safety Last! (1923) -

When I first watched this film a few or however many years ago (it's hard to remember this stuff nowadays lol), it was among my favorite silent films. Given the somewhat mixed (or generally positive) reactions it received in this thread from a few posters, I was wondering whether I'd like it less this time around, but while I can understand some of the issues people have with it (the cat gag is definitely problematic and cruel), I found the film to be just as great as I remembered it being, more even. Unlike some other silent comedies I've seen (e.g. Chaplin), this film didn't move me or have much emotional resonance, but I don't think it needed it. Through a variety of cleverly-timed and well-executed gags, this film ranks among the most entertaining silent comedies I've seen. When I first watched it, I felt it dragged somewhat in the first couple acts, but that portion of the film fared much better for me this time around. (If you're reading this sentence, reply to this review with a picture of a dog; the first person to do this wins) Not only did I find more gags to enjoy, but I also enjoyed the punchlines at the ends of a few of them. For instance, after a customer has Lloyd bring out every piece of fabric he has on display to the counter, she says she likes the first one he showed her the most and only takes a small piece of it. Brilliant. The climbing sequence in the final act is easily the highlight of the film though. The obstacles Lloyd runs into throughout the climb are memorable and the cat and mouse chase his friend gets into along the way makes for an extra layer of suspense. I can see why the sequence is as iconic as it is. Since the strengths of the film revolve around the precision-timing and execution of its gags, I found that any attempts by the film to insert pathos into the mix fell flat for me (Lloyd imagining his girlfriend wearing a piece of jewelry or how he's not being able to buy any food after spending his entire paycheck). Fortunately though, these scenes are few and very far in between. Overall, I'm glad I got to revisit this film as it went up for me this viewing.

Next Up: The Secret of Roan Innish
Nice review! I hadn't seen Safety Last! before this Hall of Fame, although I'd been meaning to. I thought it was great. And :

Magical Girl - 2014

Directed by Carlos Vermut

Written by Carlos Vermut

Starring Luis Bermejo, Bárbara Lennie, José Sacristán
& Lucía Pollán

Well written characters appear to be driving a story all by themselves, with the influence of the writer seeming to have disappeared, and such are the characters in Magical Girl - they're three-dimensional, and part of the reason I found the film so enjoyable to watch. Not knowing where the story was going to go is something I savored - as far too often these days I know exactly where a story is going, but the three principal figures in this do the unexpected, and do so while still in keeping with who these people are. Being introduced to them before, for the most part, their fates entangle, I initially thought this was going to be some kind of anthology much like Magnolia - but Magical Girl is far from that. Carlos Vermut's screenplay digs downwards, and pulls us with it once our fascination has fixated on the fate of it's life-like and very human personalities. You won't be uplifted, but you will feel like you've been told a really scintillating tale - the moral of which is don't go on to a dark path, even if your reasons are full of pure and heartfelt love. It will consume you, and destroy everything you care about. Pay heed to both your emotional and rational sides.

Luis (Luis Bermejo) is a single father, and his daughter Alicia (Lucía Pollán) is terminally ill. All of his thoughts center around making the little time she has left special, and as such he's determined to buy her a one-of-a-kind costume which belongs to her favourite character - 'Magical Girl' - from Japanese television. Unfortunately, this costume costs a fortune, and Luis is unable to borrow the money from anyone he knows or raise the funds himself. When he happens to cross paths with Bárbara (Bárbara Lennie) he thinks he's stumbled into his answer, but there will be consequences for the actions he decides to instigate, and this will involve ex-convict Damián (José Sacristán). Bárbara is a fascinating character played with a certain intensity by Lennie. She's obviously mentally unwell, and her husband strictly tries to make sure she takes medication to quell her demons - although it appears he's often unsuccessful. There is one great scene where she somewhat uncomfortably holds a friend's baby - and then confides to the mother something that, although meant in jest, is absolutely chilling. You know right off the bat that any part of the story that involves her will be subject to her unstable whims.

Luis' relationship with Alicia is also very involving and interesting. His love for his daughter is apparent, and a source of anguish knowing that she will pass away before long, but this leads to him becoming distracted and distant - his obsession with finding a means to buy her the costume she has wished for means he has less time to spend by her side during her illness, an irony that the film explores. There's no-one to really fault for this aside from a society that places too much emphasis on material goods and their value being insanely out of proportion with people's needs. In the meantime he grapples with his unusual circumstances when Alicia asks to be able to smoke a cigarette and drink alcohol despite her being a tender 12 years of age. Being in the position he is, Luis finds it impossible to refuse his daughter anything, which is really what propels the story forward and makes Luis a complicated protagonist. This didn't stop me from begging him to reconsider the path he eventually decides to take, and simply give himself up to her rather than try to pacify her with material goods.

Damián appears at first more mysterious, and it will take some time before his part to play in the story really becomes clear. For much of the film he simply exist as an older man who sits in his apartment doing a jigsaw puzzle*. Only later do we learn of his criminal past, and connection to Bárbara. José Sacristán, as Damián, is responsible for bringing the film to it's climax and the actor really delivers well - as all the actors do in this film. His delicate yet rough, experienced exterior and interior give him a relatable quality despite being involved with the criminal underworld - and he really seems to be the moral arbiter of the tale, which doesn't exactly unfold the way he expects it to. He cares for Bárbara perhaps a little too much considering how unbalanced she is, but he has a long history with her and obviously means well, having once been a teacher and guardian. His moral standing is never more questionable as when the credits start to roll however, as he certainly loses the audience completely as events spiral out of control - in the end all of our characters appear to be both victims of fate and circumstance, but also perpetrators and authors of their own destiny.

More than once, in reference to Bárbara, who is central to everything in Magical Girl, we listen to 'La niña de fuego' (The Girl of Fire) performed by Manolo Caracol which certainly fits her, but also interesting is the inclusion of 'Song of Black Lizard' by Akihiro Miwa. The Black Lizard, which is a motif that makes it's presence felt during one of the film's most dark moments, is in relation to 1968 film Black Lizard directed by Kinji Fukasaku, which is based on a novel by Rampo Edogawa about the underworld and was a noted inspiration for the film as was the Magical Girl anime series in Japan which have been appearing in different forms since the 1960s. On the surface it sounds like a strange and exotic mix of influences for writer and director Carlos Vermut to be drawing from. Vermut specifically referred to Puella Magi Madoka Magica a Magical Girl anime show from 2011 in which girls were granted wishes and magical powers, but realise that much pain and suffering are the price to pay for wielding them. This mix of influence and song transform what is very much a Spanish worldview which questions it's identity and meaning.

One of Magical Girl's underworld figures puts this self examination thus : "It’s funny that Spain is the country where bullfighting is most popular. Do you know why Spain is in perennial clash? Because we don’t know whether we are a rational or an emotional country. The Nordic, countries for example are cerebral countries. Still, Arabs or Latinos have accepted their passionate side with no complex or guilt. They all know which side dominates. We Spaniards are in a balance hanging right in the middle. That’s the way we are, like bullfights. And what are bullfights? The depiction of struggle between instinct and technique. Between emotion and reason. We have to accept our instincts and learn to handle them like if they were a bull, so they don’t destroy us.” Luis, an unemployed teacher in the midst of selling his prized books during an economic crisis while looking after a terminally ill daughter is in the midst of this push and pull between the intellectual and emotional, as is Damián, who was also a teacher and has been tested himself by Bárbara. It's a destructive conflict that Carlos Vermut explores in a way that is viscerally thrilling and makes a memorable film.

Emotion and reason, passion and calculation. That Vermut handles the material so well, and directs his actors so expertly has me wanting to search his other films out, which are few so far as this is a filmmaker at the very starting point of his career. His debut, Diamond Flash was released online and hasn't been seen by many, but was well regarded enough to see that he found backers for this great film and has gone on to direct Quién te cantará (Who Will Sing to You) in 2018 and write the screenplay for The Grandmother in 2021. He has the potential to be a great Spanish filmmaker, and I was thinking about Pedro Almodóvar while watching Magical Girl as I thought this ranged into the quality spectrum that Almodóvar occupies. Vermut has sectioned his film into three chapters, 'World', 'Devil' and 'Flesh' which represent the three enemies of the soul in Christianity. This cinematic journey relates to more than Christians however, but all people who face the kinds of decisions which pit their emotions up against the more rational side of their mind.

Pedro Almodóvar himself has written an article praising the work of Carlos Vermut, and he no doubt enjoyed Magical Girl a great deal himself. It's an Alice in Wonderland-inspired trip (Alicia representing Alice and Luis representing her father - Lewis Carroll) with many clever little references inserted in many places (note the Rampo search engine Luis uses, which references Rampo Edogawa, the author of Black Lizard.) These are the kinds of film I enjoy a great deal. It ended up winning the Silver Shell (Concha de Plata) at the San Sebastian International Film Festival and Bárbara Lennie ended up winning the Goya Award for Best Actress at the 29th Goya Awards ceremony for her superb performance as the damaged and psychologically volatile Bárbara in it - a performance which is thoroughly enjoyable to watch. It's a film full of life, the unexpected and relevant meaning to us all. I can imagine that many in the audience might recoil at it's ending, but I'm glad Vermut didn't take a backward step, and that he's not at the mercy of the Hollywood machine. This film needed to be unambiguous, and to end with such a full stop - such a descent, into such an underworld, demanded it. It nevertheless had me with a lump in my throat - Alicia dressed up and looking like Alice in Wonderland in a situation that was as real as Alice in Wonderland is fantasy. Remember - it's just a movie. Only - it's a really good one.

* An extraordinary coincidence. When I saw Damián doing the jigsaw puzzle I thought back to a time when I'd just moved into a new apartment myself, and a jigsaw puzzle I did in the first few days while settling in. The Ravensburger 3000-piece puzzle of the painting of a naval battle happened to be exactly the same jigsaw that Damián gets given to himself in this film.

True Romance (1993)

First things first: True Romance meets the expectations; it feels like a Tarantino movie, but it looks like a Tony Scott film. It has all the QT trademarks already, but either because of his youth or having someone else at the helm, they're not as strongly emphasized yet. He's already disguising speeches as dialogue, but at least the monologues don't go on for minutes.

I think True Romance falters when it tries to arouse sympathy for its young lovers. I found both the QT alter ego and his wife annoying and unlikable. Because of that, the ending made me feel nothing, and I was never really rooting for them throughout the journey. The supporting cast and their caricature characters were way more interesting.

I don't remember what I thought of True Romance back when it came out (I only remembered Pitt's pothead character and some Elvis stuff). Considering I haven't rewatched it earlier, I probably wrote it off as mediocre as today. I don't know what else to say. Well, I'm not a great Tarantino fan, but I respect that he's clearly writing for himself, damn others with their worthless opinions.

(If you're reading this sentence, reply to this review with a picture of a dog; the first person to do this wins)
Were you just in a fun mood, or was this a clever way to see who actually reads the reviews instead of skimming them?

Vermut has sectioned his film into three chapters, 'World', 'Devil' and 'Flesh' which represent the three enemies of the soul in Christianity.
That's an interesting catch that never would've occurred to me (as I'm not really familiar with Christian mythology). "Devil" is pretty obvious in retrospect though, haha.

* An extraordinary coincidence. When I saw Damián doing the jigsaw puzzle I thought back to a time when I'd just moved into a new apartment myself, and a jigsaw puzzle I did in the first few days while settling in. The Ravensburger 3000-piece puzzle of the painting of a naval battle happened to be exactly the same jigsaw that Damián gets given to himself in this film.
I have only, at most, helped complete a few 1000 piece puzzles lol. If it were even possible for me to finish one that's 3k, it would definitely takes ages.

Safety Last! (1923) -

Next Up: The Secret of Roan Inish
Good review, although I like the scenes with pathos a bit more than you do for how they humanize Lloyd's character and add stakes to his quest to make Mildred believe he's made something of himself.

I'm not just taking an opportunity to show off my dog. Honest.

(If you're reading this sentence, reply to this review with a picture of a dog; the first person to do this wins)
I read the sentence last night, but was too lazy to post a dog pic because someone had already beat me to it and I don't have a dog.

Perhaps a Dawg pic will suffice?

I have only, at most, helped complete a few 1000 piece puzzles lol. If it were even possible for me to finish one that's 3k, it would definitely takes ages.

Ravensburger keeps upping the ante, since there are those who keep wanting to beat their own records. This puzzle is over 40,000 pieces. Personally, I got to finish a few 6000 piece ones before I retired (they take about a year of dedication, and who has the time these days really) - I never tried to beat that record mainly because of the space you need though. Even for 6000 piece ones I needed to buy a big board to slide it around on. That 3000 piece one Damián is doing in Magical Girl was the very last puzzle I ever did - back in 2014.

This puzzle is over 40,000 pieces. Personally, I got to finish a few 6000 piece ones before I retired.
That's just nuts. 1,000 pieces is my limit but I usually won't do more than 500. I'm not a patient person and I have cats that like to mess with stuff so anything that takes more than a day to complete just isn't going to happen.

That's just nuts. 1,000 pieces is my limit but I usually won't do more than 500. I'm not a patient person and I have cats that like to mess with stuff so anything that takes more than a day to complete just isn't going to happen.
I had a free-roaming bird that used to like to steal pieces and take them back to it's cage. Nowadays I have cats as well, so that helps keep me in retirement. Especially young Pinky, who loves to get into absolutely everything. Probably just as well I don't have that bird anymore...